120 paper backing

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by F/1.4, May 26, 2012.

1. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I know this is a bit of a n00b question, but in preparation for a shoot, i've always taken all my 120 rolls out of the box and into my bag, but never out of the foil wrapping until I load it into my inserts on location. How safe would it be to unwrap them for long periods of time? As in unwrap them all the day before a wedding during prep so I have less trash to deal with during the day? It's like at the end of a wedding my pockets are full of foil wrappings and i'm always looking for a trashcan to dump them.

2. Dshambli

Dshambli Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't think I can recall a problem with having done that. But I also like to save the wrapper many times to put the film back into, just as an extra measure to protect my shots.

3. nanntonaku

nanntonaku Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    should be alright.

film's tough and they're normally wound real tight.

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ideally, the film should say in the foil, but you already understand that. I certainly understand and have experienced the problem.
    That said, it will be fine. You may want to unwrap one or two rolls less than what you would expect to use, so that any leftovers can stay sealed.

If any of it will be going back into refrigeration, I would put the rolls into a zip lock or similar. Also, if you're cooling your stock, you should not unseal them until they're warm.

5. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep it in the foil because it's 100 percent light-proof and humidity-proof.

6. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can also buy plastic film keepers from Freestyle (and others) that hold 120 rolls nicely. They consist of two tubes with thread together, essentially a double wall. I use them and label them with film type, when I go out shooting. I just grab the film I want, then put it back in after winding. I still keep it in the foil before use, but if I knew I would be in a hurry, I'd feel better than having them bounce around in my bag naked.

Here is one - for $2 they are hard to beat, if you like using them. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/8203813-Maco-120-Roll-Film-Container?cat_id=804

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I doubt that the metallised foil is lightproof.

EDIT: I have just checked. It isn't!

Steve.

8. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve... well that smashes my 30+ year old false-belief. :smile: At least the foil is humidity and oxygen proof... and protects "somewhat" from light. I'll not be removing mine from the foil until I'm ready to load it.

9. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can make light proof tubes yourself by cutting the ends off 2 35mm canisters and attaching them together. Measure with an empty spool the correct length and give it a bit more space to move a bit inside and for the cap. Black canisters are best for this. You can attach them with a few wraps of aluminum tape.

Much cheaper than commercial tubes and you get film out quicker without unscrewing.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But whats the fun in that? :D I make mine in two styles, one opening or with double openings at both ends for even faster access.
    120.JPG

12. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But if you do buy Adox film be aware that it is not so tightly wound onto the spool as 'mainstream' films are and if you keep it out of the cannister for any time you are likely to get light leakage.

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My Adox film was wound very tightly. In fact too tightly. I let go of a roll whilst loading it and it un-coiled itself!

Steve.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Adox uses a different base material than most films- polyester, maybe? They say on their web site that the material is more susceptible to light-piping than other base materials. I can't say if this is because there is something about the edge of the film, or because the material is prone to relax in the roll and come unspooled a bit, or some combination. Wherever it comes from, they aren't kidding! I keep it in a can as much as possible, and load/unload in as dark an area as I can find in the field.

16. F/1.4

F/1.4 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good info! I figure if i'd be using casings like that, than just leave the rolls in the foil....I've got some portra I want to burn through and i'll unwrap them today and see what happens when I shoot them later this week.

17. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I end up using the Adox cases for all of my 120 film. I leave it in the foil and then place it in the case. If I pick up a case, rattle it, and there is no noise or motion, then it is unexposed. If it rattles, then it is exposed.

I'll mention another prep I heard about, on here I think. Unwrap the film, and then take an empty spool. Take the tongue of the new film and place it in the slot of the empty spool. Roll it up a couple of times on the empty spool. Rubber band them together. Now in the field you load the 'empty' spool in the camera, pull the loaded spool across/around, and load it up. Saves the search for the slot in the field.

Not doing weddings or fast-moving shoots, i haven't had the need to try this. And you end up with a pocket of empty reels as the day goes on.

18. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The foil wrap protects against any dust, lint, etc. which might be in your bag, from being picked up on the film roll and transferred to the insert or rest of the camera, thence onto subsequent film. A small nylon pouch with drawstring or fanny pack (American meaning:wink:) could receive the used wrappers. Or attaching a pocket with a closure or elastic across its top to the outside of your bag could work for that purpose.

19. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you use plastic sleeves...

At the end of the day your pockets will be full of plastic sleeves,
    which take up much more space than squished wrapping,
    and probably can't be thrown away because you paid for them.

Get bigger pockets. Have extras sewn inside your suit jacket.

- Leigh

20. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see a problem, real or imagined, with your plan. The only caution is that if the film has been stored in a freezer, even the fridge, it should be kept in your pocket, wrapper intact, until it has reached ambient temperature to prevent humidity "spotting".
    It can be a challenge to juggle exposed and unexposed rolls in-situ. My plan is to have unexposed rolls in my left pocket and exposed rolls in my right pocket. A tiny Swiss army pocket knife is used to slice open the wrappers quickly — they are a silly thing to fumble with, but necessary of course.

21. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to carry 2-3 empty 135 film canisters when I shot 120. I popped the top off and squash several 120 wrappers into each one until full. I never needed more than three.

22. emayoh

emayoh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    my best film score ever was running into an assistant to some big pro in LA who demanded all his film unwrapped on set but then ended up using half of it. I got the unwrapped rolls (portra & tri-x) for a buck a roll. he kept the unwrapped rolls in a large lightproof bag. I never had any issue using them just pulled out of the big bag.

23. KenR

KenR Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Other meaning of "fanny pack"?

24. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, it's the "fanny" part which has another meaning in the UK. 30 or so years ago I used the term "fanny pack" around a young Englishwoman (what I said was, "You want a fanny pack?") and she looked at me with a startled expression and blushed a bit. Her boyfriend later told me why.

25. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Female only... and to the front!

Steve.

26. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LOL!!! Ya gotta love the Brits. :D