11x14 case/bags

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jim Fitzgerald, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The 11x14 will be finished soon and I was thinking if I want to take it out into the field how am I going to get it there. I mean I need a bag or a case for it and the holders and lenses. It is about 20" x 17 1/2" x 5". Can the 11x14 shooters in the audience give me some advice? Thanks.

Jim

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was hoping to get a Strebor case, but they've stopped making camera cases, I gather. So meanwhile, on the odd occasion that I take the big camera out in the city, I put it on a luggage cart with my holders in a tote bag and lenses in another small shoulder bag and tripod on a strap over the other shoulder. My camera is about 18" square, and maybe 5" thick like yours.

At the moment I'm looking at one of the larger Calumet Waterproof cases (like Pelican). I think the second biggest one will fit, but these are quite heavy--about 30 lbs. for the case alone!

I think the Tenba Air Case for a Mac G5 tower would be perfect, but they are over $600, which is more than I want to spend on a case.

3. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    David, I was looking on e-bay today and Columbus Camera Group has what looks like a light case that is something like 24x19x11. It is listed as a hard plastic and they have it for a buy it now of $75.00. If I wasn't so cash poor right now I might just pick one up to try it.They have three of them.

Jim

4. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the tip. I think I'd want something a little bigger than 18" (presuming that's the inside dimension) on the short end to pad that side, and after shipping and the cost of replacement foam, it's not going to be much less expensive than the Calumet case, which also has wheels. This is the one I'm looking at--

http://www.calumetphoto.com/item/RM2465/

5. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    David, thanks for the link. I think that case is a better way to go. the 30lbs. is a bit much but it can be rolled. Now What am I going to do for a backpack? LOL!

Jim

6. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't begun to think about backpacking this camera. A wheeled case works in the city. I suppose away from the city, I'd probably leave the case in the car and carry the camera by the handle with my filmholders in a tote bag and the tripod on a shoulder strap the way I do now. The camera itself is only 15 lbs, and if I want to go really light, I can carry my Busch Vademecum set, instead of my larger lenses.

7. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    David, the backpack is the question. I need a good case but I like to hike with my cameras. I found a pack for the 8x20 and it is actually lighter than my 8x10 pack. The problem with the 11x14's is the width of these things. My camera is going to come in around 12 lbs. and with three holders and the tripod which has its own case it is certainly doable with the right pack or as you say with the handle. It would be nice to have a Busch set. I have to test my TRT. It has a 14", 21, 28 component set. May work. I got an additional rear component from Jim Galli that works nice. I'm going to try it on the 11x14 and see what kind of coverage I get. I'll let you know if I find something that works.

Jim

8. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You might try the board and strap system used for packing French Easels. This would at least provide a means to carry the camera and perhaps a shoulder bag could handle the film holders.

Joe

9. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Joe, that was the other thought I had. I know there have been some posts about using this type of system. I'll let you know what I find. Going to try to finish the 11x14 this weekend.

Jim

10. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hi Jim,

I use a freezer bag from Sam's club for my holders. The bag is made for transporting frozen/refrigerated items from the store to home. It is slightly padded and will hold 6 holders. It has fairly long straps, so I can slip it over my shoulder for a short carry. I use it mainly to protect the holders from dust and moisture in my car.

11. Deckled Edge

Deckled Edge Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I carry 9 11x14 holders in an ammo can to the trailhead. I pack 3 filmholders into a black, padded REI stuff sack to go along with my camera and gear. I have a simple shoulder strap system for the Crown tripod. I modified an old Janssport backpack to handle the camera itself.
    For short trips I use the baby jogger with all gear in a large Tamrack 662 case-expensive, huge, rolling and enough space for anything I choose to take along.

12. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I've gotten to be good sewing my own film holder bags so that won't be a problem. I just have to find a pack big enough. The jogger is something I'll need to get for both the 11x14 and 8x20. Maybe I should get a Twin baby jogger so I can take both!!
    Deckled, how are things in my home town? I haven't been there in years.

Jim

13. RoNinHeart

RoNinHeart Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't have a large format but I do have a torn ligament in one of my shoulders that limits how much I can carry. I've been looking at Pet Strollers, they have frames similar to Baby Strollers run less money and most of the pet baskets are easily removable. eBay has the best prices that I've found so far.

Right now I'm torn between this basket on top version, it would be nice to have a handy place to drop notes, lenses, filters etc.... http://tinyurl.com/69hrs9

and this 3 wheel jogger style with big wheels, (but not in pink)

http://tinyurl.com/5xfjru

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. mustard seed

mustard seed Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'm also almost done with my 11x14 veiw camera, I have given up on the case and I'm now making one out of wood. The enlarger is next. I do need a wide lens for the camera.

16. RoNinHeart

RoNinHeart Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I ordered this Mountainsmith Rolling Zip Top Tote once and sent it back because it was too big. It's 15” x 26” x 15”, maybe something like this would work? They also make ones without wheels and travel cubes that fit inside that may help organize other things.

http://tinyurl.com/ywnddj

You might also look at soft sided coolers. They're still somewhat padded and usually lighter weight than camera bags. There are some with wheels and backpack ones.

http://tinyurl.com/5cpenh

17. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    When you actually look at the measurements for those bags, they usually turn out to be too small for an 11x14" camera. My camera needs at least 18" square internal dimensions and Jim's needs at least 20x17.5". One APUG member was transporting his Wisner 11x14" kit in a large rolling suitcase like this one--

http://www.ebags.com/delsey/helium_...rolley/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=90792

Which is big enough, but it didn't last very long, and wouldn't be strong enough to protect the camera in checked luggage, if that were a concern.

There are better rolling suitcases of similar dimensions, but they get to be more expensive than the Calumet Watertight case that I'm looking at.

18. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    hey Jim, I posted to this thread but it got lost in the web somewhere.

Tho I have not an 11x14 (but the lust is there!) I have given it some thought. I like the idea of an old Janssport pack frame (they have that nice shelf on the bottom), then build a box out of 1/8" plywood that the camera can fit in. Strap the box onto the pack frame. In use, I'd lay the pack down and have a hinged lid that opens up like a front-loading pack.

I would make the box deep enough for the camera and padding to go in first, then a padded bag for the holders that would be placed on top of the of the camera. If the box was tall enough, lenses and etc would go on "top" of the camera (when the pack was standing up.)

Make the box easy to strap on and off the frame and the box could be moved to a baby jogger, wheeled dolly, to the car, etc.

Vaugfhn

19. Erik L

Erik L Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey Jim, I use a Mountain Equipment Inc (MEI) backpack for 11x14. It has been with me since the 80's as my suitcase/backpack for travel but I found it works perfect for my 11x14. You can carry it like a suitcase with the straps hidden away by a zippered flap or you can use it as a backpack with heavy duty straps just like a regular back country pack. It has an internal frame and carries a load well. It also has a mini backpack that zips onto the back of the main one that is perfect for at least 4 11x14 holders (maybe more, but I don't have anymore than 4) There are numerous attachment points and d rings to attach tripods or water bottles etc. I would not use it as checked baggage with my camera in it however:smile:
    regards
    Erik

20. Donsta

Donsta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look up Parker cases. I have one which I used for both my 11x14s (Phillips Compact and an Explorer). They are excellent, wheeled and suitable for checking if you want to fly. I have one which carried my 11x14 and three holders and was only 62 linear inches (compact enough to check without an excess baggage charge). I've taken an 11x14 around the world in one - they are great cases (a Ron WIsner find I believe). If someone is interested, shoot me an email - I have sold my 11x14 so I don't need the case!...

21. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Erik, it sounds like we have the same MEI pack...or almost. The detachable daypack is tight with 5 to 6 8x10 holders -- it might hold a few 11x14 holders. The pack could hold an 11x14 with a non-reversable back, since there is room for my Zone VI 8x10. Jim saw my set-up, so he should have an idea of the size. my pack is great for me, but I am 6'3" -- might be too big for Jim.

Vaughn

22. Erik L

Erik L Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey Vaugh, here are a few pics of my MEI pac with the 11x14 in it. There is no model number on mine, only an MEI logo and Made in USA tag. This thing is at least 20 years old but still going strong. My 11x14 has a reversible back and it fits nicely in it. I'm only 5'8" and it is manageable for my lazy butt:smile: I can't imagine Jim is any lazier than me!
    Erik

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2008
  23. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Erik, it looks like that pack is no good anymore and you need to send it to me so I can get rid of it for you!! I saw Vaughn's pack when we shot together at Yosemite and I think it is the same or very close. I like to hike with my outfits. You know get off of the trail if necessary. Everyone has given me some great ideas. The pet strollers are something I had not thought about. Trying to find a pack that is wide enough seems to be the problem. Something that is not to heavy and has good support. I only have three holders at this time and I can imagine I'll take maybe two lenses out with me. What Erik and Vaughn have looks to be ideal. Now to find a 20 year old pack in decent shape will not be possible but at least I know what to look for.
    If I find the right stroller then I can take the 8x20 and 11x14 out for a stroll together!! I'm only 5'6" not to lazy yet and I'm game to try this.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2008
  24. Erik L

Erik L Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ok Jim, it's yours if you trade me for a few film holders for 11x14. Can't beat that deal on a classic backpack:smile:
    Erik

25. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Erik, ok I'll send you my extra cut pieces of walnut........... they could be considered film holders!!!! Nice try , Jim! I think that size pack is what I need to find.

Jim

26. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Looks like the same pack, only mine is only half the age of yours. They made mine with a detachable daypack that attaches where your front pocket is. Also they made the daypack/pocket smaller -- so I doubt now that one could get 11x14 holders in it. Mine is also a nice middle gray -- I should meter it and a gray card and see how close they are.

My Zone VI 810 fits it with lots of room -- so I was able to use closed cell foam to pad all around the camera. I put it through baggage for a trip from here to New Mexico (3 different planes each way) and it did very well. It is nice the way it refrains from yelling "There's lots of expensive camera gear in here!" I removed the daypack and carried it with the holders/film as carry-on.

The nicely padded leather handle on the side is great for moving the pack around. My pack also has two side pockets that hide away when not needed -- long enough each for 2 1-qt water bottles. I could not tell if yours has them. For all-day hikes, I take a water bottle and my water filter in one side pocket and food in the other.

Do you actually pack it with the GG facing the way you have it in the photo? I added good padding beneath the camera -- with that padding and the padding of the shoulder straps and lower back, I feel my GG is safer the other way round. The padding I put beneath the camera (that the GG goes against) is two layers of closed cell foam (backpacking sleeping pads) with some stiff material inbetween -- sort of like 8-ply rag matboard, only made with some cheap cardboardy sort of paper. The stiff material is to keep a rock or something from putting too much uneven pressure on the GG if I set it down too hard.

I also used some open cell foam at the end so that I do not have to worry about setting the pack down hard (after 10 or so miles, and 8 or more hours of photographing, it can be difficult to gently ease the pack off my back and onto the ground!) I think I have to replace this foam as I heard more of a clunk the last few times I set the pack down.

I'll have to measure my pack...I have just assumed a 15'x15" camera (outside dimensions of an 11x14 w/ reversible back?) would not fit in mine --perhaps due to the extra padding I have on the sides.

Vaughn

A photo of my pack: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7963&d=1197389905

and open with gear...

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7964&d=1197389961

Hopefully the links work

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2008