1950 Rolleiflex bargain?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Toffle, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an opportunity to purchase a 1950 Rolleiflex Automat (3.5 Tessar lens, Synchro-Compur shutter) in "working order" for $50CDN.
    What do you think?

---edit---
    there is a 35mm film adapter included in the package.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  2. r-brian

r-brian Member

If it's truely in 'working order', then it's a deal. Even at that price, you can afford to have a CLA and still come out ahead.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you can afford it as 'fun money', what is there to lose?

As a principal camera, I'd be more hesitant, but even then, if you don't like it and sell it on, you'll see most or all of your money back.

4. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I alternately use a Nikon N80 and a Bronica GS1 as my main camera, (I can't make up my mind) and I've been waffling over Yashica-Mats on ebay that always seem to be more than I want to pay. I'm thinking that a 50+ year old Rolleiflex is still better than a Yashica half that age.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007
  5. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd disagree with that statement, but then again "better" is a very subjective term when it comes to cameras.

6. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fair enough; I am keeping an eye on a couple of 124s while I'm waiting to see if the Rolleiflex pans out. In truth, I've done a lot more research on those; this Rolleiflex opportunity just fell in my lap today. (I didn't think I'd be able to afford one this summer... kinda broke the piggy bank on a family vacation.) For now, I'm trying to keep an open mind and educating myself as best I can.

Cheers, I appreciate the input.

7. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one from 1953. They are great cameras capable of results as good as any comparable camera. On issue, though, will be the ground glass. The original ones are very dim. Until I replaced it with a modern bright groundglass/fresnel screen, I had trouble using it. In effect, I had to use something similar to a darkcloth.

8. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two Yashicas, a D with Yashinons, and an A with Yashikors. Both excellent cameras. I inherited a Rolleiflex T a few years ago, and spent $200 on a full-through CLA. The Yashicas don't get much use now. Of all the MF gear I have(four different systems), the Rollei gets the most use.

9. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    at the price of 50 dollars canadian I would buy it for living room sculpture. As long as it works you can at least double your money selling it in ebay. You can't afford not to buy it. Then there is the great chance that you will love it and it will change your photographic life. I am a great believer in things that fall in my lap. Life is like that.
    Dennis Purdy

10. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, that didn't work out. I just got an email that it's sold to someone else. It's too bad, I was starting to get my hopes up. I kind of had the feeling that I wasn't the first person in line. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes and ears open. It's not like I don't have gear to work with.

Cheers,

11. luvcameras

luvcameras Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Tom,

Bad luck. But one of my favourite Al Stewart lines is, "If it doesn't come easily, leave it."

Besides: you can now spend more time on taking pictures with the gear you HAVE got.

Cheers,

Roger

13. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom,
    I have a Rolleiflex and I love it dearly. I used to have a Yashica, and as much as I liked the Yashica, it didn't handle nearly as well as the Rollei. As far as sharpness goes, I'm sure you can measure that the Yashinon lenses are every bit as good as the Zeiss Tessars, but tell you what, the prints from the Zeiss looks better to my eye. I can't put my finger on it, there's just something right about them.
    With that said, both are good cameras. I think it's a matter of taste. TLRs are fun to work with, and I believe that in the hands of a good photographer, the difference will not be noteworthy.
    - Thomas

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Not everyone would agree with you, and if you don't like 'em, it doesn't matter which model you try. That's the other side of the same coin.

Cheers,

Roger

15. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input. For $50, I would have worn it for a hat. For now, I'll stick with Roger's advice. There are only so many hours in a day, (and never enough in a night, but that's another story) and I do have plenty of gear to work with.

Cheers,