1980 Tri-x??? Is it worth a try?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mattk, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mattk

mattk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ok, I succumbed to a craigslist impulse (lots of expired 4x5 film but you have to take the color paper). Well boxes of color paper came out first and were loaded into the minivan--then the film. Well, one persons expired is another persons........It turns out the newest film is some 1991 Kodachrome 64. The oldest is some 1978 Kodak Graphic Arts film. I did find an unopened box of Tri-X pan from 1980. Is it worth opening and loading up? I use HC-110--suggestions?

Matt

2. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sure! It should be fine with a bit higher base+fog, depending on how it was stored.

I'd start at normal rates for fresh film or you'll be second guessing yourself all over the place...

3. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's worth an attempt since you're processing for pennies yourself. Would I spend on commercial processing for the stuff? Probably not. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't work out that well is the best advice.

4. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take one sheet, no exposure, develop & fix. See how clear the base is.

5. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've used Kodak Tri-X and Plus-X Pack film that had expired in '78 and '81. The half-used pack that was still in a Graflex pack-film holder had a bit of fog on a few sheets. However the unopened pack films were excellent. I guess it depends on how it's been stored.

6. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I had a whole bunch of tri-X dated 1978. Just finished the last roll a couple of years ago. It was NOT stored in a fridge.It was all good. HC-110 is recommended. I could probably dig up my development times if you need 'em.

Go for it!

7. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is that K64 in 4x5?

8. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A little while ago I had processed a roll of Tri-X that was exposed in 1979, stored in a dresser drawer, and it came out okay. So it's definitely worth giving it a try. I just got a box of similar-vintage Super-XX in 4x5, and haven't given it a try yet. Here's to hoping it's still good.

9. Mark Antony

Mark Antony Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm shooting some 8x10 Ektapan that I couldn't find a date for on the box. Though it didn't work so well with Pyrocat-P it is ok with D-76 so far.

11. mattk

mattk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I tried 6 sheets and they looked plenty useable before drying. I will try to post some scans later tomorrow. I used 6 minutes at Dil. B(68 degrees) on the Jobo. If this works I have about 200 sheets of film and some K64 bulk to try.

Matt

12. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's pretty cool, I ran across a 100 sheet box of Plus-X this weekend in my storage box while looking for an accessory for a camera. I was temped to through it out but after seeing this I'll give it a try to see if it's any good. It is dated 1982, I just forgot I had bought it years ago.

Curt