120 Processing at Walmart in Canada?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Stew, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Stew

Stew Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does Walmart in Canada offer 120 C-41 film processing like they do in the States?

Thanks in advance!

2. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The one I went to here in Vancouver doesn't. And I had to explain WHAT 120 film was.

3. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck with that!
    I have found that some, and only some real photo shops that do processing will do 120. Most send it out.
    I will eventually do my own C41, I don't think they'll be much choice.
    Jeff

4. photomem

photomem Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wasn't aware that Wal-Mart does 120 processing. The little woman uses a 120 Kodak to play around with and then just waits for me to send a batch of film to Dwayne's so she can get it processed. Maybe you might consider sending it across the border.. I mean Kansas isn't that far from Canada (Geographically or Culturally).. right?

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't tried - I just use my local photo store, which has a decent lab. I think 120 film gets sent to Winnipeg, but they cover the cost of that, at least.

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have mine done at the local camera shop. They do it in-house, but I found out that only the manager is allowed to load 120 into the machine. So even there, the regular operators don't know how to handle it.

YMMV, but I wouldn't trust a Walmart with it, but then I wouldn't trust Walmart if they told me the sky is blue, either.

7. JohnRichard

JohnRichard Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Fujifilm Minilab - FL 922 AL : Common at most Wal-Marts here in Kentucky.
    Film formats 110, 126, 135, IX 240

That IX240 is APS for those that don't know. According to Fujifilm, these minilabs are not set up to do 70mm wide film. Or 60mm...
    Also, the Wal-Mart that I sometime use, sends the 120 stuff out to Fujifilm in Tennessee. If you send out E-6 chromes, Fujifilm
    in Tennessee (according to the lady I spoke to there) sends to directly to Dewaynes. Since Wal-Mart is contract with Fujifilm
    for use of their minilabs, it is unlikely they will process 120 in house.

Hope that helps.

8. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why would anyone go through the trouble, and obvious care, of shooting 120 film and then take it to a place like Wal-Mart?

Can someone explain that to me? (I'm asking rhetorically, please don't attempt to do that)

9. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Because it only costs $1.50 for developing and proof prints. And I've never had any problems with their processing. And I don't think 120 is some special hallowed format, either. Holgas are 120....

10. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The lab I managed used Noritsu machines and we regularly processed 120 for those customers that wanted it done. Once I managed to find a neg gate for 120 printing, offered that as well, although most only wanted their film processed and then they printed their own prints or asked me to send off for 8x10" enlargements of the negs they selected.

If you find a good lab that takes pride in what they produce, and how they maintain their machinery, you'll get excellent results once you've established a rapport with them. :smile: