10" film: what is this?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Shalom, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Shalom

Shalom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A couple years ago, I bought on ebay a partial roll of 10 inch wide film. No information what exactly it is, except for the seller's description:

Any idea what this might be? I'm finally starting to build a darkroom down the basement, and made a sort of jig for cutting down film, so I can finally start using it, but I need to know how to develop it, etc.

2. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Keystone aerial camera that takes rolls of film 7 in. wide by 25 ft. long. I'm going to guess that your film is for some sort of camera similar to mine.

Could you cut off a short piece then develop it without exposing it to light so you can check for edge markings?
    If you can spot a code or a name on the edge of the film, that would peg it down right away.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was given 2 rolls of 10" wide Kodak aerial film about 5 or 6 years ago, it's a bit thinner than sheet film so may not always lie flat in a DDS.

In the case of the Ilford film I'd process a test piec as if it was FP4, the spectral sensitiviry may be slightly different to normal Pan films.

Ian

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi

mrfoto1 ( on ebay and off his website ) used to sell the kodak variety ..
    plus x, and pan x aerial films ( 9.5" )
    http://mrfoto1.com/
    he has an info page that has ... info on the film
    developers, uses &c ...

i have a few boxes cut down of a 100' roll i bought from him
    just waiting for the perfect time to use ...

have fun!

john

5. Mark Crabtree

Mark Crabtree Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ilford used to custom cut 10" for folks with Cirkut Cameras. The aerial film was generally 9.5" and smaller, but there might be some exceptions. I just got the Ilford HP-5+ aerial film and used that (still have quite a bit), but 10" is just a bit handier for Cirkut. Also makes cutting to 8x10 easier.