120 negative storage

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Curt, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I need to find a better way to store my 120 negatives other than putting them in acid free paper folded in half then storing them in plastic boxes.

It's hard to see them but they don't get scratched by sliding them into sleeves.

Does any one have a good storage solution?

Curt

I also need a source for 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 individual sleeves; poly type archival, like I'm going to be around in a hundred years to check!

2. Rick Olson

Rick Olson Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Try Light Impressions. I get the Mylar fold-lock sleeves for my 120 film.

3. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I store mine in print file pages for the cut negs and in sleeving for the uncut strips.

Dave

4. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure why you think you could sratch them by sliding them into sleeves.

5. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rick and Dave, Kevin I guess the last time I used plastic pages they were a thick hard plastic. Now days I don't have the patients to slide them into sleeves. I am going to check Light Impressions again. I do like a folder and a fold-lock might be just the ticket.

Curt

6. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Print File makes negative sleeves for 120, they are not hard plastic.

Then file in an archival 3 ring binder.

No bending.

7. TimVermont

TimVermont Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a $5 radius punch from Uchida to round the corners of my negs, zero problems now sliding them into pages or worries about the corner of one neg scratching another neg.

8. KenM

KenM Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I dislike the Printfile plastic storage materials - my negs always seem to stick in them, and I'm uncomfortable with pulling on the negs until they unstick. And yes, before you ask, the negs are dry before they go in :D

I now use glassine envelopes for my 4x5 negs, and glassine sleeves for my 645 negs. Sure, you can't contact print the negs through them, and it's difficult to see the negs without removing them from the sleeves, but overall I find them easier to work with.

9. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also use Print File pages. I store them in archival plastic storage boxes. Light Impressions sells the boxes but I bought mine at a much lower price from B&H years ago.

10. Mike-D

Mike-D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Baseball card holders work fine for 6x9! "Archival, polypropylene, acid free" what more could you want? They are a little thick, but no problems so far.

Mike D

11. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If your negs get crud on them or the pages get crud on them, you can scratch them by sliding them in or pulling them out of the pages. Especially if you really do it ham-handed. The mylar fold-lock sleeves for individual strips works well, especially combined with a printfile ultra 120 page which will hold a sleeved negative.

I store all my pages with a hanging file bar inside of a rubbermaid document holder (a la Office Max). This system works the best for me..

I also store my 4x5 negatives in the printfile 4x5 pages (the one that is designed to hold sleeved 4x5 prints or polaroid 4x5 negatives).. The fold-lock mylar sleeves for 4x5 film are invaluable. Just my opinion..

KenM, i've had many 35mm negatives stick inside pages.. I think in my case it was due to moisture. Since then i've been keeping packets of silica gel inside of my rubbermaid document tub where all my negatives reside. It seems to work for me.