13" Wollensak APO Raptar

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by ronlamarsh, Apr 13, 2009.

1. ronlamarsh

ronlamarsh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought this lens some years back from the famous dagor 77, who claimed it to be a goertz Artar copy. Can anyone confirm this? is this lens actually any good? For what it is worth its F10 and appears to be symetrical i.e. the front and rear elements seem identical.

2. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 10.25" and it is a killer lens.

3. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wonder how the coverage compares with the 14" Apochromatic Raptar? I just got one of these.

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have a 10.75 inch (273mm) f6.8 Wollensak Graphic Raptar wide field lens mounted in a Pi-Alphax shutter, sharp as a tack with some movement on a 7x17.

John Powers

5. John Irvine

John Irvine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a 15" 380 mm Wollensak. I have not used it too much, but have had no unsurmountable problems with it. I picked it up for $50.00 about 15 years ago, still in the box. The only problem is that no filters will fit it. A 77 mm filter or adapter is just a hair too small. I frequently need a ND filter because the fastest shutteer speed on it is 1/50 of a second. It is an Alphax Synchromatic Wollensak shutter. That's a wierd max speed. I wonder what the original use was for the lens.

It is a real coincidence that your thread appeared today. I just used the lens this afternoon for the first time in several years, then saw the thread.

6. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The Pi-Alphax on my 10.75 inch Raptar also has a top speed limit of 1/50th. I was told that these shutters were heavy duty and used in the catalog business where there was no need for speed and a high need for reliability.

John

7. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have a 15" that I use as a long lens on my 4x5. It is great and sharp as can be. I got this one for free!

Jim

8. John Irvine

John Irvine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Shutter release on the Wollensak

How do you attach a shutter release cable to these lenses? Moving the shutter lever down cocks and fires the shutter. There is a place to attach a release cable just below the leaver, but I cannot see that it has any effect on the cocking/release.

It is an Alphax Synchromatic Wollensak shutter.

9. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format

You need a cable-release with a long-throw for self-cocking shutters such as this. If it then still does not fire, you may have an internal shutter problem.

10. John Irvine

John Irvine Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. That was the problem. I was able to make 2 mm long plug from a 6d finishing nail that just fits between the cable release. Now it will reach and fire the shutter. I can hardly wait to get out in the field and drop it in the grass.

11. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been shooting the last few days with a 15" APO Wolly that I picked up, still connected to the prism used in a copy camera, for $25. It's really quite sharp and contrasty. The aperture is really round - lots of blades. It seems to be a keeper for 5x7 and 8x10. I'm using a Packard shutter for now since it's in a barrel mount. I seem to recall that thos wasn't one of the "easy to find a shutter" situations, though I admit I haven't done any research yet. Wonder if I can make a focusing viewer from that prism... Hmmmm.