120 mm f:1.6 Meniscus lens on a 5x7 Deardorff

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Reinhold, Apr 21, 2017 at 7:23 AM.

1. Reinhold

Reinhold Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mounting my large, newly minted soft-focus 120mm f:1.6 Wollaston on my Deardorff’s small 96x99mm Technika size lens board had me scratching my head until I made an adapter for the larger lens flange.

Here are a some of examples of a short meniscus lens used as a close-up lens, as well as it’s performance as a “pseudo wide angle” landscape lens.

The “Sprinkling Permit” sign was about 12” in front of the lens, shot it at f:3.2 (almost wide open). At these close distances, I noticed that the “soft-vs-sharp” aperture differences are not as pronounced, as compared to more distant views.

The near corner of the “Backyard Shop” was about 15’ away, the angle of view was easily 130°. It was a typical overcast, Pacific Northwst day. I’m really pleased with the soft glow of the f:2.2 photo, I included the f:8 photo to show the progression toward a “sharper” image.

These were from paper negatives, shot thru a yellow-green filter at ISO 3, on vari-grade paper, no pre-flash, developed about 8-10 minutes in 1+20 Dektol.

Reinhold
    www.re-inventedPhotoEquip.com

Sprinkle 1... 020.jpg

shop@ f2.2.jpg

shop@ f8.jpg

120:1.6 Deardorff.JPG

2. michr

michr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm glad to see you're still making lenses. This fast lens might be just the thing to make Xray film usable on a cloudy day.