2013 Free Lens Lending Library

Discussion in '[Classifieds] For Sale' started by rrankin, Apr 30, 2013.

1. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    [​IMG]

As some of you may know, I annually offer to loan out some of my lenses. If these go, I'll try and put together a second batch. Not pictured is an 18" triplet, just a shiny silver tube with glass, no flange, and about 4.5" in diameter, if any one is interested.

The deal is:

1) you pay shipping both ways (Paypal) (some need insurance as well)
    2) Try not to break it.
    3) Send it back in 2 months
    4) US only due to the potentially long overseas shipping
    5) I reserve the right to say 'no'...

Due to sporadic wrist issues, these will probably arrive dusty, so you'll have to probably do a quick clean.

Also, I have a few (ugly, very ugly) front mount shutters that you can try out under the same rules with a lens.

I have a Luc that will fit #1.
    I have a Luc that will fit #2.
    I have an odd wooden/metal front mount lens that will fit any other lens pictured except the Dallmeyer Stigmatic.

As far as I can tell, the Lucs only have time and open, no instantaneous. The other one just has instant. And it will also double-fire on one push if that would ever be useful for anything.

#4 and #6 will need $150-200 insurance. (I think $200 is the same cost as $150 anyway). And, if you fall in love with the lens, you can buy it.

1) A. Laverne rapid rectilinear, about 9". Has aperture. The tube also comes and can be used for macro types of shots if you want. There is a flange that can be used with or without the tube.

2) B&L petzval, approx 8"

3) 10" petzval. Can be used with or without the accompanying brass tube.

4) Darlot wide angle hemispherical, 5" back focus marked 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. On my 8x10, it appears to cover 8x10. Insurance required both ways.

5) Dallmeyer Stigmatic Series II, No. 5, has aperture

6) Dallmeyer 1a patent rectilinear, approx 5", 8 1/2 x 6 1/2, looks to me like it covers 8x10

2. kintatsu

kintatsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I love this idea. Although I am unable to participate due to my location and equipment issues, I think that this is refreshing. Thanks!

3. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd be interested in #2 if it would swirl on 4x5.

4. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Normally for swirl, you need a length too short for the format, then you move in closer to force the aberrations. I have a 3 1/4" Gundlach Manhattan that you could try. It doesn't thread together very well, but you could just tape it.

Richard

5. Fixcinater

Fixcinater Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ah, I'm fairly new to the 4x5 world (normally use a 8 1/4" Tessar and a 127 Ektar) so thank you for that info. I've yet to try a 3" Wolly projection lens that I got a while back, so I should try that first before borrowing anything.

Thank you for offering these up.

6. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    #1 has been borrowed

7. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    #3 has been borrowed

8. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've always been curious what the draw of these older brass lenses is. I see them go for what seem (to my ignorant mind) to be very high prices. What do they do that newer lenses do not?

9. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Outdated" or "deprecated" lens designs that doesn't meet the perfection that lenses of today require. They do produce a beautifully and aesthetically pleasing image.

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that darlot wide angle rapid rectalinaer is probably my all time favorite lens.

have fun whoever borrows it !

11. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    nicholai, obviously perfection isn't the only tool in the photographer's arsenal. I just wonder what makes these SO special. Shooting with "less perfect" lenses gives you a different look, but what makes these types of lenses so specifically sought-after?

This might be something that needs to be addressed in its own thread, now that I think about it.

12. rrankin

rrankin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You get less contrast with older lenses. You can use lenses like a petzval and force aberrations like swirls in the background. You can use a meniscus lens out of the barrel and get amazing soft, glowing highlights. You can use a rapid rectilinear and get much different tone rendition than a modern coated lens. If you shoot color, your going to get a different palette in the shot. There are plenty of reasons people use them and value them. And, probably, a lot of people are like me, and just value the historical idea of them. To be using a lens that has been is use for over 100 years has its own appeal.

Richard

13. okto

okto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good summary, rrankin. Thanks!
    *runs off to google "how to get petzval swirl"*