2 Years Ago This Week - Last Of Kodachrome

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by DF, Dec 23, 2012.

1. DF

DF Member

Can Anyone recall their last day/week with Kodachrome before that "mad rush off" to Dwayne's? This week minus 2years I sprinted to the UPS store to get my 4 rolls in on time. My very last shots were of a billboard here in Chicago of the Beatles in an add for Apple. Time warp. It really felt like a crisis. After that, what lay ahead? How did you fellow filmer's cope?

2. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I remember, my last day was THE last day (officially) I was there at Dwayne's, great memories... Most if the boxes I had shot plus the last rolls I had no mailed. I actually think I may have gone out to shoot more around the town just because I had another hour before they closed lol.. Anyway Dan was there and I had him sign my shirt, along with Dwayn and his son, and put it all on the counter. I actually think I sold 10 of these shots (including original slides) to some other photog. I was so broke I had to sell film and some promised future slides just to get enough gas to get home and food to eat... I was that broke...

[​IMG]

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember, my experience wasn't as intense as Stone's, but I spent 20 bucks to express mail my last roll to meet the deadline.

4. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No rush here, I finished my last roll around October or November and sent it off in good time. My last frame was a green shield bug on a red vine leaf in my garden, which ended up chopped in half.

5. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh no, are we going to have another post mortem ?, accept the facts Kodachrome is dead and isn't coming back.

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which got chopped in half, the bug, the leaf or the last frame? :confused:

Personally, i stopped shooting Kodachrome years ago so it really didn't affect me much... and still doesn't. Sure, its a shame but I miss other things (mostly people) more.

7. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The frame. I just lost the half without the bug in it. It made a nice contrast with the leaf.

8. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It certainly looks that way... *yawn*

9. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Of course it's dead, we all accept that, but nothing wrong with a bit of reminiscence about good times. :D

Although it's a bit scary that it's two years. :sad: ; I'm still working through sorting, scanning and printing of the better of the Kodachromes I took in 2009-2010! Lot of fun doing it, though. :smile:

10. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Me too, still wondering where the OTHER railway man is... The one I met who bought my 10 slides and bought some of my film, who was there. I have his info somewhere in a box. He also worked for the railroad :smile:. Wonder if I have any shots of him... After New Years I will be going scan crazy on my Kodachrome...

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That was the day my daughter was born. I got the T-shirt to commemorate both! Wish the film was still around to enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2012
  12. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    And take pictures of her with.. :sad:

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

13. DF

DF Member

If Kodachrome hadn't gone, I would've never discovered my two main films I use now: Delta 100 & Pan F.
    IOW - I'd never made it into the darkroom. I finally took the plunge after 20+ years of shooting color tranparencies, and nothing else - no understanding of the photographic process, just shooting. So the loss of Big K had it's purpose for me.
    Yes I agree with you all - don't look back. But of course, we can't not look ahead - we're film shooters. Trepidation...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For example, the deleted thread.
    :wink:

16. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Actually my story isn't to dissimilar from yours....

I'm starting to think that the deleted thread is a myth, no one will tell me anything about it and only mention it obscurely like an idea of some kind...

Lol...

~Stone

17. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You had to be there Stone.

18. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first two rolls were my last two rolls. I bought them right after the announcement. Being the wonderful procrastinator that I am, I waited till the last minute to start shooting. So my pictures were of winter in Pittsburgh with a few window-lit portraits of my family. I really didn't know what I was doing. I regret that the film sat in my freezer that summer. Anyway, the film was shipped the week before Christmas and came back in early January.

The slides are still sitting in a box. The scans from Dwayne's were horrible, and I don't have a way to make prints or a scanning target to get accurate colors from my own scans.

So that's my story.

19. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No myth. The deleted thread was not actually deleted- just misplaced. Or to be accurate, releted. Somewhere. We just haven't found it. I think Sean knows, but he ain't sayin'. To actually delete the deleted thread would have a serious mysterious deleterious effect on a comic- I mean cosmic scale (which I guess is used to measure really huge stuff).
    Many members commented; some participated regularly. It predated most participants. I myself personally got drunker'n hell taking it over 3000 posts. Brian revealed an interesting anatomical fact about himself. Sirius of course instigated regularly. PE participated sometimes, giving it a legitimacy it could never have gotten from us lunks. Schroedinger got discussed, with some catty comments and hurt felines. Many puns were uttered- they had groan bad to the point of punishment. All in all, a theater of the absurd, with a bunch of bad actors. The moderators rolled their eyes and moved it around the site, but we always found it. It's rumored Jason Brunner once sprained his eyes from an involuntary roll.

Ironic it's mentioned in a thread about Kodachrome- huh, Sirius?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2012
  20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    31 December.

I agree with lxdude and BrianShaw with the exception of the dreaded two letter troll.

21. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The deleted thread was always much better than the dreaded Kodachome has been deleted thread.

22. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Quibbling Gnome commented once or twice on the deleted thread- but he found it so hairy, there were too many for even him to split. And it is maybe the only long thread without any for-real fights.

23. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The deleted thread- R.I.P.
    (Releting In Perpetuity)

24. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A blast from the past:

25. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yea Dwayne's scans are the worst I'll admit that too :/

~Stone

26. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There's a thread I participated on that I started talking about Schroedinger's cat, or rather Schroedinger's film, proposing a silly idea about film in a box in the sun and whether it was exposed and not exposed at the same time.

That's not the same thread right?

If you subscribe to the thread... Wouldn't you alway know where it went?

I feel like I'm being toyed with haha

~Stone