1945 Kodak 35RF!!!

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by j-dogg, Aug 9, 2012.

1. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Found this poor thing sitting in a camera shop for display purposes.....traded them a busted-up Minolta XE7 with a jammed shutter for it. Winning. :laugh:

So far I'm certain everything works, I think 1/10 and 1/25 are a bit fast I need to check the shutter speeds tomorrow. It's MINTY.....but the lens is cloudy, not sure if it's the front or inside. Can I use standard glass cleaner on it? Otherwise, I love it. Test roll going in tomorrow if the shutter speeds check out. How do you rewind the film on it once it's all shot up?

[​IMG]

The camera on the right came from the same shop a few months back, it's off to Mark Hama for a CLA and parallax adjustment soon. Use it a lot for landscapes, so infinity focus is pretty easy to find. Love the 1.4

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For cleaning lenses, I always use either Isopropyl Alcohol straight out of the bottle onto a soft piece of tissue paper but this will also soak up the natural oils from you fingers and sometimes transfer them to the lens, making it worse than before, so use a surgical glove when using it this way. My preferred way is a concoction of Isopropyl Alcohol 10%, 2% photographic wetting agent (Kodak Fotoflo) and the remaining quantity to make the 100%, distilled water. This is put in a small pump action spectacle cleaner bottle and works every time.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  3. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lift up on the wind knob, it should raise up perhaps 1/8" to 3/16" and latch in the up position (you might have to turn it slightly to get it to latch up) that should unlock the mechanism so that you can rewind the film. When your shooting you do have to push down on the little button beside the wind knob each time you start to advance the film to the next frame. Let go of the button once the knob starts turning or it might not stop when it has advanced one frame. Quirky little camera but fun:smile:
    I have a couple of them, they can make some surprisingly sharp vibrant pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
  4. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One thing to be careful of - the lens, if coated, may have a very fragile coating. Be very gentle cleaning it.

I had one of these in the early 70s, the Kodachromes I took with it are still around and pretty damn good, for coming from an odd little camera people like to laugh at.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know that I have ever seen one before where the arm on the front was black.

I had one of these too - it was my first 35mm camera. It was probably left with Kodak for repair, and never claimed.

I often wondered whether it was carved out of a single block of metal.

6. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I try to rewind it latches up and only turls like a half turn and doesnt rewind, im afraid to force it i've broken my fair share of stuff like that :sad:

7. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you using the black knob on the left to rewind with? I think the shutter has to be uncocked to rewind, too. Or maybe press the silver button next to the counter... It's been a long time since I handled one. Black knob turns clockwise to rewind.

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why risk messing it up. Let Mark take care of cleaning the lens.

12. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The other camera is even better. I have one. It's a Yashica Lynx 14 e IC. Mine works perfectly. I use it for street photography all the time.

13. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah the 14e is the shizzle pizzle

Checked the shutter speeds, 50, 100 and 200 are spot on. 25 is iffy, enough to affect exposure and 10 is no-go. B and T are fine thats all I care about. I never shoot less than 50th anyway, anything less than that is on a tripod.

about to put in the test roll, should have results this weekend.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll bet dollars to doughnuts you'll be pleasantly surprised.

16. brian d

brian d Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Let us know how it works out. It might need a CLA if I recall correctly the film turning the sprocket wheel is what actually cocks the shutter and mine were very stiff and hard to turn until they had been worked over. It has been several years since I had messed with mine, guess now I'm going to have to run a few rolls through them :smile: when I did last use one was before I knew about the manual's sight (or APUG for that matter)

17. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of those 35 rangefinders with case. It is in mint condition and still works just fine. This thread prompted me to get it out and play around with it.

Thanks for the memory.

PE

18. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    In case you ever remove the top deck... Leave the WIND knob on deck - the "one-way-wind" mechanism is a difficult re-assembly job that you can avoid, simply by leaving the knob on-deck as you lift the top deck.

Amazing how many heads got cut off on two rolls I just shot with this...

19. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Test roll is in, I figured out how to cock the shutter, it needs film loaded in it.

Halfway through some Gold 200, couple of landscapes, couple of long exposures of Miami skyline at night, the time function is quite useful for this.

So far I'm in love. That Sunny-16 rule has been getting a lot of use though I've been checking it against my Canon 5D d*****l and I've been guessing the exposure correctly within a half-stop. Never had a fully-mechanical camera with no light meter.

20. 2bits

2bits Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good one j-d!

21. thuggins

thuggins Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That black linkage cover is very unusual. Makes it look quite snazzy. It is a real conversation starter, but I find it a bit hard to use. That spiky little focus wheel really chews up the fingers.

22. BrianL

BrianL Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kodak made or imported some really nice cameras. Interesting unorthodox designs seemed to be there thing. 1 of the nicer cameras I had early on was the Pony 135. Simple, very basic engineering with a very decent lens for its time. By today's standards a bit soft and not as contrasty as newer but, really yielded nice results. The lens retracted so it would fit in a pocket. In my home town the news photgraphers turned in their Speed Graphics and were using them.

23. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah, one of the good old battles for the American dollar!

[​IMG]

24. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back from the dead!!!! Test roll came back, ALL cloudy. It's like someone was hotboxing inside my camera :laugh: and I've got it narrowed down to the front lens element. Doing a lens CLA on it as we speak.

25. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Inactive

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Wait they went from 4x5's to 35mm's? That's quite a shift... Was this common?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

26. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Kodak 35 RF is a neat little camera, but why did the Americans and the Soviets make such ugly looking cameras at that time?