127/120 paper backing

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by pinhole_dreamer, Feb 18, 2011.

1. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What do I do with it after I'm done developing the film?

By the way, rolling this film onto my spool causes much frustration and the use of extremely fowl language. I've never said chicken, turkey, pigeon, ect...more in my entire life!

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For some unknown reason, I save all mine in a box. Once in a blue moon I think I have a project that involves using the stuff, but that idea goes away as quickly as it came. I know what you mean about using the words duck, goose, and blue footed boobie when respooling 120 onto 620 spools for my Duaflex II. However, that diminishes with practice. So, practice, practice, and more practice.

3. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll have plenty of practice. I know that. Now that the film is drying (it looks rather good, except for the one I over-exposed), my scanner only handles 35mm film! D'oh! I should have figured out I'd get into the medium format film. Another set of fowl language, and yes, blue-footed boobie is right! I'm almost thinking of using my iMac with a plain background and my digital camera on a tripod as my 'scanner'. (Yes, I said it. Digital camera...it comes in handy from time to time, though.) I've also seen using a light covered with the white plastic grocery bags and a d****** camera as a scanner, also. *rolls eyes* It sucks when one doesn't have enough room in their house for an enlarger.

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of Patterson units. I find it easy to load 120 film. That being said it just takes practice.

Jeff

5. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What does this have to do with paper backing?

If you are talking about developing reels: I have found the heavy duty (Hewes, I think) reels to be quite easy to load, much more so than even the easiest 35mm. Calming. I say things like "Magret de Canard" and "Fois Gras" and occasionally "Coq au Vin".

If you are talking about re-rolling from a 120 to 127, I haven't a clue.

6. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just trying to figure out what to do with the paper backing once I have the film on the reels and in the tank. *shrugs* I could always save up enough of it to wallpaper my house. :wink:

7. degruyl

degruyl Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    or you could save it and buy some bulk film... (I toss it).

8. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure if I want to buy bulk film or not. 35mm in bulk is probably more like it if I can get my kids interested in film.

9. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Stick it on ebay along with the empty reels. :whistling:

10. Valerie

Valerie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about just throwing it away? Or add it to your paper recyling?

BTW, the plastic reels are welcomed at daycares, etc where they have great uses (like glueing them to sponges for sponge painting. Makes a handle for the kids to hold on to). Otherwise, mine would go into the plastic recycling bin.

11. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Roll film can be very frustrating !
    A little fowl language should be expected occasionally.

But, when you start screaming coccothraustes coccothraustes,
    Fringilla montifringilla, Melanitta fusca !

Then it's time to visit your Ornithologist.

I'm Just Saying ...

12. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 127 little camera I hope to shoot some with and have no backing paper to roll my own...so there are those of us out there that will need it (besides yourself) so don't toss it! I was glad the other day when the kids were outside while I was in the makshift darkroom...mommy has a FOUL mouth LOL! So frustrated! LOL!

13. jgcull

jgcull Subscriber

Funny, Jessica. Yeah, watch out for the little ones. haha But it does get easier with practice. I find if I reroll it backwards (in the dark, of course) and tape the paper back down, leave it in a black plastic bag while I do other stuff for a while, then load on the reels when ready to process - it goes on MUCh easier! Easier than that long 35mm film, in fact.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well in 30,5m/100ft 35mm film you can make it how you want it, 1-40 exposures. But I agree 127 film is short and very easy to load on a reel.

16. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    was going to ask...when the time comes that I do "127" what reel works? I have multi-size patterson reels for my 35 and 120 but I have no idea the size for 127. I also thought perhaps I'd just use 35mm and cover my window on the back and try to learn how many"turns" to get to a new frame but then....I dread the long 35mm rolls I have LOL! I prefer shorter film with 12 frames or less LOL! Suppose I could cut it.....hmmm -( My little "gem" is a beacon II and then also newly aquired baby brownie special - the little bakelite one...so cute!)

17. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    127 roll film is 4cm wide. Paterson and Jobo 2502 reels can handle it.

18. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks!

19. GRHazelton

GRHazelton Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jessica, Freestyle carries a little 127 BW, and The Frugal Photographer http://www.frugalphotographer.com/index.htm carries some negative color. Ain't cheap, though. I think there are others, but these two came to mind.

I have a Komaflex S, a 127 SLR I hope to get fixed one day, along with all my other projects. 127 is a nice size for slides, they'll run in a 35mm pojector.

20. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    thanks! I saw that at freestyle because I buy film there...I may buy some just to have one roll of the real stuff and one to use for reference too....I have a friend that mentioned she has some so hopefully she'll remember and send some LOL! (probably old but I can use it for reference on size and things and use the paper and spools)

21. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your Super System 4 reels will adjust for 127 size film. I think its the middle position on the reel.

22. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Rick!

23. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Offer that 127 paper and spools to others who can use it.

I get 46mm non-perforated bulk film to roll onto 127. I don't know how much longer those 100ft rolls will be available but you can get about 45 rolls of 127 out of one.

24. Robburrito

Robburrito Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last fall I bought an epson v600 scanner (which only scans up to 120 size) so I could finally scan my 120 negatives. Then I promptly went out and started shooting LF. :pinch:

25. darkroom

darkroom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i just toss mine in a draw and save it, if i toss it out thats when i will find i needed it for something, so i just save it, to keep me from using the language of fustration :smile:

26. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I save my 120 backing paper in case I ever get some 70mm bulk film to reroll or if I need to cut some down when I reload my 126 cartridges as I have non-perf 35mm Kodak Gen 2 C-41 (Portra 160NC) and g.p. Surv 400 superpanchromatic (Rollei Retro 400S) which works great. I reuse the tape too.