1938 Kodak film....undeveloped

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by hoffy, Jul 18, 2013.

1. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greetings,

Today I have been going through a whole bunch of film with my father, that was part of my late Uncles estate.

In amongst this lot we have come across a roll of Kodak 118 film, marked with a date of process before September 1, 1938. Considering the film is wrapped in tin foil, I do think it has been exposed(it doesn't specifically say that, though, so I may be wrong).

Considering the date, if the roll is exposed, they would have been taken by my grand father.

Ok, any ideas what the film is? Any ideas what can be done with it, processing wise? I have a few snaps of the box and the roll, which I will upload when I get home tomorrow.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013
  2. pierre506

pierre506 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    waiting for the results~

Sent from my XT882 using Tapatalk 2

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For such old film I would be using HC110 dilution B to minimize base fog. Most of the times for dilution B on digitaltruth are around 5-10 minutes: so maybe 7 min?

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A note of caution, the film WILL be brittle, handle accordingly.

5. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What would the base be?

6. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I came across an old roll of film like this in the camera take up once. I was already to develop it, but the whole length of it was stuck to the backing paper and I had to toss it :-(

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It should be safety film, but a slim chance it could be nitrate base. My research shows that some time in 1938 they changed base material on most films to less dangerous material.

8. donkee

donkee Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I ran into that once. I developed the roll anyway since the paper wasn't stuck to the emulsion side. It actually turned out decent considering. I got a couple usable frames most were fogged though. The paper just peeled off after the development.

9. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there anything further to indicate the type of film? In 1938 it looks, based on Kodak's own history pages, like the "normal" film would be Verichrome---the ortho version, not Verichrome Pan, which wasn't introduced until 1956. If so, you could develop it by inspection under a safelight, but you'd want to be pretty confident that it was an ortho emulsion first.

-NT

10. msage

msage Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Had a few rolls like that, pre-soaked in water until the paper came off, then processed it a open tray.
    It was not perfect but better then nothing!

11. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These old films didn't change as frequently as the newer stuff. I have an old PLI from just after WWII that recommends about 10 minutes in D-76 with agitation every two minutes for Verichrome. In size 118, it is probably Verichrome, if it is from Kodak. I would recommend that you unwrap the film in total darkness and see if the backing paper is in place and taped so that the film will not unwind. (If the tape is gone and the backing paper is loose, cinch things up and secure it with a bit of Scotch tape.) If the backing paper is in place, you can examine the roll in the light and determine what kind of film it really is.

The film format is 3.25 by 4.25 inches, and you will not find a film reel for it. You will have to develop it using the see-saw method, where you attach a clip to each end of the film and, with one clip in each hand, run it back and forth through a tray or deep tank of each of the solutions. This is sort of continuous agitation, and times will need to be adjusted. A 10 to 15 percent reduction should do - say 8-1/2 to 9 minutes. Verichrome was orthochromatic, and the instructions say you can develop it by inspection with a Wratten No. 2 safelight (dark red). The No. 2 is really quite dark, and ordinary red safelights are not really safe for this film. Even with the right safelight, I would develop for the first half of the time in total darkness.

12. ctsundevil

ctsundevil Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I tried to develop a roll of 118 verichrome using the see-saw method with a no. 2 safe light. It worked, but was unwieldy and messy.
    Nikor made a 118 reel. They come up for sale on eBay very rarely.
    If the film is wrapped in a paper-backed foil, it may be unexposed. Kodak roll film was packed that way prior to the mid 50's.

13. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ok, thanks for that. When I turn on my pc, I'll post some pics of the roll I took with my tablet. They are too big for the forum and need resizing.

14. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is the foil packet opened? If you remove the roll from the foil, does it provide any clues about it having been taken off the supply spool and rolled onto the takup spool, like with a 'exposed' label sealing the roll after exposure?

15. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, attached are images of how the film came and the box it came in with it.

I am now probably considering that it is not exposed, as no where does it mention that its exposed on the paper. As per ctsundevil's suggestion, the film was wrapped in a paper backed foil (as you can see). I didn't realise that this is how it may have come:

Box_20130718_141302.jpg Box_20130718_141815.jpg Foil_20130718_141334.jpg Spool_20130718_141410.jpg

16. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    It looks like unopened indeed. If you don't have a camera for it, you could cut off a piece and tape it inside a 4x5" sheet film holder and expose at low ISO. Develop and see if anything is on it, before you use the rest.

17. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am probably not that interested in exposing the film, as its a nice little piece to have in the cupboard. I am probably more interested if there are images on it - possibly images that were taken around the time that my father was born. I think I got excited, as it was wrapped in aluminium foil. I immediately thought of what I do when I am travelling with exposed 120 film (call me paranoid).

Cheers

18. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I think you're right not exposing the film but keeping it as-is, especially if it isn't used indeed.

BTW: about the FILMCON 4 in you're signature: you didn't read this thread, did you?
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172...ms-discontinuation-several-fuji-products.html
    Might be a FILMCON 5 upgrade? :sick:

19. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hah, I think we are on a 3, boarderline 2....