16 x 20 Calumet/Zone VI Archival Print Washer

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by BruceN, Aug 21, 2006.

1. BruceN

BruceN Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am starting to restore one of these nice washers to useable condition (cleanup, replacement of hoses, etc.). I'd like to know what flow rates, etc. others are using with these washers and any other pointers that might help me get started with it.

Thanks,

Bruce

2. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't know about anyone else but here in the desert I use a soak and periodic flow regimen. I usually wash for a period of an hour and a flow about every twenty minutes sufficient to replace the volume of the washer. If you decide to do this then the formula for determining that is widthXheightXdepth divided by 231. That will give you the gallons contained in the washer.

The studies that I have encountered for FB archival processing seem to suggest that immersion time in water is as important as continual flow.

3. Peter Rockstroh

Peter Rockstroh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ì have a Zone VI 16x20 washer and, once filled, I use it at a flow rate of 25 liter/hour.
    Try to get an irrigation valve to feed the water into the washer, since I have found that the standard faucets I get locally are impossible to graduate to a steady flow.

Best,

Peter