1/1000 top shutter speed

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by f/16, Oct 1, 2011.

1. f/16

f/16 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today I went to a car show with the Pentax 645. Not realizing the top shutter speed is 1/1000, I didn't bring a pol or ND filter. I shot E100VS at 100 and Ilford HP5 at 400 ISO-that's about as slow as DR5 lab recommends for that film. In the blazing sunlight I had to use small apertures and get more DOF than I wanted :sad: Gotta get used to MF-with the Nikon 35mm and DSLRs I have, the top speed is 1/8000. I need to realize that the 645 doesn't do EVERYTHING like my other SLRs :smile: A polarizer probably would have been good to cut the glare from the shiny paint on the vehicles.

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A good polarizer is absolutely necessary to shoot cars outdoors, along with a tripod. You'll never miss the 1.5 stops.

3. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A standard in a MF kit is are a couple of ND filters plus the polarizer. Or at least a polarizer filter. When I go out I usually have a load of as slow a film as I can find and slap on the back when out of doors. If course my max speeed is only 1/500th so slow is good. Sadly, it seems that film companies think everyone is walking around with cameras with 1/2000 and 1/4000 spped shutters and finding slow film to day is getting difficult. Last time I went film shopping I was looking for MF but noticed for 35mm most of the stores were only offering 400 iso and a few had some 200. I'm used to shooting 10-100 range.

4. f/16

f/16 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes I'll always carry the 67mm cir pol with 58-67 step up ring and 67mm collapsible rubber lens hood. :smile: Until I get a 58mm polarizer. In my collection of filters I found a 58mm Tiffen 2 stop ND-that one will stay in the camera bag also.

5. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    HP5+ can be shot at 250 or 320 and developed in Perceptol. http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20106281054152313.pdf

And you can always do standard underexposure/underdevelopment techniques as well though probably not best to do so without experimenting a bit first.

PanF+ is nice slow speed film and good and constrasty at 50 and can be shot at 25 as well.

6. f/16

f/16 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't develop my own film yet. At this point, I am lab dependent and will send it to DR5 for positives.

7. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it my imagination or do more people shoot with wider apertures these days than in the past?

8. PaulMD

PaulMD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the trend these days is certainly toward shallower depth of field, you can see it in the progression of APS-C DSLR users migrating toward FF DSLR, of 35mm users migrating toward MF, and MF toward 4x5 and 8x10. Within those systems, people are increasingly shooting the lenses farther wide open.

9. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I seem to recall the opposite, people using as narrow an aperture as possible to make sure all was in focus. Now we want almost nothing in focus it seems :wink:

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Extremely shallow DOF is everywhere in ads both video and print. Along with HDR, it's probably the most used(and abused)PS effect. I sometimes think that's the source.

11. Edtog

Edtog Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Change happened in the early/mid 90's, I went from shooting jobs on 28-35mm @F11 to 180mm @F2.8-4.

It'll probably all come round again.

12. cjbecker

cjbecker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I only have one camera that has the capabilities of shooting 1/1000 (fe), the rest of mine shoot at 1/500 (rollei,blad)

13. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also think it may be that the use of tripods has seemingly fallen off materially from only a couple of decades ago. Seems the availability of faster film and shutter speeds has prompted this, sadly.

14. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One more on topic note: HP5+ can even be pulled to 200, 100 or 50 in Perceptol if you're in a real bind for slow film. DigitalTruth has 200 times for D-76 and DD-X, et al; 100 times for HC-110 dilution H, Rodinal 1+50; 50 in Microdol-X, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011
  15. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you want real slow, strong red or green filters (3 stops) are more useful than a CPL (1.5 stops). One good coloured filter on a 100ISO film will get you only f/2.8 1/400 in full sun and woe betide he who walks into shade...

The other thing is that Pan-F looks best at EI25 IMHO, which means f/2.8 1/125 (which is as slow as I like to shoot the RZ handheld) in full sun with a filter.

16. Cineski

Cineski Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think part of this phenomenon is to take a step above the massive amounts of point and shoots and phone cameras that have such a small sensor they almost have limitless depth of field.