120mm f3.5 Soft Focus Lens for Pentax 67

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ineffablething, Nov 22, 2006.

1. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Does anyone have the operating instructions for this lens? I just bought one and I have a few questions.

William

2. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I don't have written operating instructions, but I've used one for a few years. Maybe I can help?

3. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Kerik,

Thanks for the reply. Can you explain operation of the lens to me and the function of the three lines (2 white, 1 red) on the barrel of the lens. Also, this is the only Pentax lens I have that stops down automatically (without using the manual stop down switch). Is that normal?

William

4. Russ Young

Russ Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi-
    I've used mine for about 15 years with great pleasure... the lack of an automatic diaphragm is to force you to focus at the same aperture as you're viewing through- otherwise the results will be far different from what you saw in the viewfinder.
    It's very soft wide open but in half a stop becomes 'firmer.' For most subjects and contrast ranges, somehwere in the vicinity of f/5.6 is often optimal.
    The best negatives will look far too soft on the light table but will print beautifully.
    A lovely and underrated lens, one of the easiest soft focus lenses to master.
    Russ