Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by cliveh, Dec 31, 2011.

1. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Any thoughts on surprising or new photographic revelations that 2012 may bring?

2. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film resurgence overtakes the market and Kodak, Ilford , and Fuji announce expansion plans?

Ok, maybe that's too optimistic.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Kodak as we've know it vanishes. Kodak 2.0 emerges and produces only film materials. Or not.

4. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    PE is hired back at Kodak after a massive shake up, divests the digital arm, and purchases Lomo as a means by which to connect with a younger generation; whilst bear hugging its loyal film shooters by offering full lines of B/W papers (ie Ekatalure to compete against Art 300), begins producing film cameras....

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Kodak ceases to make film, all I can say is that I hope Ilford ends up with the right to produce T-Max. As much as I love Ilford films, Delta is much less to my liking than T-Max.

6. white.elephant

white.elephant Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Clearly nothing is certain when lawyers get involved, least of all common sense. Ilford certainly has the possible capability to continue those products if they were able to secure the rights. But would it make more business sense for Ilford to simply lay back and let the market share that would land at their shores simply happen without needing to do anything except up their production? I agree that their films look very different than Kodak's, and there might be a case made that the world would like both Delta and T-Max, but would the pain outweigh the gain for Ilford? I sure don't know.

7. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think Chrysler wll begin to produce D-SLR's with a HemmieMP ECM that gets 40 frames to the gallon and passes everything but a CVS photo kiosk.

All seriousness aside, probably more of the same, rate of acceleration of events to be determined.

8. Worker 11811

Worker 11811 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think Chrysler will ever produce a digital camera.

They tried once but they had to give up because they coudln't figure out how to make them leak oil.
    :wink: :D

9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YES!!!!!!!!

Well played!

Perhaps the lens could employ a generously lubricated leaf shutter. Hmmmmm... Get's me a'thinkin'.

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jeesh. This thread really proves the need for breathalyzers on keyboards, especially on New Year's ;^)

11. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thinking selfishly, perhaps:

1). That Ilford does well and continues to produce my Hasselblad's two favorite emulsions, PanF Plus and FP4; and
    2). That Kodak's reconstituted form includes the continued production of E100G and E100VS.

Best Wishes in the New Year for all my fellow APUGers!!

Cheers,

BLK

12. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    According to Time magazines article on the 50 best inventions (Nov 28, 2011) a Finnish company has created a technology called Tixels (tactile pixels) that enables users to feel pictures on a screen with the characteristics of wet, dry, rough and smooth.

13. charlief64

charlief64 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe the people at The Impossible Project will rediscover the golden tablets that were given to Polaroid in 1972 by ancient aliens. These tablets were reported to contain the formula for an integral film that contains an opaque coating that protects the developing photo from light. This layer then magically disappears to reveal a bright color image that actually looks like the subject matter. Oh, wait .... those tablets were given to Fuji ..... I guess my beautifully designed, beloved SX 70 will have to stay in storage ....

14. Crashbox

Crashbox Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [PIPEDREAM] Kodak releases T-Max 400 Retro, a tabular-grain emulsion film with the spectral response of EFKE/ADOX 25 films. Resulting sales put Kodak in the black many trimes over. [/PIPEDREAM]

15. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    World War 3 breaks out, and the military demands a large amount of film stock for use when EMP waves render digital imaging useless. The results put Kodak into full scale film production, and people discover that digital sucks. War is peacefully resolved, and film sales remain strong. Then the world spontaneously combusts late December.

16. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like j-dogg made it through this New Year's without needing one. :whistling:

17. walbergb

walbergb Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    2012 is supposedly the end of the world. I can't make up my mind what speed of film to use to film the event:confused: Hope I make a decision before it is too late!

18. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford introduces Delta 50!

19. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ILFORD DELTA 25

Tom

20. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That too. Or a more conventional 25.

And an updated Perceptol with an anti-silvering agent.

21. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Michael,

I'm semi serious about a 25 speed film of modern design as it would make available a distinct technological and aesthetic choice (including 4x5 and 8x10) combined with practical usefulness. I expect though Harman would be concerned at fallout related to Pan F Plus.

Tom

22. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am serious too. The thing about PanF, is that it is even slightly grainier than Delta 100 under most circumstances. So a Delta 50, or especially a Delta 25, would be way less grainy than PanF.

To me Delta 25 would be different enough than PanF (and different than anything else too) to coexist. Then again what do I know about the film business. This is just one of the things on my wish list (and I'd still prefer Delta 50).

Delta 25 contrast would be difficult, but it could still be a very interesting film, and also a much better option for people currently trying to use all those crap document films with poor POTA variants. It would also be the only 25 out there with Ilford quality.

23. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kodak disintegrates, Fuji and Ilford get a little bit more business as a result.

Really, with Kodak being threatened with delisting and preparing for Chapter 11, am I seeing a rosy future? Only if I don't adequately wash my TMax film. I don't see any future for a company trying to "reinvent" itself by being a dollar short and way late in every market it tries to enter. Yeah, so Kodak produces billions of feet of motion picture film a year. But they don't have cash to run the business?

I see an increase of people coating glass plates.

24. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I'd love a 25 ISO colour neg film.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2012
  25. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, Kodak's impending bankruptcy was even discussed in one of today's ZD newsletters.

Seems people figure the digital image patents would be valuable since every cell phone in the world these days appears to have a camera.