120 film Question

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by pinhole_dreamer, Nov 20, 2011.

1. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've found 100 ft. rolls of 35mm. Where can I get my hands on 120 film in bulk?

Thanks.

2. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Depends where you are in the world. Any local shops may offer you a discount on a multiple order. Or shop around mail order, many suppliers offer reduced prices for 10 or 100 films.....the internet is your friend in this case.

3. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ou can buy 120 films in bulk, in ten or 20 roll packs, or perhaps larger packs, but most 120 comes in singles or 5 packs, so your best option is to look for singles in multiples and 5 packs in multiples .
    Richard

4. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    120 is not sold in 100 foot rolls, because it needs its paper backing. They used to sell 70mm long rolls and some medium format cameras, like Hasselblad and Mamiya RB-67, could be fitted with special long-roll 70mm backs to take it. High volume portrait studios often used it. I don't think the film is made anymore, because the 70mm Hasselblad backs in EX condition often go for less than $50 while 120 backs cost 3 times that.

5. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's no such thing. You may as well try to find the mythical holy grail, or Unicorn. With 120, you have to stop thinking in 35mm terms. It's a completely different animal.

If your goal is to save money on the film you use, 120 is not the format for that.

Have you even checked to see if the films you use in 35 is even available in MF? Not very many are, and more films are being dropped every day (Plus-X as a recent example).

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sure it is, if you are coming from 4x5 or larger :smile:

8. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed, the "roll" of 5x7 I just bought was 100 USD. 120 is cheap in comparison.

9. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So stop complaining about the cost, and drop WAAYY down to 35mm as the original poster is currently shooting, and save a bundle. But don't complain about the drop in quality.

As I also stated in that post "you get what you pay for."

10. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have cut and slit bulk 70mm narrower so as to allow reloading of previously used 120 spools and backing paper.

It can save you cash if the 70mm roll is the right price, but it is also a big PIA.

It is no longer worth it to me , having tried this route re-loading 20 rolls.

I now use the bulk 70mm in a modified polariod J66 to shoot C-41 Portra negs that end up 70mm wide x 4" long per exposure.
    Modifying a Paterson reel to load a 5' long piece of 70mm is the PIA of this approach though.

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have no idea how knowledgeable the OP is about 120 film. Not very I assume otherwise he/she would have known that 120 in bulk isn't available. However if he/she is contemplating 120 and MF photography I'd hate to put him/her off by painting an overly bleak picture about the availability of 120 film.

In B&W Ilford duplicate all their 35mm films in 120 and to a lesser extent so do Kodak. In colour neg there is still a good range of 120 as well.

pentaxuser