105mm f/2.8 Micro Nikkor stiff focus

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Richard Wasserman, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just received a 105mm AI Micro Nikkor and it is much stiffer to focus than my other Nikon lenses and I am wondering if this is normal. The lens looks almost unused and I wouldn't be surprised if it has been sitting without being touched for a long time. I have been sitting in front of the tv focusing back and forth and my hands are tired and raw-the lens is still stiff. Is there anything else I can try or is it time for a CLA? I also could use some recommendations for Nikon techs; I am looking for the Don Goldberg or Sherry Krauter of Nikons. I live near Chicago, but would be happy to send things to whoever does the best work. Thanks as always.

Richard Wasserman

2. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It may be that if you simply use it it will loosen up.

3. narsuitus

narsuitus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some 105mm micro Nikkor lenses have a locking focusing ring. Is it possible that yours is locked? Is it possible that the knob that controls the lock was broken off while the lens was in the locked position?

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's not the aforementioned broken brake, it's lack of use and old grease.
    There's a shop in DesPlaines that used to do Nikon warantee work. I believe it's Lee's but am not sure of the name. You might check the yellow pages for camera repair.

5. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

when I bought my 55mm micro nikkor, I wanted to use it on a Forox camera which auto focuses using a bellows. I purposely chose a lens with an extremely stiff focus ring because you don't focus with the lens and you definitely don't want the lens focus to shift while you are running the camera up and down the column.
    Now I use the lens on an F for general photography and it is a major PITA to use. I am seriously considering taking it to a camera repair place to see if they can loosen it up for me.

6. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I’ve had the stiff focus problem with a few Nikkors. I tried everything, but the only solution is a good CLA. Try Pete Smith at Fotocamera Repair in Lake Worth, Florida 561-433-8434.

7. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I have a 55 Micro Nikkor I used in Biomedical photography, It is not stiff. It focuses easily and holds a focus. Perhaps it will loosen up with use, else have it cleaned and lubed.