120 Fuji Neopan Acros 100

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by surlysteve, May 18, 2012.

1. surlysteve

surlysteve Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm starting to wonder if it is the end of the line for this great film. Everyone is out of stock and has been for a while. Freestyle had a shipment coming in today that's been pushed till the end of June. B&H and Adorama say they don't know when to expect more. I have found it on a few UK sites and that is giving me hope. Though a few said low stock qty.

What are peoples thought on this? I assume it was a profitable film for fuji based on my expierence with it and reviews form around the web.

Has another well liked 120 film gone the way of the dodo?

2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's a good question: when I was on the phone with Freestyle, they sounded optimistic it will be around for a while, although the demise of Neopan 400 in 120 was a huge loss for me (thank god for ebay). I think Fuji might be doing smaller runs, maybe one a year on this stuff, so maybe we just have to be patient.

3. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Got 25 rolls of 35mm and 25rolls of 120 from B&H two weeks ago, ordered when the message about Fuji price increase came, glad I've secured a whole heap of Fuji, they seem very sketchy (but I love their films, so what can I do? :smile:

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How much do you think this has to do with Fuji announcing a price increase?

Users probably hoard it in order to avoid paying more for their favorite, hence the short supply.

5. Araakii

Araakii Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Plenty of stock at where I live and get my film from. But it's already their only b&w film in the line up. So unless they plan to pull out of 120 film completely.

6. swittmann

swittmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My thought exactly.

7. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is what scares me so much about Acros. It's my favorite film bar none. I just don't like any other film nearly as much as I like Acros, so I use tons of it. But, when Fuji stops production (which I'm sure they will) I'll be up the creek.

I've moved to Ilford for all other films (Tri-X to HP5, TMax 3200 to Delta 3200), but Acros stands alone. I don't like Delta as much.

8. swittmann

swittmann Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    >But, when Fuji stops production (which I'm sure they will)
    Oh no, what a nightmare this would be! I hope this will not happen... Acros is a wonderful film. I have around 25 rolls (120) left in my fridge and will re-order soon.

(My personal disaster would be the loss of TriX - it would hurt like the loss of Polywarmton - but I'd surely miss Acros as well. These are my two main films.)

9. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unique Photo lists Acros 100 in 120 format as "in stock" so I may have to get some from them...

10. iulian

iulian Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Over here the only shop selling serious film in the country has it in stock. Also my favorite film, but that may change when I start doing IR in the summer :wink:

11. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Guilty as charged, 200 rolls a month ago....:whistling:

12. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aha! It's your fault. Thanks for 'fessing up. :D

13. HollyGettings

HollyGettings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I admit, I have been hoarding it. I order it regularly in good quantities and store it in a cool dry location. It is absolutely the best film I have ever used and it will break my heart when I can't get it any more. Let's all order it regularly in good quantities and see if we can stave off the inevitable. Sorry to think this way.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hate to read this topic because Acros is my top favorite film in 100ASA, i don't like Delta filsm as well, and TMAX 100 is very nice film but i prefer TMAX400 over it, but Acros is my most used film in 100 iso, so if this film will be gone, my interest will go lower on B&W film.

Good i bought enough Acros last years, kept them cool for present/future use, i will buy more whenever i have budget again.

16. surlysteve

surlysteve Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm hoping that's why it's out of stock. Not an end of production situation. I'll be crushed if they discontinue this film.

Fuji is not well known for their communication with consumers so we'll have to wait and see what transpires. Let's hope the price increase is palatable.

Shout out to rthomas for the unique photo suggestion. I have never heard of them and I live right across the Hudson River :redface:

17. Helinophoto

Helinophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey, I resent that, I surely never did that at all I.....

.....no wait, I did! :tongue:

Why are you so smart all the time? :sad:

18. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. surlysteve

surlysteve Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  20. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just received an email from B&H that the 120 Acros 100 5-pack is back in stock.

The price is the same as before, USD 15.95.

Woohoo!

They also seem to have 35mm rolls for 4.75. Not sure if that's the same price...

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2012
  21. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I pushed the button on 75 rolls (plus Reala and 4x5 Astia) when I got the email this morning. $400 to Fuji today :sad:

I just wish that Acros wasn't The Most Expensive B&W Sheet Film Ever or I'd load up on that too.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2012
  23. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And what's up with that anyway? It's cheaper than almost any other film in 120. The only thing I know of less expensive is Freestyle Arista branded Foma. Yet Acros is one of the most expensive sheet films. It's $2 a sheet from Freestyle, granted usually expensive for film, but it's very nearly as much from B&H ($35.50/20 sheets - almost as much as Velvia at $42.95.) The only black and white sheet film I can even find that costs more than Acros is IR, and that not by much.

24. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah, it's odd and frustrating. I suspect that small batch sizes (different base thickness) might be to blame - for some reason they have an efficiency with the 120 film that doesn't translate to the same emulsions in LF. You have no idea how much I want to buy Reala in 4x5.

IR820 is under $1/sheet therefore far cheaper than Acros. Even FP4 is still $1/sheet; if Acros could match that then I'd buy up on it instead of Fomapan but at $1.77 they're not selling me any.

And hey, if there are any manufacturers reading this thread, quit it with the bullshit 10-20 sheet packs, or at least make 100's an OPTION for the market and give a decent discount. I don't want to pay for cardboard, I want to pay for film!

And wtf is with all C41 in LF costing stupid money now? I can buy and develop Velvia or Astia for less than I can buy Ektar or god forbid, Portra.

25. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tell me about it, I am trying to create a budget for 1,000 sheets of a solid performing 100 speed 4x5 film for this year and as much as people rave about Acros in that format, $1.77 a sheet is a good bit more than TMX at $1.60 and way more than Delta 100 at $1.04....

Decisions, decisions...

26. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IR820 is not as bad but the Aura version is over $4 a sheet. That was my comparison for saying the only B&W film I could find that cost more was infrared:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/748426-REG/Efke_191840_AURA_IR820_4_x.html

For that matter even the non-Aura is over $2 a sheet at B&H. I didn't shop the whole 'net for the best price around:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/579336-REG/Efke_191845_4_x_5_IR820.html

As for what's up with LF C-41, in one word, Kodak. If we could get Fuji C41 in sheets in the US it would probably be more in line with E6. Kodak prices have gone up to silly levels with the bankruptcy, like the kid trying to charge $500 for a glass of lemonade who knows he won't get many customers but figures he only needs one. I've been of the shrug it off mentality for most film price increases in 35mm and 120 especially because I have little enough time to shoot and work in the darkroom that expense isn't a big concern at this point - I just don't have time to challenge my budget that much even at today's prices. I'll still buy 35mm and 120 Tri-X. Heck, I buy 120 Delta 3200 and that isn't cheap either. But in 4x5 they've gotten so silly I'm about to dismiss my love affair with TMY-2 and just go to HP5+. I got into LF after TMX/TMY came out and sad to say never shot TXP. I'd like to get a box to try while I can, but I'm kind of afraid I'd like it. :sad: