19th century photo papers

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by zgan, Feb 23, 2007.

1. zgan

zgan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am looking for information on original papers that were used to produce 19th century photographs.Such as,company names that produced it,types of paper,weights of paper or any other information.Any source is ok such as the web,books or periodicals.any help would be greatly appreciated,as I am doing research on this subject
    thanks zgan

2. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Start with the article on Silverprint's website: http://www.silverprint.co.uk/info/yespap.html, it's one of the rare well-researched online pieces on it.

After that, I could only suggest you to look into libraries. Given that you're in Montreal, Concordia, McGill and UQAM would have pretty decent resources together to get you started. To make for an easier start, go to the Grande Bibliothèque and browse through the photography section (dewey numbers 700-ish). There are plenty of history books in it.

I know that McGill has an English edition of Gaston Tissandier's Handbook of Photography, which was written during the collodion era (1874), well before silver gelatin was even a reality! The translation is from 1876, and the neat thing about it is that it contains advertisings (yes, advertisement in books, who knew!) for photographic products. Get it from the Blackader-Lauterman lib, call number TR145 T61.

BTW, what school are you doing this research for? And welcome to APUG from a fellow Montréalais!

3. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. 3Dfan

3Dfan Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
  5. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    British Journal of Photography Almanacs.

Cheers,

R.

7. zgan

zgan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks everyone for the info
    hello to fellow montrealer MHV,the research is not for school but a project I am working on
    thanks again zgan

8. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If you can find an old Ilford Manual of Photography, they have a complete price list and description of all their plates and papers they offered. They also have chemical formulae for all processes with instructions. I have copied one page from my Manual and show it on my web site.

http://www.joelipkaphoto.com/coating_paper.html