120 Enlarger Purchase Question

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by gedra, Apr 27, 2009.

1. gedra

gedra Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am looking for an enlarger to print 120 and 35 and am considering the Beseler 23CIII and Omera/Saunders LPL 670 each with the variable contrast head. Does anyone have thoughts on the relative durability and customer support from these manufacturers? Thanks very much.

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    We use 23C's in our school's darkroom. They've held up very well to students use. Can't speak from experience about the Saunders.

3. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Beseler 23CIII. I haven't needed customer support (the manual is actually enough for what I've needed). It's sturdy and durable, I'd say. Several 23CII were in use at a museum school darkroom I used and they survived pretty well. They definitely got abused. For personal use, I think you'd have to be very rough to mess it up - regular use isn't going to hurt it. Mine has been moved from one darkroom to another (different state) and it's fine.

4. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Beseler is a very rigid, rugged machine with no vices I can fathom.

5. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Beseler at home, but I have also used 4X5 version of the LPL. Both are excellent. The LPL may be a bit easier to use, but it is also more expensive. The Beseler may be a shade brighter.

6. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Beseler 23C II that I have is the most durable enlarger that I have used. Being without a permanent address such as mine it is a dependable part of my lifestyle. Not a lot of people I know (including me) have a residences for loner than say 3 yrs . Seems like the enlarger goes farther than me. So for me I prefer something like the Beseler to remain consistent in operation. Seems like a "tank" as enlargers go. But that is my style maybe not yours.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Beseler 23s are great and cheap, and they can print up to 6x9 if you go that route some day.

8. gedra

gedra Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for the valuable responses.

9. aoresteen

aoresteen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format