120 C-41 process/printing??

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by GRHazelton, Mar 13, 2011.

1. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any suggestions for mail-order processing/printing vendors for 120?

I can get reasonable local service for 35mm, but turn-around for 120 is 2 or 3 weeks! I'm set up to do my own BW in both formats, but I really don't particularily want to get into C-41 printing, although having done Ektachrome I would not be fearful of processing C-41 negatives.

2. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    E-Six in Atlanta is good, I've used them before, but I think turn around time may be similar plus you'll be stuck with shipping cost and time. If you have multiple rolls, you might consider UPS Ground as your return service, from Atlanta, I would assume most parts of GA are one to two day service.

3. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    C-41 is really easy - and cheap - to do if you're already set up for B&W developing.

4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Samy's Santa Barbara (http://www.samys805.com/film-processing/) has good prices and very high quality dip-n-dunk processing if you cannot find anything good locally.

They charge $5 for 35mm, $5.25 for 120, and $7.95 for 220.

Additionally, they currently have a special mail order rate for E-6 film. It is $5 per roll for 135, 120, or 220. $5 for 220 is an especially great bargain.

5. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many thanks, folks. Samy's sounds like a good deal; its always nice to hear from users.

If I process C-41 myself I'd probably want to accumulate several rolls since I imagine the chemicals have a somewhat limited shelf life after having been mixed - I know the various E-x processes, at least from The Great Yellow Father, are only good for a week or two.

I remember projecting 4 x 4 "Superslides" that I'd processed - that might have been E-2, you had to re-expose the film with a photo flood lamp! What a splash they made following 35mm. Wish there were some affordable 6 x 6 projectors.

Any thoughts on other C-41 processes? Are Arista or Unicolor good choices?

6. Tony-S

Tony-S Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a look at this thread on the Tetenal's longevity. I have the Unicolor kit and it seems to be rebranded Tentenal.

7. willrea

willrea Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was planning on using them for E-6, but the site comes up "Account Not Available"

8. patois

patois Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  9. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do C41 myself using kodak chemistry. I save up about 48 rolls before running a 5L batch. Mixed chems will last probably a month at least, if in air-purged bottles (e.g. argon/etc.). Cost per roll (any format) is well under $1/roll. It's as easy as B&W to process.

10. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use the JOBO/Tetenal/Unicolor 1L kits. They work great. I've done 24 rolls over a 4 month period in a single 1L kit, just putting the 3 bottles in a root cellar, not even refrigerated so it lasts longer than you think. Works great, less than $1/roll, done in 20 minutes or so (1:00 pre-soak, 3:30 dev, 6:30 blix, wash, 1:00 stabilizer).

Only difference to B&W is the 39C temperature and some report being able to run it at room temperature for longer but I haven't tried it since I'm getting good results just using hot tap water to warm it up and keep it warm in a bucket.

11. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I got this email reply from Samy's Santa Barbara just now:

---------------------------------------------------------

Hello Bill,

We do still process E6 as well as C41 and black and white film. I am attaching the appropriate forms to include with your order.

Thanks,

Samy's Camera
    614 Chapala Street
    Santa Barbara, Ca. 93101
    805 963 7269

---------------------------------------------------------

12. willrea

willrea Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that Bill. Do you mind forwarding the forms to me? Thanks.

13. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    email sent

14. agfarapid

agfarapid Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try Coopers Imaging coopersimaging.com in Norwalk CT. They process c-41 in 120 and 35mm, deliver cd's with hi-res scans and/or prints. I've used them--no complaints.

15. jm94

jm94 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i used the nova press kit for 35mm, using bottles which had the air squeezed out. it works fine at ambient temperature if you extend the times, although the blix is a pain to wash out! the 16 films yield was an understatment, i have my first lot still, dont use it for anything crucial now. used over 30 rolls, (keep a tally) and the results are still great, although the developer is like a sludgey colour and the colours are a little bit "dull". i keep it as an experiment, to see how long it lasts! the blix part also needs around 10 minutes to complete now. if you want value for money and want to process at home, go with this one, although the longetivity of the negatives are another matter, but mine are fine 3 months down the line :smile: i found someones article on the web ages ago about how long the chemicals lasted, although storing them in the air killed them according to him. its cheaper to do it at home if your already set up, or ask a lab (as most minilabs can do 120), for dev. only if you just want negatives