120 Reel Question

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jeff L, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, I hoping someone might recognize, or has experience with two of my reels.
    I have included three photos of three different types of steel 120 reel that I have.
    The one marked H/N 1 is my preferred reel, it a Honeywell Nikor with a hinged film clamp. Works great, easy to load and the film never disengages.
    -H/N 2 is also a Honeywell Nikor with a different style of film attachment. I can't figure out how it works or how to secure the film. I tried loading it (blind faith) but it just doesn't hold the film - at least in anyway that is obvious to me.
    - The photo marked German is Made in Germany and has a spike of some sort. Here again I can't seem too get it to secure the film. I've tried piercing the film with the spike - easier said than done. I gave up one this reel.

Any thoughts or instructions?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those are all great reels which I also have. The one with the spike I think is maybe a Kindermann from Germany. I insert the film in the space behind to the spade then bend the film and pull, so the spade pierces the film, then proceed to wind on the reels. The two Nikors clamp the film so you can then wind on the reels. Practice with your practice roll until you get the hang of it. Or, send the ones you don't like to me, I will be forever grateful.
    :smile:

3. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Fotch. My guess was not far off. I have been using the Nikor with the hinged clamp for many years, it's a great reel. I look for them at whatever camera show/flea market that comes up. I have only seen one once, so now I have a pair. The other Nikor with the thin strip of metal doesn't seem to clamp in any way. Maybe it's bent. The Kindermann might need more practice. Thanks again.

4. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning, Jeff,

The "German" reel looks like a Kinderman; if you check the clamp carefully, you'll notice an embossed "K" in a circle with "Made in Germany" below it. My other Kinderman 120 reels (older ones, I think) work differently. They have a spring loaded puncturing pin which is raised as the film is inserted and then released to punch directly through the film. That design works like a charm, and I can't figure out why it was ever changed. With the one you have, it helps to use a paper punch to put a hole through the film (centered across the width, of course) instead of trying to press the spike through it. Doing that sometimes also punches a finger!

Konical

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  5. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good tip. Thanks Konical

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kindermann has by now left the field of analogue photography.

7. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We all work differently. I find most of the time that clips on stainless steel reels are trouble some. I crinkle the film if I clip the film in wrong. I just bypass the clips. Does anybody else does that for 35mm and 120 reels?

8. Hal Reiser

Hal Reiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have two Nikkor reels with the formed thin wire spring type clamps. No matter how I tried to clamp the film I almost always ended up with crescent moon shaped wrinkles in the first frame. I also started bypassing the clips and found the reels loaded much easier and the problem was solved.

9. M Carter

M Carter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have to confess that my steel-reels snobbery finally gave way to plastic. But I've done a ton of snip testing since fall and will likely do more... easy to get 3-4 frames on a plastic reel, a little tougher on steel!

10. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use several Kinderman (120) reels with no problems. If you are not already doing it, try cutting the corners of the lead of the film. While lifting the clamp some have a wire some a spike feed the film under and release. I prefer to slightly cup the film and roll the reel on the counter top. The film basically rolls itself on to the reel. It is not difficult to cut the film in total darkness. Practice in the light with a waste roll then in the dark.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

11. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I load both 35mm and 120 w/o using the clips.
    I found the clip more trouble that it was worth. If I did not load the 120 film into the clip "just right," loading the first rotation of the reel becomes difficult or impossible. So it just easier for me to load w/o using the clip.

12. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto.
    I've got some SS reels from just before dirt was invented and they have a wire "U" around the central legs. slip the film in and done.

13. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What I have experience is that the off brands or other than Nikon, Kindermann, Hewes, often don't work or are hit or miss. With the ones that work, Nikon, Kindermann, Hewes, they always work, never a problem. Everyone will have their personal favorites. The best plastic reels I have ever used are the Jobo ones.