19th century processes

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by zgan, Mar 20, 2007.

1. zgan

zgan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you want to reproduce a 19th century photo process such as salt prints or albumen prints.How do you determine what paper to use so it looks and feels like the original
    thanks zgan

2. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I suppose the best thing would be to walk into a store and start fondling the paper with an original in hand. Of course, this doesn't guarantee that the paper will actually work...

That said, I can tell you that for Albumen printing the best choice and most "authentic" feeling paper is Strathmore 500 1-ply Plate.

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You do research to find out what qualities the paper of the time exhibited.
    Most papers of the 19th century were sized with gelatin, but not all. Also, they were generally very light in weight.

4. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is it readily available from the usual suspects, or do you have a tip about a supplier?

5. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Chazzy, there are loads of threads about papers in this forum, so do a little searching and you'll find tons of useful information from the folks here about which papers work and which don't.

Yesterday's Papers, by Martin Reed of Silverprint is a good place to start for historical info. So is Alternative Photography

I've been using Cotman 90gsm paper for kallitype and cyanotype. Bockingford doesn't work for kallitype, at least IME. A friend has had good results with The Langton HP for salties.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2007
  6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The best price I've found on Strathmore 500 1-ply Plate finish for albumen printing has been online at Jerry's Artarama in quantities of 25 sheets or more.