127 Format Users

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Rick Tapio, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Rick Tapio

Rick Tapio Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I am interested if anybody on this forum is actively using 127 format? I would love to know who you are.

I pulled my fathers old camera out & determined (with the help of some nice co-4X5 shooters) that it is a folding Zeh (no name) Goldi camera. I found some film from Freestyle & will be developing the first roll soon.

I know of the website www.onetwoseven.org.uk that has suggested developing times for the 127 Efke 100 B&W film, but thought I would ask here also.

I also have 3 rolls of B&W Ansco 127 film that is about 50 years old. Anybody had any experience developing such old film? I saw some threads for Ansco color film on this forum, but not B&W.

Rick Tapio

2. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As it is a U.K. site and you are asking about a 50 yr old film that sounds exclusively U.S. you may not have much luck with the site's founder's knowledge extending that far but I'd e-mail him and ask. I did and got a very quick and helpful answer. There might be someone on the site who does know.

pentaxuser

3. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two years ago when my mother-in-law died, someone handed me her old Brownie 127 and a bag of unused film. As best we could figure, both the camera and the film were from the '60's. The film was labelled 'Gevaert Safety Film'. No ASA rating, but I presumed it to be daylight 50 speed. I shot three rolls under sunny conditions. I developed the first roll in Rodinal 1+25 for 8 minutes but the negatives were quite thin. The second roll went for 12 minutes. The scene imaged well, but there was a lot of base fog. The negatives were thick and the contrast was really low because of the fog in the highlights. The negatives were still printable using a #5 filter, however. I ended up scanning a couple of prints and working them further in pshop and I managed to get a nice 12x12 print. Not optimum, but it all worked.

So if you've got only three rolls, I'd blow one doing a couple of clip tests to find an acceptable development time.

4. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Yashica 44 and a Vest Pocket Kodak from time to time.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the data for processing 50 year old Ansco film here in Turkey, it was published in the UK at the time :D.

What Ansco film is it, actually the book is under my glass of Coke as I write . . . . . .

Ian

6. Rick Tapio

Rick Tapio Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I just went & got the rolls to look at them & there is not much to go on. All that is written on the rolls is ANSCO ALL WEATHER.

7. spoolman

spoolman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    old 127 film

Hi Rick:I've got a Yashica 44 and a Kodak Vollenda 127 Made In Germany.I recently picked up a number of Ansco All weather film rolls in 620 and it is/or was rated at ASA 125.Try a test roll and rate it at half the posted ASA,around 64 and process it or have it processed in Kodak HC-110 @ 7 to 8 minutes @ 68 degrees F.I find HC-110 has a anti-foggant as part of it's formulation.So you don't have to add a separate restrainer,such as Potassium Bromide or Benzotriazole(Edwal's Liquid Orthazite).

If you process the film yourself,try no agitation for 30 seconds,then 5 to 10 seconds every 30.stop,fix and wash as per your preferences and it should produce fairly usable negs.

Good Luck,

Doug:smile:

8. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Vest Pocket Kodak Special, f/7.7, focusing model. The leather covering is failing, but the glass in great shape, and the bellows don't leak. You get a huge negative for such a small camera. Rather limited set of shutter speeds. I have a stock of elderly Verichrome Pan that still works at EI 50. I also have a 100 foot roll of Portra 160NC, which I load in old paper/spools, and get lovely color pictures -- grainless.

I also have a Foth Derby, which I replaced the shutter curtains on. The shutter has incredible recoil, holding the camera so it doesn't shake itself silly is a challenge. All that for a 3x4cm half frame negative -- microscopically larger than a 35mm negative -- not worth the trouble.

I also have a Tokyo Optical Primo Jr. I just don't get on well with TLR's, but it's mighty sharp like most Topcor lenses.

9. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Baby Rollei and several other 127 rollfilm cameras that I shoot with. I shoot a lot of Efke 100 127 rollfilm and develop it in Pyrocat-MC.

10. Rick Tapio

Rick Tapio Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I was thinking about using HC110 anyway, so knowing about the anti-foggant nails that decision down. Thanks for the advice! I can post results if there are any.

Rick Tapio

11. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Several years ago I played a lot with my Yashica 44. Efke film got too expensive. I did re-roll some APX100 120 after cutting it down on my lathe with a sharp knife. That worked OK but re-rolling it is a lot of bother. I also have some Portra 160 and some Konica 160 color in long rolls. That works, I have a local place that will process it for me... but really, for all the trouble, I have enough 120 cameras lying around to keep me busy for a long time.

Not that I am getting rid of the Yashica. What a nice camera.

tim in san jose

12. tac

tac Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a new-to-me Gray Baby Rollei and a dozen rolls of Efke R100 supposed to be delivered today.

I develop old B/W films, stored at room temperature for 12 years+, by shooting at 1/2 box speed, process in d76 1:1 for 1.3x nominal time with the addition of 0.3cc per 120 roll of 1% benzotriazole solution in isopropyl alcohol. Works like a charm

13. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Rolleiflex 4x4 from 1938 that I sometimes use. I wish Efke 25 (or 50) was available in 127.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've used a number of 127 cameras, including mostly folders. I've used Efke, Maco and Adox. All curl very badly, so I load the film backward onto the spool, which seems to help a bit.

I recently picked up a 127 camera that had a Kodak Verichrome Pan in it. I processed it in D-76, and nearly all of the images were usable. I would reckon that the shots were from the 1950s.

See the photos here.

16. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't tempt me, guys--I would need to pick up a new negative carrier. Are all 127 cameras 4x4, or are there rectangular formats too?

17. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have an Ihagee Parvola that shoots 6x4.5 on 127. Last time I used it (around 15 years ago), Kodak still made color 127 film. Last month I picked up a Parvola on e-bay that takes 3x4 photos on 127.

Dan

19. Marc Akemann

Marc Akemann Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Cragstan Zen-99 with a fixed 70mm f/11 Kowa Prominar lens. I can get either 4x4 or 4x6 (cm) images from it. I just picked up a similar Light Super with a 70mm Uera Light Optical Works lens. These two cameras are identical in design (except that the Light Super has a flash sync connection while the Zen-99 doesn't) and are basically toy cameras from the early 60's but are made of metal rather than plastic. I'm part of a local group called the Ann Arbor Area Crappy Camera Club (A3C3) for which these cameras clearly qualify. Pure fun. http://www.crappycameraclub.org/index.html http://www.flickr.com/groups/krappy/

The Zen-99 is currently loaded with Ektachrome 100 purchased from B&H in NY.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  20. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also have a Yashica 44. All of my film is Efke. Some is labeled Jessops but all of it is in the freezer. I have some stainless steel (Nikor?) 127 reels as well as Paterson reels/tanks which could be used. I find the Efke film a little curly and not terribly fine grained but with some care nice results can be obtained. I have some Kodak Imagelink HQ which was cut down to 127 for me a while ago. I might try a roll while the weather is good.

21. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. Marc Akemann

Marc Akemann Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for those links, Clay.

Marc

23. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, we have no 127 film, we have no 127 film today.

tim in san jose

24. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just started shooting 127 in a Coronet stereo (3D) camera. It takes a pair of 4x4 images at once. The viewfinder is binocular style.

When I got the camera, I thought I'd never be able to find film. Turns out that the camera store closest to my house actually stocks C-41 colour and black & white 127!!

Anyone in Toronto should check out Film Plus. Their price for 127 is reasonable. Macophot UP 100plus B&W is 5 bucks, Macophot UCN 200 colour is 10 bucks.

I had it developed at Toronto Image Works, and scanned it myself.

The printed Holmes cards are fantastic! The 4x4 neg size really maximizes what you can get from a meniscus lens...

25. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It really is too bad this format kind of died. I had a little baby Yashica TLR in 127 that would make a cool camera to throw in my briefcase everyday. Actually if it was more popular I'd go find myself an nice Rollei to carry around.

26. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greg, I, um, feel your pain. Or perhaps you feel mine. Here I sit with a Sawyer's Mk. IV all set to shoot superslides to use, where possible, in slide shows with 24x36ers shot with my Nikons and there's no more 127 reversal film. Sorry, I'm not up to trimming 120 and attaching backing paper and and and.

Someone mentioned Film for Classics earlier in this thread. I once bought some 127 Ektachrome from them. The'd attached the film to the wrong end of the backing paper. Arrrrgh!