•?•?•?• Support The Art Of FILM PHOTOGRPHY • • •

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by orlovphoto, Dec 20, 2011.

1. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know it's not mentioned there in the movie, but we WILL be teaching pinhole photography as part of our workshops and demonstrations. PLease check out this project and support it if you can. It is meant to educate the public about the wonders of traditional photography and to KEEP FILM ALIVE.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/351976604/the-photo-palace-bus

Thank you.
    Anton

P.S. If you pledge or even if you don't - please re-post this link somewhere, that will help us find that magical someone who believes in education enough to pledge large :smile:

Namaste.

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Think we've got the message.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi anton

good luck with your project !

4. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks jnanian :smile: A little luck is all we need.

5. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm wondering if there are more expedient ways of accomplishing your goal ("KEEP FILM ALIVE") other than dumping your girlfriend, quitting your job, begging for money to buy a decommissioned school bus and keep you wandering around aimlessly for a few years...

6. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You'd think. I'm doing OK getting friends and friends of friends addicted. Works because we know the local film ecosystem of stores, labs, "go-tos" for tech issues/questions that serve to keep it afloat. No delusional social media dependencies either. "Meat space" connections are real and far more durable. Most people like beer or coffee, so bars or coffee places make great venues talking/sharing. Hard to let someone check out a Mamiya RB 67 on Twitter.

Besides, I'm tired of "beg-a-thons."

7. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let's not be so discouraging, I think this sounds like a fun and worthy project. You are under no obligation to support it. I've supported several kickstarter projects, and as a result have built a nice small collection of art, so I've found it to be a mutually beneficial arrangement. Unfortunately, I don't know Mr. Orlov, and not sure how much "social" media he did prior to this venture, but I think it's clear that you have to have built up a pretty active online presence in order for your kickstarter project to be a success. I've posted this to my Facebook page, and I may again, I may even pledge a few bucks, but I hate to see film users being so, pardon the pun... negative.

8. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Let's not be so discouraging...

I hate to see film users being so, pardon the pun... negative.

Where's the negativity?

I'm doing what I can locally. It's where I live. It's where I choose to put my time and resources. Not nice? Sorry!

9. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Great Project. Reminds me of John Bentley and his bus trips to Mexico with a few thousand sheets of Agfa 8x10 trans and a jobo processor, He processed in the bus.

10. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Suzanne! I do think you bit right to the bone on this one - I have been a reclusive artist and have not integrated social media in my art life as much as I could have. At this point all I have to show is my artwork (maybe I'm wrong, but I think work speaks the truest about someone's level of commitment). So yeah, right now about 30% of pledges are coming from folks I know personally from college or otherwise. I am pleasantly surprised at how many total strangers and even those overseas are pledging and are excited to see this happen. I'll see how it goes - in either case, it's happening, but every bit does help ;-)

About this 'life change' - I feel I needed it. A lot of people work day jobs and do this on the side but after I acquired that darkroom and really started teaching and producing art again I realized it was time for a shake-up and this thing has been milling around in my head for a number of years so I went for it.

About this being a beg-a-thon - trust me my dear friend CGW, I'm fully committed to putting all of my savings into this project ABOVE the meager amount we're asking . If one sits down and calculates what it would cost to convert an empty box on wheels into a rolling functional darkroom/studio/educational space the sum would be 3-4x higher than our goal on kickstarter. I already put about 8K in and am getting ready to drop the rest of the saving in within the next month. Besides, I do believe in the power of community and humanity and that those two things can be pretty powerful.

"Hard to let someone check out a Mamiya RB 67 on Twitter" - that's exactly why we're doing it... bringing things like that to communities that might not have your bar-meet-up group. And I too very much prefer to meet in person - again, why the bus will travel with the hope of meeting communities like the one you folks have and bringing closer together (if they chose to want do so).

Also, I'm glad to see that quite a few people have written articles about this trying to help our with the funding (I'm not a trust-fund baby... I work for a living and don't have $40k in cash, sorry again for that. If I was a trust-fund baby, believe me, I'd make this thing on my own dime and do this stuff for free).
    http://www.popphoto.com/news/2011/12/kickstarter-photo-palace-bus-would-be-mobile-darkroomclassroom
    http://www.lomography.com/magazine/lifestyle/2012/01/02/the-photo-palace-bus-needs-your-help
    And so on...

Bob - I'll have to look up Mr. Bentley - Agfa 8x10 is some gooooooood stuff. I did this tryptic once from three APX100 8x10 negs and you can see every window pane in San Francisco on those 30x40s... Jobo's good too... I wonder what his water tank capacity was :smile:

Thanks,
    Anton

11. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    P.S. The vancouver John Bentley is the only one I can find.... I'll look more cause this guy does good interior work, but it sure doesn't look like bus-developed 8x10s from Mexico...

12. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Anton... I love this idea, I've just pledged a few bucks. I hope it succeeds.

13. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Bring your road trip to Toronto , give me advance warning and I will set up a workshop group for you at Gallery 44- google them. Also I will introduce you to John Bentley.
    He and I met in a logging camp on Vancouver Island in the early 70's, since then he has lived in Toronto. He makes amazing Colour Pigment Prints.
    I think what you are doing is pretty cool. If I hadn't sunk every penny I have into my own business I would try to help financially.
    These people at Gallery 44 would be a very interesting landing point for you.
    As well Bill Schwab has photostock most years and the bus would really be a nice touch.

I wish you well with this project.

14. orlovphoto

orlovphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd love to come to Vancouver! I'm there :smile:

Thanks Suzanne - you're the bestest!

15. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Well if your trying to visit me, go to the main intersection of Vancouver. point your compass east and go a few thousand miles.
    Suzzane is another 800 miles east of me.

16. jvo

jvo Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  17. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Depends on the girl friend and the job, I guess ... :smile:

18. mark

mark Member

Glad to hear he is still going, though I can understand why the kick starter attempt did not work out. I think the two photogs needed to focus more on defining their artistic vision for the trip, as well as the ultimate outcome. The bus should have been a small part of it a means to well defined outcome. The art projects that are successfully funded clearly define their vision and outcome for the project. I am probably like many other Kickstarter patrons, I go to the video first and the description second. If the video does not define the outcome I move on. The video is the pitch, the description is what is in the folder that someone reads if the pitch is good. In all honesty I did not read his description because the outcome and photographic purpose was not clearly defined. I liked the bus though.