120 and 35mm film in the UK

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Robert Kennedy, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So I'm headed to the UK and Europe (not the same thing I am oft told my British relatives) for 3 weeks. I just placed my film order, but due to space (film goes in carry-on only after all) I had to lighten the order a bit.

I want to pick up some 120 and 35mm pro film while in the London/M'Boro/Newcastle areas. Mostly some Fuji color print at around 400, some XP2 in 120 and good old TMax 100 in 120.

Can I count on just any Jessops or such to have these?

2. richard littlewood

richard littlewood Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A big Jessops will probably have the goods. Best bet though is to get a catalogue of theirs (free from any branch) that lists all branch locations and phone numbers.

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We aren't 3rd world you know, we DO have 2 manufacturers of B&W paper after all, unlike the american continent :smile:

More seriously bigger Jessops are ok, stock levels are usually quite low however, I have to order 120 from my local Jessops, normally takes a couple of day, but there are far better dealers.

Should be a Calumet up north east, London you'll have no problems loads of Pro dealers.

Ian

4. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just order from Robert White and have them ship to wherever you are. It takes them under 15 hours to get stuff to me in Italy - I suspect Newcastle should be next to immediate. Last three Jessops I did only had Tmax 135; no Tri-X, no FP4, no HP5... I laugh imagining if I had asked for 120 or - god forbid - sheet film!
    www.robertwhite.co.uk

5. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I would give Jessops a miss unless you're desperate. The big London branch at New Oxford Street will have your film but they are expensive. I've never used Robert White for film but I'm sure they'll be fine. However, just about the best regarded company for film is Mathers at http://www.mathersoflancashire.co.uk. If you give them a ring they will do their utmost to get the stuff to you as fast as possible. Get them to ship it to your relatives and it'll be there next day.

Enjoy your trip.

Mike

6. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In Newcastle there is MPS Photographic at Image House, 17 Carliol Square, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 6UQ.
    Tel:+44 (0) 191 2323558
    Fax:+44 (0) 191 2610990
    www.mps-photographic.co.uk

Best,
    Helen

7. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Shipping times are inversely proportional to distance. So local mail will take a week, national 3-4 days, Italy 15 hours, New Zealand 6 hours?

:tongue:

8. lesdix

lesdix Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Ole

The Jessops store in Newcastle stocks a decent range of film (but they did sell me some out of date IR film recently- I got my money back). Also try the Jacobs store directly opposite, similar prices but less queing. Another good reason for going to Jacobs is that they sell darkroom chemicals and paper. The Jessops store has no darkroom stuff on display anymore (that I can see).

MPS in Carliol square (as Carol suggests) is a very good professional store but I find them a little bit pricey for film.

Good Luck

Les (from Newcastle)

9. lesdix

lesdix Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry

My previous post should say'Hi Robert'

10. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You can't count on Jessops in my view and in all probability you'll get to talk to someone who isn't real sure what 120 is. Stock levels will be low, so the more you want and the more specific your need the less likely you are to get it.

By far your best chance of getting what you want lies in mail-order where you can place the order by phone (you can do it online too but that way you don't get to know about stockouts). I'd expect all these places to be better value than virtually all retailers, but their prices may not be the same.

Speedgraphic 44.(0)8453 305530 or www.speedgraphic.co.uk will post the same day if you order in time.

Discount Films Direct 44.(0)1623. 491746 or www.discountfilmsdirect.com also stock a wide range and are efficient.

Mailshots 44 (0)870 766 4151 or www.mailshots.co.uk are also good.

Don't use 7day shop- not that they're bad but they are not fast. Some people think they were so called because they're open every day, but rumour has it that its because it takes them that long to fulfil.

11. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A local Jessops "should" have those films (2 years ago for certain; nowadays, less so... :sad: ) The ProCentre in central London (http://www.procentre.co.uk/) supply the pros and will bike an order to your hotel in London if you get stuck for film and pay by plastic. Full retail prices though - so only really for an emergency.

Bob.

12. roy

roy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would go along with that.

13. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I like to use 7day shop but I dont mind hanging around for it to arrive - it's so cheap it's worth the wait. Mind you, retrophotographic now stocks the ADOX films supposedly repackaged fp4 and hp5 and using their 10 roll deal + postage, it works out cheaper than buying the real thing from 7dayshop (and much quicker).

14. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    i wouldn't bank on jessops having anything.

My brother (new to medium format) went in a few weeks ago, and asked for some 120 - they confirmed they had "both kinds of film". He bought the entire stock - one roll of hp5 and one roll of fuji colour! He's based in Newcastle (sometimes), though it may not have been the newcastle store he was at on this occasion.

He did recommend MPS though - he's pretty new to this, but he took some E6 there for dev'ing, and said they treated him nice.

In a similar experience last year my gilrfriend needed 10 rolls of 400asa 35mm - preferably Kodak. Neither of the TWO local jessops stores could provide 10 matching rolls of any film (other than their own brand 200asa).

Retro are great and do next day delivery.

Ian

15. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. richard littlewood

richard littlewood Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I know Jessops are crap these days, unless you want a compact digital camera or inkjet stuff. My nearest branch is Huddersfield, where there are 2 branches of Jessops about literally 2 mins away from each other. (2 Sainsburys with a similar distance). One of these brancher (Jessops!) has a good range of film in, in 120 and 35mm. They would have what you want or as near as dammit. Anybody remember the huge white sheet of a price list, with tiny writing they (Jessops) did? - and the range of stuff they sold.

17. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey, Jessops is the only name I know...and you guys are lucky to have them! Trust me....Many places here have Ritz Camera *shudder*.

I think I'll make my pick up in Newcastle. Seems easier and I will be in the "'toon" for a couple of days before heading out to the continent.

18. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh, I forgot, Calumet will defintely have film, but not an on-site lab. Plus they have stores everywhere in the UK.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/

I've never been to a Jessops, but if it's like a Ritz Camera or Black's in Canada, I'd forget about them. Those stores are geared to the general consumer and not hobbiest or professionals.

The labs and stores I listed will definitely have your films and develop it (professionally in the case of the labs) as well.

Art.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2005
  19. 127

127 Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    You'll have a blast - I now live 7 hours drive from "home" (Newcastle that is), so I rarely make it there, but I can shoot roll after roll whenever I vists.

In the town centre the bridges are the obvious choice. The new millenium bridge is a bit of a harlot, and will give up great shots dead easy (even I got a good one!).

"The" bridge (technically the King George V Bridge but simply refered to as "The Tyne Bridge", despite there been 7 or 8 bridges within a mile or so) is a beast. You won't find a Geordie south of the tyne who doesn't get a lump in his throat thinking of the view down the river to see that bridge. It's huge, it's beautifull, it's fantastic, and it's a bitch to photograph

You can get some good views from the Baltic Centre (by the Millenium Bridge) - great building too, but sucky art. Worth a visit for the building, and make sure you check out the viewer platforms on the top floors.

Does anyone like the Sage centre (the Giant Slug on the South bank)? What an ugly building - but it's in Gateshead so what do you expect - they're practically Maccam's down there... ;-)

Get out to the river mouth/coast too - North Shields, Tynemouth, Cullercoats and Whitley Bay. Great Coastline - lovely beaches, cliffs, bays and such.

I really miss the place (in case you hadn't noticed!). I'll be home a couple of times this summer though - even though it hasn't really been home in 20 years.

Ian

20. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eureka! I just remembered the place in Paris I had my E-6 developed. They develop all sorts of stuff there. Very professional. I think they sell film there too. It was about 4 years ago when I was there last. http://www.picto.fr/

I don't know any places in Amsterdam.

Art.

21. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm

22. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    2?

While your In Jessops you could get a mortgage and Buy a roll of Superia. Saying that they have a reasonable deal when you buy 5 rolls, It only costs £10 in some speeds.

23. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At least: Ilford and Kentmere

24. P C Headland

P C Headland Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FotoNivo on Haarlemerdijkstraat (not far from Central Station), or Kleurgamma (two shops). Kleurgamma do same day if you drop it in in the morning. Both have a good selection of 35mm and 120.

There are quite a few others too, but these are the two I use most.

Also, Retrophotographic in the UK are really good to deal with, excellent service and pretty quick delivery over to NL.

Paul

25. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nobody mentioned Silverprint, anytime I'm in London I have to go to Silverprint just even to stand in a shop like it. Perfect place to melt your credit card :D