15 rolls of 120 Kodachrome 64

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by ricksplace, Jan 12, 2010.

1. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I heard that Dwaynes is not processing 120 Kodachrome anymore. A colleague at work gave me a box of about 50 rolls of 120 film yesterday, with 15 rolls of Kodachrome 64 in it. Can I get it souped? What happens if I cross process it? Anybody here interested in it?

2. sandholm

sandholm Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They process, but they dont sell the film anymore,
    http://www.dwaynesphoto.com/

shoot them an email, but on there homepage they say they will process to the end of December 2010,

Kodachrome is different from anything else out there, so I dont think you can cross process it (it dont contain any dye for example), but dont trust me on that....

cheers
    Anders

3. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can process it as B&W in D76 or similar. Better sold as a collectors item :D

Ian

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No 120 Kodachrome processing at Dwaynes just:

Overview of Services

Slide Film Processing
    Processing for Kodachrome 35mm film. Processing for E-6 film 35mm, 120 and 220

Ian

5. Anon Ymous

Anon Ymous Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cross process it in what? Remember, the K14 process adds dyes to the film. The only thing that you can probably do is use it as a BW negative film, but I don't see a reason for doing so. Other than that, a member here has slitted 120 Kodachrome to make subminiature film IIRC.

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd agree that the best use of it is to slit it for Minox or give/sell it to someone who does that, since Dwayne's can still process it.

7. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You could probably also process Kodachrome as B+W positive. I'm not sure if dr5 can do this.

8. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Slit it for 828 or something. Or else run there begging for chemistry and do it yourself.

9. Venchka

Venchka Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Per phone converstion with Dwayne's in 2006 or 2007:

"We don't process 120 Kodachrome. We NEVER processed 120 Kodachrome."

10. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think Dwayne's can handle it if it can be spliced to a format that they already process in their roller processing lines: 35mm, 16mm, and Super-8. Minox can be spliced to Super-8, I suppose. The 35mm line may depend on the sprocket holes, which would rule out 828, but maybe not.

11. JSebrof

JSebrof Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a thread from the other photo site bookmarked:
    http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/009ajI

The thread concerns processing Kodachrome at home, and while step by step instructions don't exist, I've figured that the closer we get to Jan 1, 2011 the more likely someone will figure out and post the chemistry and steps necessary for hand development of Kodachrome, since not all rolls of K-chrome out there are likely to be sent in before time. Personally, 120 K-chrome sounds pretty neat, if it were me and I were feeling particularly ambitious, I'd try to process them by hand after figuring out the right chemistry and steps.

12. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They can process 828.

Here are the steps to process Kodachrome: 1. Acquire several 50 gallon drums of chemistry for large sum of money. 2 Acquire proper filters for another large sum of money. 3 Find specifications for re-exposure steps in foot candle seconds. 4 set aside several days in which to process a few rolls of film.

I tried to process 120 Kodachrome and it failed. I will likely try again when I have time to waste. I'm positive given chemistry, filters, and specs I could run the process. It's been done before. Unfortunately I have neither of the three and poking in the dark results in strange colored film.

13. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the best thing here is for you to contact Dwaynes yourself. That way there is no mistake one way or the other.

Rick

14. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They do not process 120. Nobody in the world processes 120 K14. The last processing run occurred in 2001 shortly after 9/11. People had trouble making the deadline. The film itself has not been made since 1995.

15. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Read more on Kodachrome processing. It is most certainly not a do at home process.

...Controlled dye diffusion, adding each colour dye one at a time, then controlled bleaching to get to the next silver layer, develop, add next dye, controlled diffusion, etc.

That it works at all is just short of a mircale

16. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ya,

but as PE has stated in other threads regarding Kodachrome, ALL testing of new/revised films is done in HAND TANKS(i.e. inversion).

so, it definitely CAN be done, but at a tremendous price I would imagine.

but its just easier to send the film to Dwaynes(only 35mm now :sad:)

-Dan

17. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you can get me chemistry, I can do 120 K14...for a fee.

18. John Shriver

John Shriver Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The K-14 formula is no secret, it's all in US Patent 3,657,525. Due to the 1955 consent decree (antitrust), it's an open published process.

But the only source for some of the ingredients is probably Kodak (or maybe they subcontract to Eastman Organic Chemicals). But they may not want to sell them. You may need an organic chemist to make some of them.

Best use for 120 Kodachrome 64 is to slit it to 35mm wide for 828 cameras.

19. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd spool it for Bantam/828 and/or submini cameras...and GET ON IT. You have less than a year.

Of course, there is the likelihood that the film will all be magenta anyhow, so it might not even be worth it. IME, Kodachome doesn't keep that well unexposed.

If you DO end up spooling it as Bantam film, let me know. I have a Kodak 828 adapter for a view camera that I would love to use with Kodachrome for its last hurrah. It has a cute little 35mm ground glass and all. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2010
  20. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a batch which was tested last year. Someone split it to Minox. Some guy sold 600 rolls of it or something that had been in his freezer since he bought them. Expired 1989. I'm told when rated at ISO 50 it's good as new.

21. Denis R

Denis R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    error

please chech your facts and try again.
    the patent you cited is assigned to General Electric Company issued Apr. 18, 1972 describing a method of controlling rate of motion

22. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, I have no intention in processing the film myself. I have a few apuggers who would like a roll or two, and I will follow up with them. If there is anyone who wants to slit the film for 828 or minox, you are welcome to it for the price of postage.

Rick.