12x16in paper? Black&White Mag Competition Requirement

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by pkerr, Jun 5, 2005.

1. pkerr

pkerr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I Subscribe to Black&White Magazine and the current issue, June 2005, has announced a photo competition that interests me.

However, it states "All silver print entries must be printed on 12x16in paper.."

I've never come across paper that size and did a search at my favourite suppliers and found nothing. I don't feel like cutting 16x20in paper. This seems rather odd. Any explanation, I know the editor Ailsa appears in these forums maybe she's reading.

Deadline is Aug 25. Great 1st prize, a Mamiya 7II.

2. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think 12x16 is a standard European size paper, probably known better by its rough metric equivalent 30x40cm.

3. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Fotospeed legacy is sold by Freestyle and is 12x16

lee\c

4. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    J&C Photo has some nice ones.......but a contest isn't the time to break in a new paper. Cutting down a 16X20 isn't the end of the world if you're a serious contender. Is the contest listed on line anywhere?

5. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Indeed. 12x16 is a standard size in the UK: I mostly buy paper in that size.

BTW, 11x14, as used widely in the US, is almost unobtainable in the UK (I think Ilford supply it, but few companies stock it) which always struck me as odd as it's a useful size for an 8x10 print. Anyway, I digress.. yes 12x16 is common in Black And White Photography's motherland...

Bob.

6. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why not email Ailsa and ask if 11 x 14 will be acceptable? As I understand the rules the image size is not specified so the slight reduction in paper area should not be too important.

7. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    and since we get the mag 2-3 months behind, this will be over before I know about it! :sad:

8. pkerr

pkerr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's over a month out of date at the newstand here in Ottawa but now that I subscribe I get it well before the date on the cover. Actually, the date's not on the cover since the subscription version has a nice clean cover with a photo and not much else.

9. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's why I subscribe. But even though our newsagents are behind, Nige, you will probably still get the May issue in time to put in an antry.

10. pkerr

pkerr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see any online information. I think they want you to buy at least one issue of the magazine. Highly recommeded.

It was in the June 2005 issue. £2,300 of prizes. That's about $5,000US I think.

11. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It was also in the May issue, so anybody who's a month or two or three behind should look for that one.

12. pkerr

pkerr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received a quick reply from Aisla. She wasn't aware that 12x16 was uncommon in other parts of the universe. She also said that 11x14 would be okay but add a note that it's not easily available in your area.

Now, I may have stirred up some competition. Darn.

Good luck all.

13. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So what is the contest about?

14. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's not for you Jorge... requirements include negatives NO LARGER than APS size , and NO contact prints allowed.
    :D

Uh oh... here comes the posse! And I was hoping it would be a nice and quiet competition with all the big guns somewhere else.

15. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That is ok Niko, I have 35 mm, I can always crop to APS size... :tongue:

I am just curious...I have no plans to enter, from what I understand the prices are in merchandise and digital cameras, stuff that I dont need.

16. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thankfully, although digital prints are accepted, the prizes are either film based (main prize is a Mamiya 7II, Ilford tokens) or non-specific (Sekonic L308s and Billingham Hadley bags).

Categories are a bit complicated in that only the "Portfolio" category (4 prints) is eligible for the main prize. Other categories are: People; Places; Still Life & Abstract - all one print each - and Black and White Printer of The Year - one print showing off printing skills...

One strange thing: "Entries must not be in tubes. Entries sent this way will be returned." :confused: Storage problems?

Bob.

17. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks Bob, heck if I needed a MF camera I think this would be a great contest to enter. The Mamiya 7 II is an excellent camera! If anybody from APUG enters, I wish you all luck.. :smile:

18. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looking problems more like. Have you ever tried to unroll a 16x12 fibre long enough to look at it?

19. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good point: hadn't though of that! After 2 weeks in a tube working its way through the post office, you'd need a dumbbell at each corner :wink:...

Bob.

20. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not email the editor, she is a member of this forum.

Simply point out that 16"x12" is not a size normally available in north America, which she almost certainly doesn't realise. As others have said its a European size, 11"x14" is very rare here in the UK.

It isn't fair to expect you to use papers you don't normally use, or to have to buy far larger paper to cut down.

So go ask :smile:

Ian

21. Galaxens President

Galaxens President Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assume the magazine that is referred to is the british "Black & white photography" and not the american "B&W Magazine". I often see "Black&White Magazine" referred to here on apug and get confused which one that is meant to be. (there is also a contest in B&W Magazine with deadline June 15, but digital submission only :-( ).