15 year old Tech Pan

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by chrism, Aug 11, 2009.

1. chrism

chrism Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just bought a 150 ft roll of Tech Pan that expired in 1995. Supposedly it has been Frozen but who knows, since it is such a slow film I imagine it will be OK.

Does anyone have any advice on exposure? Should I rate it lower (ISO 12 or lower) given the age of the film.

2. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd do a test roll of 12 exposures, exposed at 25, 50 and maybe one ISO lower (12 as you say). (So 4 exposures per ISO)

Cut the film into thirds once it's exposed, and develop each clipping per the ISO used.

If ISO 50 is foggy, try 25. If that's foggy, try 12.

If the film was truly frozen it will be fine. I'm sure the last master roll Kodak sold was frozen for quite a long time.

3. stealthman_1

stealthman_1 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unless it was stored on a dashboard in Georgia all this time you should be fine. As recommended though, it won't hurt to shoot a short roll at several speeds and see what you like. A whole lot of Israeli TP has been sold on the auction site with 91-94 expiration that shoots as new.

4. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should be fine, no problem.

5. redrockcoulee

redrockcoulee Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That is practically new compared to the 4X5 Technical Pan I have been shooting. A test roll of 12 exposures will not even be noticed gone from a roll of 150 feet. My 4X5 I have just exposed as normal as I did for some 120 film expired in 1997 but shot the last roll of that last month.

6. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some old TechPan also. What developer are you folks using for this since the original, preferred is no longer available..I think? :confused:

7. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best Tech Pan negs I ever got were developed in XTOL after being shot at EI 6 (no joke). The negs were very printable. Kodak published recommendations for this at one point; perhaps you can find them.

8. stealthman_1

stealthman_1 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rollei RLC. Available at Freestyle, not cheap, but delivers. Develop with the same immersion and agitation method as recommended with Technidol. Rollei ATP needs this type treatment as well or you will get beautiful pictures with horrible development marks, just destroys a nice sky.

9. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you. I'm going to have to give this a try, film is pretty old though, but what the heck.

10. phfitz

phfitz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kodak Flexicolor C-41 first developer worked very well with TP.
    Pat Gainer's original Vitamin-C developer worked very well with TP.

11. redrockcoulee

redrockcoulee Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Camerastore in Calgary still has lots of Technidol liquid developer. I have enough for the box of 4X5 and 15 rolls of 35mm I have left but they had perhaps 25 packages still in stock a couple of months ago