1st pic is not completely on the film in Hasselblad.

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Quinten, Sep 16, 2005.

1. Quinten

Quinten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I shoot a roll of APX100 in my Hasselblad the first picture sometimes misses the film by one half picture. Actually the problem must be me or the camera since I had the same problem with a kodak film.

It's wierd since there is only one way to load a film correctly and the hasselblad winder stops by itselves once the film is fully 'loaded'. Also: I don't think I put to much of the film cover in the emty holder when I load, just enough to grip.

I think it's always teh same amount of picture that misses the film, always about 50%

Any thoughts would be more than welcome.

cheers!
    Quinten

2. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There really isnt, I was loading it wrongly for a month or two after I got mine. Can you describe the loading process, step by step.

3. titrisol

titrisol Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    looks like you have to wind the film a bit more beofre letting the Hassy do it's job :wink:

4. celeborn

celeborn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    line up the arrows

When I first got mine I didn't line up the arrows on the film and the insert. I was surprised how much I had to wind.

5. Joe Symchyshyn

Joe Symchyshyn Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Line up the little arrow head on the insert to the arrows on the film (keep turning the film until the arrows show up. Put the insert in the back and wind away... It's likely the issue.

(If you ask yourself "what arrows?", then it's positively the answer)

joe :smile:

6. Jim Charles

Jim Charles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is exactly what I did the first time I loaded my Hasselblad. The first picture was half cut off. I had no idea you had to wind it so far.

7. gwatson

gwatson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have the same problem with my Mamiya 7. I need to wind the film on past the arrow on the camera back or I lose half the first frame. There is obviously an issue there, but the work-around is so simple, I can't be bothered to investigate further. Thinking back, I think I may have had a similar problem with a Pentax 67. Quite common I guess?

Geoff

8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A common problem with new MF shooters. You're looking for two really big arrows on the film backing that are perpendicular to the direction of film travel. Line these up with the arrows (or some cameras have dots) inside the back, then close the back and wind to frame #1. This only applies to cameras and rollfilm backs with automatic frame counters, not those that rely on the red window.

9. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It doesn't apply to Rolleiflexes with automatic film detection rollers either.

10. Quinten

Quinten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My initial reaction was: "What arrows??".. I'll shoot the remaining frames on my roll today and load a new one while watching for arrows or dots.

It doesn't sound wierd at all actually, since I use very little of the filmcover while loading. So the windig process probably doesn't go far enough to reach the first frame....

Ohh it's all so simple when I think of it.

cheers and many thanks for the tips!
    Quinten

11. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    not all Hassie magazines have an arrow to line up. I have 2: 1 with the arrow, one without. So I wind the leader on the one without the arrow to where I think it should be, put the film holder in the magazine, and on that one open a window in the back and watch arrows and dots go by until "1" shows. Then I'm ready to shoot.

12. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have to ask about the arrows, then I suspect this is very much the problem. You can't miss those arrows.

Art.

13. Quinten

Quinten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I gues this is the result of never reading a book or manual, you sometimes miss the most simple of things...

I've found the 'arrows' on the filmcover but to be honest: I turned one of my two backs upside down and again but there is nothing that looks like it. Can someone indicate where tehy should be?

cheers!
    Quinten

14. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    follow each step carefully, especially sliding the film under the metal strip on figure 35

Attached Files:

15. Quinten

Quinten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whow thanks Fintan, things could not have been explained any clearer!