1 camera for a month

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Markok765, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll be using a Nikon and a 50\28 combo for a month. I'll learn how to shoot in situations where previously I would have used a small RF.
    Anyone else doing this, and any tips for me?

2. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do this periodically, for different reasons. I think that it helps me focus more attention on "seeing" and less on gear. It also reminds me that my feet are still the best zoom. :smile: I keep it to one lens, though. That started when I noticed that 90% of my large format shots were taken with one lens (the 210mm on 4x5, or the 420mm on 8x10.) Works the same way for me in other formats, except that the smaller I go the wider the "one lens" gets( for example, by the time I get down to a 35mm camera the most often used lens is in the 35mm range.) I'm sure it means something, although I have no idea what.

Mike

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you think I should keep it to the 50mm? The 28mm is useful for indoor environmental shots, thats pretty much all I use it for. Should I not use the flash as well?

4. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been using one of my OM-1s for the past month or so and mostly with the same lens combo you are using. I find it forces me to compose better.

5. mudman

mudman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used my Nikon FM2 all summer long. In the past I've shot with 1 camera because that's all I owned. I agree 1 prime and 1 camera make you think more.

6. Bradd Cluckey

Bradd Cluckey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I haven't tripped the shutter on anything but my newly aquired Zorki 1c in about a month and a half. I agree that the single camera/lens combination forces more thought and provides a wonderful excercise for the eye. The added advantage I find is that I am more inclined to have such a tiny rangefinder with me all the time (I've only left the house twice without it) than with an SLR. A great change of pace. Perfect for a spring stroll.

Cluckey.

P.S. Markok765, I'd personally keep it to a fifty, but wides are a lot of fun in a crowd of people.

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would certainly reduce the 'What do I use today?' type quandries. I might try that with my Nikon. I haven't shot much recently. I have all this new film to burn and the 4x5 just doesn't carry well on a daily basis.

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    marko

using 1 lens is the best thing ...
    get rid of the 28, its deadweight.

john

9. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I still intend to get a Nikon FE and 28mm F2.8 AIS and use that for all my color work. That would be fun :D

I personally enjoy little dinky cameras. I don't have to think about the lens. I just put the film in and press the button (and end up with line scratches along the entire length of my kodachrome roll :D) The lenses are good and as long as you end up with a camera that has some level of exposure compensation beyond using different types of film, life is good.

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do use one camera for a while (not necessary for a month). Sometimes it's nice because you don't have to carry extra gear. BTW Marko I do like to use a wide angle alot especally outdoors, but thats just me!

Jeff

11. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    The scary thing is that for LF, I keep track of what lenses get used each time I am out, so I can see which lenses get the most use on what formats. I am currently shooting 35 mm since the wind has been blowing here lately.

12. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Make sure you really like the camera before using it exclusively for a month. A good test for me is taking it overseas on Summer vacation. So far the only camera that has survived that has been my IIIf.

13. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I usually carry the same lens combo 50 & 28mm on my Pentax K1000 or KX, Canon AE-1 or FTB, Nikon F100 bodies. This month I used the Pentax KX. I think 28mm gets used the most AFAIC.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I do this, but I've been doing it for most of my photo life, not just for a month.

I've been shooting with the same SLR for over ten years now and I've got three lenses. I've had other ancillary cameras (Holgas, Polaroid, pinhole etc) but the SLR does my 'serious' stuff, I've never owned two or more camera systems.

I'm an avid fan of Bengt Björkbom's blog and he once quoted Christer Strömholm saying "one camera, one lens, one film, one developer", Bengt came down in favour of a Leica with a 35mm and presumably Tri-x.

I've been fascinated by that statement of Strömholm's and have increasingly found the need to confront it. I've always admired those who create great photos with the minimal amount of fuss about gear, but getting there is an uphill battle for me. A battle against material and mental clutter as well as sore shoulders from lugging around too much stuff.

16. naeroscatu

naeroscatu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see where you are coming from and I fully agree. Using one camera-one lens-one film-one developer definitely forces you to discipline and be more creative. You have to understand us too... we have GAS, we are really sick:wink: we are PEOPLE too:D

17. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have those GAS urges too! Two things that have helped me keep gear under control: low finances and constantly moving house.

I'd love to try the "one camera, one lens, one film, one developer" thing in full, but I'm not brave enough to sell two of my three lenses.

18. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would sell my entire Nikon setup for a Leica M6 and 50mm F2

19. zenrhino

zenrhino Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ever since I had a split-image screen put in, I've been using my Spotmatic II and a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 almost exclusively. I carry a Mamiya/Sekor 28mm f/2.8 and a Vivitar 135mm f/2.8 but don't use them much at all.

Before that, my "one" camera was a Yashica 35 GSN. I only moved to the Spotmatic because I needed to use up some Delta 3200 and the GSN's meter wouldn't go that high. Same with my Canonet.

I've been thinking about switching to my Hassy 500c/m as my walking around camera, but damn I hate to have that much money in a bag that gets bumped around like my walking around bag does.

20. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep in mind that a television crew isn't following you around, so any time you decide that what you're doing isn't working for you, you can change it. :smile: So if you decide two weeks into the project that you really don't like that particular camera or lens, you can change it and no one will be the wiser!

My favorite 35mm lens used to be just a bit longer than normal -- the Minolta 58mm lens. Lovely, lovely lens. But I decided to carry just a 28mm around with me for a while, just to make me do something different, find new solutions to problems. That was interesting and I've taken more of a liking to wider lenses as a result of that. I don't think that it would hurt any of us to try something different on occasion.

That was the genesis of my current project -- I bought a small, inexpensive point & shoot because I wanted to have a camera which I could use unconsciously. I wanted something small enough that it could always be in my pocket, ready to go, simple enough that I didn't need to think about anything but composition (and accepting the accidents and failures resulting from having no control over the exposure other than when to press the shutter button,) and see what happens. After a couple of weeks I don't think I'm going through the entire summer (or even spring) with it, but it has given me some insights. The camera I turn to most often is an 8x10 view camera, which requires thought when using it. I sort of figured a P&S would be about as opposite as I could get.

Mike

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

wow marko

that is kind of drastic, you just bought it, didn't you ?

22. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That wouldn't be wise IMHO. Sounds to me a bit like Magic bullit chasing. I have been there (though not buying a Leica) and spend a lot of money to get the perfect camera buying and selling a lot of great gear. That didn't do anything for my photography. Though Leicas are great cameras they have their limitations too so you'll probably end up missing your Nikon and buy another one. Keep your Nikon use it for now and add a RF later be it a Leica, Cosina Voigtländer or a Zeiss.
    Kind regards

23. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is what I've pretty much done ever since I came back to film seriously with a TLR. For several years I only shot with the normal focal length (80mm on my Mamiya and 150 on my 4x5), even including a trip to the Himalayas. I'd ordered a wider lens for my trip but it didn't arrive in time, and it was probably the best thing that could have happened to my advancement. I shot the whole trip on one focal length, and largely (except for 2 rolls of slides), one film too.

When I got home my wide lens for the Mamiya was waiting for me (arrived 2 days after I left, grr), and after sticking it on I feel like I've found something pretty special. It's a 45mm so around 28mm equiv, and it just seems to suit my style so perfectly. I haven't taken it off the camera since I put it on back late december. So much do I enjoy it and feel comfortable with it I've just ordered a 90mm for my 4x5.

I know there's different learning methods for different people, but for me I wouldn't say using one focal length is a limit, it actually makes things a lot easier and more rewarding, and my photos seem to reflect this ease by largely being 'better'.

24. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Leica is good, but if you're limited on your budget, it's not a good choice. Why not choose a Nikon new FM2 or something similar instead and keep using your 50mm Nikkor lens?

25. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. it's been a long time since I had two camera systems. I have the original Fm2 with two lens, a rb67 system with lot of lens, a new m645 system, my c220, the 5x7 B&J, and now the Deardorff 8x10.

I still don't have a problem figuring out what to shoot with. Whatever feels right for the idea I have on any particular day.

On the other hand, I spent years with just the FM2 with two prime lens, and the C220 with just a 65mm lens for my mf stuff. When I felt like getting serious, I would pull out the 4x5 Speed, but that doesn't count as a 'system' does it?

Shoot with the Nikon. When you are ready for something bigger, you'll know.

tim in san jose

26. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are not happy with the the pictures you are able to take with your Nikon F5, ask yourself why they will be any better with a Leica M6 ?