£1.4 ($2.19) million for a production Leica

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Ian Grant, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The BBC ran a story this evening on the radio about the £1.4 million paid today at auction for a Leica M3D, the record for a production camera higher prices have been paid for prototypes. The D just signifies it was one of 4 supplied to David Douglas Duncan a Life magazine photographer who was also interviewed aged 96 .

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2012
  2. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    There really is something visceral about cameras, perhaps, which guarantees the future value for some of them (assuming tastes do not change).

In the 60s, the IBM Selectric typewriter was going for USD 1000. Who, today, would 'pay' more than USD 20? Really, to some, the camera is an extension of the body and a cherished one at that. There can be no other reason for the 'unwarranted' price. - David Lyga

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This takes fetishism, and reliquary to a new level.

4. PentaxBronica

PentaxBronica Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There's a Discworld novel where a character attempts to take over the leadership of Ankh-Morpork (a city state) by wearing the same boots, clothing, even the same ring as the Patrician. Funnily enough none of it makes him the Patrician...

5. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I must state, Ben, that 'reliquary' is a most relevant word here. For some, the new 'God'. - David Lyga

6. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think there are too many people loves Leica seriously , very very seriously. I would prefer to donate this money to Leica to open their glass research lab again or give the money to an old lens designer to write a book about how leica design a lens and glass. That would be the greatest gift about being Leica Fan. Other wise , giving it to camera dont excite me.

7. cepwin

cepwin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    While I'd love to have a Leica someday there is no way, even if I had Bill Gates $$$$ I'd pay that much for a camera....does it really take 10000x better pictures than any of the used cameras we bought for < $100 off the bay?

8. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Its like giving money to single Van Gogh painting 2 million dollars and to others , 400 dollars. Thats not make sense. Leica is good but not an Roman Glass Vase even they are cheap at the market.

9. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This particularly Leica has a provenance, as one of 4 made for a specific photography, that's important to some collectors.

It's not quite in the same league as Neil Young playing Hank Williams old guitar :smile:

Ian

10. georg16nik

georg16nik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Legendary camera example used by a legendary photographer.
    Very low cost of ownership.

11. Yashinoff

Yashinoff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Money laundering.

12. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    And, Ian, just what is 'provenance' other than an excuse to rip oneself off? There really is a type of religion out there with regard to certain things, whereby reason and rationale go by the wayside.

A while ago I bought a Canon Canonet (the LARGE one, not the small one) and I defy ANYONE to find a sharper lens (1.7/45). Alas, it lacks 'provenance' and was found in a junk box for $5. But taking it apart and cleaning it thoroughly was interesting. - David Lyga

13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    £1.4 ($2.19) million for a production Leica

My Mamiya RZ67 70mm back was used by NASA before I got it, does that mean I can sell it for $1,000,000 too? It could have been to the moon or in a space shuttle :wink: (yes I know they took Hassleblad's but obviously they stuck with the 70mm since they had one for Mamiya...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Adrian Twiss

Adrian Twiss Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah yes "Making Money" - good old Moist Von Lipwig what a hero.