127 folders: is this Piccolette factory finished?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by walter23, Feb 25, 2009.

1. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I don't believe it's original, because a factory covering would still allow for the camera maker (either Zeiss Ikon or Contessa Nettel) to have its logo visible in some manner.

Plus, I know that it was the roaring 1920s, but I don't think that snakeskin was fashionable for photographic equipment of that era.

Seriously though, I don't think it's OEM, although it appears to be very nicely done.

The Piccolette is easy to cover, because most of the cameras had no covering -- just black paint.

Also, this has a very inexpensive lens and shutter combo, which goes against the bling. Of course, bling and high end were never kissing cousins, as we continue to learn from popular culture.

3. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I think I played with one of these at a camera fair last year (it was on a junk table.) I'm almost positive the cover is not original.

The shutter on the one I played with seemed quite fragile.

4. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a piccolette (not covered like this) and I like the shutter more than the similar one on the vest pocket kodaks - seems a bit more reliable.. but these were mass produced cameras and not as solid as some. Anyone know how many piccolette's were made?

5. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I don't think knows what he is selling at best or something else......
    Since when is rollfilm perforated ?????

Still nice old camera's.

Peter

6. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    For a while, I thought these were uncommon, but they aren't. They seem to come up with some regularity on eBay. I have one with a triplet and also one with a dial-set Compur and a Tessar. Both of my cameras are Contessa-Nettel products.

The camera survived the 1926 merger that created Zeiss Ikon. Production continued until 1931. It's not clear when the first Piccolette was produced, but I think it was around 1919 or 1920, first as a Contessa-Nettel product. That means the camera had an 11-year run, which is long by any standard.

I have a short writeup on the camera on my site.

7. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Cool, thanks elekm. I also thought they weren't common and paid something stupid like $36+shipping for the one I got (with the meniscus lens). I've picked up kodak VPKs for $10 or thereabouts with a bit of patience, but then there are usually 5 or 10 of those listed at any time.