14 x 17 and or 20 x 24 users...?

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Dave Wooten, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    14 x 17 and or 20 x 24 users...? 16 x 20 ?

How many are there on this forum? Are we indeed the most rare/insane users group?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2006
  2. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave,

Rare yes, but I don't know about insane. If on the other hand you were shooting in color in those sizes, then I might say you were a bit nuts.

Rich

3. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I know of Kerik and Tracy and Sandy and Zebra, are there any others?

Kerik/14 x 17...Tracy/14x17 and 20 x 24....Zebra /20 x 24.....Sandy/20x24.

4. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I shoot 14X17 with a cobalt source. Does that count?

5. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Allen Friday shoots a 20x24.

6. jamie young

jamie young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been making a 20x24 hobo style camera. Does that count? I've made one holder, and the camera is almost done.Construction style is very "uliitarian". I figured I would try it a bit before making more holders. I'm planning on doing round images on 20x24 film.
    Probably mostly on ortho film, at least at first, to keep costs down.
    Jamie Young

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    20x24 for me.

8. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    That counts! Interesting project Jaime...keep us all posted.

9. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Greg,

Is 404 a gallery or studio? I checked out the site...nice photos...the ULF list grows....

10. TracyStorer

TracyStorer Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    HERE! (raises hand)
    As Dave mentioned, 14x17 and 20x24, (and other formats.....I'm really excited to be finishing up an 8x10 Deardorff restoration for myself!)
    Howdy to the others, there are a couple 20x24 shooters I didn't know about!
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company TM
    www.mammothcamera.com

11. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello Tracy,

On your new camera (20 x 24) a nice option would be a mid bellows support "rack" not one that pulls on the front standard etc...bellows sag is one of my frustrations....usually stuff my hat and a lens bag underneath..

12. Zebra

Zebra Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello All,

As Dave mentioned I shoot 20 x 24, but only for a couple of weeks. I received my camera several weeks ago and have made two palladium prints with it (one landscape and one portrait of my wife). Its an exciting time. I am hoping to go out today and run a couple of sheets through it. I am working on my dip tank this week and will run my first wet plate collodion ambrotype through it hopefully early next week.

I also shoot 8 x 10 and 7 x 17.

Monty

13. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The Guild groweth......

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Tracy, I assume all your new products will be special order. So with that in mind I would love to see the plans of your 14x17 model. As a prospective buyer of course.

16. RobertP

RobertP Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Dave, Excellent suggestion for a mid support rack. I have 36" of bellows on my 8x20 and bellows sag is always a problem that I must always keep aware of. Plus it would help alleviate the pull on my feeble front standard from the bellows tabs Maybe something that has height adjustment to make up for the tapers of the bellows as it changes with different focal length lenses. Its exciting to see Tracy take the entrepreneurial plunge, giving us another choice in cameras. I think it will work out great considering the lead times with the other camera makers is a good indication that there is definitely room for another camera maker in the market. Best of luck Tracy

17. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    16 x 20 and special ULF considerations

I am aware of several 16 x 20 cameras built in the last 10 years or so...wondered if they are in active use.....I inadvertently left out this format sorry, I'd just recently been conversing with a few 14 x 17 and 20 x 20 photographers and it was on my mind....also of interest would be a sharing of info i.e. these formats....14 x 17, 16 x 20 and 20 x 24...a lot has been written about the panoramics and the 11 x 14 and smaller....

These ULF sizes have "special needs and issues"

1. Set up and take down....you don't exactly flit about the mountain side with your mule with these cameras...

2. Use of lens choice...visualization of the scene and decision to expose before the decision to "set her up"

3. Choice of film...as the cost of per square inch rises, it becomes more costly to stock several different films...

4. Special consideration in exposure and development of ULF films....different output processes chosen...

5. Handling, storing, traveling..

6. Purchasing film...

7. Organizing these format users for format promotion and establishment of

gallery showings of work produced by ULF photographers...

8. Special projects you might be working on in these formats...

18. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Monty - I'm looking forward to seeing those massive plates! FYI, you can do without the dipper tank. My 11x14 silver tank sprung a leak, so I've been sensitizing my 11x14 plates in a regular tray and it works great. Times in the bath are shorter because you can agitate more and you will use a fraction of the amount of silver nitrate compared to a traditional dipper tank. I also fix in trays rather than a tank so I can use less solution and replace it more often.

Didn't mean to hi-jack this thread... As Dave mentioned, I shoot 14x17 and am fairly certain that's as large as I'll every go. Dave, do you have a 20x24 now??

19. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Didn't mean to hi-jack this thread... As Dave mentioned, I shoot 14x17 and am fairly certain that's as large as I'll every go. Dave, do you have a 20x24 now??[/QUOTE]

Kerik, Not a hijack at all, just promoting the discussion and maybe some organizational ideas i.e. ULF......good input, thanks....Also I remember you had a special arm to support a big lens...the arm attached to your tripod leg etc...stuff like that is good to share....and what do you carry your camera in....

No I do not have 20 x 24....the 14 x 17 is a good size for me and I am too much of a wimp to move to the larger size.....although I like to hang out with those guys and it is a most facinating format, as with all the ULF sizes, even the setting up and looking on the ground glass, trying the different lenses and working with the movements and the whole process to me is quite a lot of fun, after nearly a year of "fiddling" and saving for film, getting my moves and organization down...I am just starting to shoot...it is a joy....

20. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use one of these as suggested by Clay. I attach it to a tripod socket that I installed on the bottom of my front standard. It really helps when you've got a big old portrait lens racked way out. I learned this the hard way when I had the front racked out with a heavy lens and the tripod socket pulled out of the bottom of my 14x17 camera and the whole she-bang rolled off the tripod and onto the lawn. With some patience and glue, I was able to put everything back together again. If I had been set up on a harder surface, it would have been a disaster.

21. Allen Friday

Allen Friday Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I shoot 16x20 and 20x24. Also a few of the "tiny" formats like 12x20 and 7x17. Most of my work has been in the studio for the past year. I built both my 16x20 and 20x24 cameras.

Currently I am moving into wet plate photography. I took a work shop and have assembled most the gear and made a few "miniature" plates in 5x7 and 8x10. Eventually, I want to get to 20x24 ambrotypes. I have two holders in that size. I have a project in mind that I think will work well in that size of ambro. But, I have a lot of technique to learn before starting. It may be a few years down the road.

Allen

22. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Dave, studio404 is a group of photographers, myself included, that exhibit together nationwide. There are more members than the site presents, but since they haven't given me any images to post, I didn't include them yet. We are a group of 14 artists that met in graduate school at Savannah College of Art and Design.

-Greg

23. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'm only half insane with 12x20, but I do belive that it is actually larger than 14x17 by a couple square inches! :D

24. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I may be less insane in terms of size, but the availability of 30x40cm (about 12x16") puts it in it's own class of insanity. The only cameras I've seen are variations over the Russian plate cameras like mine - big, heavy, ugly folding "field cameras" weighing in at 15kg (32 lb) and up. The (plate, not film) holders that are all that's available are also so heavy that I'm almost glad I have only one.

When I have a momentary fit of sanity I take the (antique, German) 24x30cm plate camera out for an airing. I was surprised to find that it's easier to get film for that than the "Olga". And a "standard" lens is only 360mm, which explains that length's place in the lineups of all German lens manufacturers.

25. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    one point six

And the format closest to the Golden mean....

12 x 20 images are indeed a visual delight....I had the privilege a while back in Dick Arentz's home in Flagstaff, to view a large number of his Platinum prints in 12 x 20, including some stunning verticals....it was quite a wonderful and most humbling experience...yes indeed 12 x 20 should belong in the ULF classification...

26. Rob Vinnedge

Rob Vinnedge Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I'm not a user yet, as my planned 16X20 camera with a 14X17 reducing back is still in the CAD stage at an industrial designer's studio. I do, however, have about $3000 worth of FP4 and T Max 400 in those sizes sitting in the freezer.

I am pumping iron in the meantime to prepare for the camera's birth (and using my 8X10).