120 Astia/Velvia?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Anscojohn, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My bride and I are making a trip to Norway in August and I will be shooting FOMApan 100 (mostly). I got to thinking it might behoove me to take along a coupla rolls of some of this here new-fangled film what makes a COLOR!! image!:tongue:
    Freestyle offers Fuji Astia and Velvia in ISO 100 120. I expect it shall be used for scenery. Which one should I take?

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would recommend astia and provia 400x. You might try some velvia 100 as well, but I think you will prefer astia, especially if your bride will be in the photo.

You might assume that because there will be sunlight 'til well past 10pm that you should take slowish films. Well actually some of the most magical light is right around 10-11 and there won't be that much of it- think of a very long sunset. Hence my recommendation for 400x.

3. kompressor

kompressor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Go for ASTIA. The best slidefilm ever.

Most og the pictures here are on Astia: http://www.tmax100.com/a.html

I have a Studio and lab in Norway, so if u pass by Molde, drop the films and you will have them developed in an hour. I also do drumscans.

4. zenza

zenza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've shot both and personally I did not like velvia 50 or 100. The film gives off a red colour cast that I'm not too fond of. Astia on the other hand...rules.

5. alan doyle

alan doyle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the kodachrome king is dead long live the new astia king.

6. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Many thanks. ASTIA it shall be. We'll be visiting friends in the Vesteralen.

7. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would recommend some color print film instead. Try some Kodak Extar and Fuji 400H and Pro 160S, unless you have a compelling reason to shoot slides. But Astia is my favorite all around slide film, but getting prints requires a digital solution (or finding Ilfochrome materials or printer).

8. pcooklin

pcooklin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Astia is better for skin tones, velvia for land/sky/seascapes. Enjoy!

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My favourite general purpose Fuji 120 slide film is Provia 100 F.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2009
  10. nsouto

nsouto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Astia, definitely. Best medium speed slide film nowadays, particularly if you can get new emulsion.
    Provia 400X if you want/need higher speed. Both of these scan beautyful, if that is your inclination.

11. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Have a fantastic vacation and good luck to you and your bride.

Don't think that Astia will disappoint you....obviously it would be worth running a couple of trial rolls before you go, just to check the best speed rating for your particular quipment and techniques. (I have no prob with the box speed generally, although just sometimes a tad less exposure will give a little extra depth to colors, just as it did with Kodachrome. Other than that, I find it really is super-accurate with soft colors, fabrics, and skin textures but still very accptable for landscape work if you don't want the saturation of Velvia.)

12. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The new monach is not the same as the old, but IMHO I think he'll prove the right choice when we've finished mourning the old King's passing. :smile:

13. Pupfish

Pupfish Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    To my tastes, Astia is the best all-around transparency film by far, but I do also find that Velvia is sometimes the better choice. Both are essentially grain-free, though they are rather different emulsions.

If you happen to have a lens or scene that is especially contrasty, Astia may be required. As already mentioned Astia also has a more accurate response with reds and skin tones. It also pushes to ISO 200 with almost no penalty.

In lower contrast situations (say three stops of dynamic range) Velvia adds snap and saturation. It also gives the appearance of greater sharpness due to an enhanced local contrast/ adjacency effect-- much like Kodachrome.