14 Month Old Stabilizer

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Lamar, May 26, 2013.

1. Lamar

Lamar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a liter of Digibase C41 stabilizer that I mixed up about 14 months ago. Can it still be used safely? I have everything for a new batch of C41 chemicals except stabilizer and I have 6 rolls I'd like to develop today if the stabilizer will still work. I searched but couldn't find a stabilizer specific answer. Thanks in advance.

2. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Time is not a big issue for stabalizer. Capacity is measured in the number of rolls that have been treated and yep there is a limit. If you have not been replenishing I would suggest a couple extra minutes in that step but I'd do it.

Similarly bleach and fix (when used and kept separately, I'm not talking about blix here) can be reused indefinitely with proper replenishment.

The tricks with all three are simply replenishing to maintain the proper balance of active ingrediants and keeping the solutions clean.

Developers can also be reused and replenished but time will take a toll on it, it needs very regular use, replenishment, and protection from oxygen.

3. Lamar

Lamar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's looks clear and has only had 5 rolls in it. The documentation says 1 liter will process 60 rolls so I think I'm good to go. I'll start warming things up. Thanks!!!!

4. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perfect, just normal time then. Have fun!