210 F9 G-CLARON

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bmac, Apr 11, 2004.

1. bmac

bmac Member

Does ayone have any experience with the 210 F9 G-CLARON? Is the coverage good for 8x10? I have read reports stating both. Are the Clarons' multicoated?

2. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    will cover 8x10 single coated sharp as a tack

lee\c

3. DrPhil

DrPhil Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  4. ken s

ken s Member

I use a 210 G-Claron for copy work and it is very sharp edge to edge on 4x5. Ken

5. bmac

bmac Member

My 210 G-Claron arrived today! Wow, what a difference a newer shutter makes! Both of my other LF lenses are ancient. I'll be drilling and filing out a lensboard tonight and testing it all out. Midwest Photo Exchange was great to work with too.

6. bmac

bmac Member

Was just thinking (an activity that always gets me in trouble)...

Will I need a center filter for this lens on the 8x10?

7. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    NO, there is no problem other that less coverage than you always seem to want. Just remember to stop down to f 32 for good coverage and movement.

lee\c

8. bmac

bmac Member

great, thanks!

9. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

for infinity work, i.e., non macro, you should stop down to at least f22. shouldn't be an issue for the 8x10 with DOF considerations. a good day will be when you only have to stop down to f45!
    My 355 G-claron has marked stops down to f90, I assume your lens does too.

10. bmac

bmac Member

Yeah, I was just talking offline with Sean about that. I am going to start a new photography group.. Club F90... tons of DOF, tons of difraction! LOL

11. Donald Miller

Donald Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Brian,

While I don't have the G Claron. I really like the 210 Dagor that I use on 8X10. That focal length works very nicely in my experience. Good luck to you with your lens. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the G Clarons don't suffer nearly as much from diffraction issues as other lenses. Some years ago, as I recall, they even advocated stopping them down to below F32 for maximum sharpness. I think that is what Lee is alluding to as well.

12. Collin Orthner

Collin Orthner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Repro-Claron 210mm f9

I know I'm a bit late joining in here, but am wondering whether the older Repro-Claron 210mm f9 would have the same coverage as the newer G-Claron? I am looking into moving up to 8x10 and already have this older lens. Any insight will be greatly apreciated.

Cheers, Collin

13. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Still a lens I use on 8X10 even though I've got the hot rod Computar, I still like my G-Claron. Used it today up in the Aspens above Mono lake. 8X10 'dorff. I'll post some of the work on the gallery AS SOON AS I PRINT IN THE DARKROOM FIRST JORGE :>)) No more quick and dirty scans. jg

14. bmac

bmac Member

If the 210 G-Claron were a woman, I'd marry that girl...

I am totally in love with mine. I use it on 4x5 and 8x10 all the time. I loved it so much, I bought her a couple friends (150mm and a 305mm) :smile:

15. Christian Olivet

Christian Olivet Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have the G Claron 210. I used it a lot. My contact prints are as sharp as they get. With 8x10 you get enough coverage at f22 and more if you step further down. If you use tilt, check and double check the corners. I got a little bit tired of vignetting the corners. I decided to switch it for the G-Claron 240mm. which I am actually using.
    There is something very nice about G-Clarons. I don't know how to put it, the word luminosity comes to mind. When I compare it with my Fuji 450mm. it seems evident that they differ on how they render shadows. More luminosity and detail in the G-Claron.
    Another thing of beauty with the G-Clarons becomes very evident when you start getting close to things. You thought that lens was sharp but when you get closer it is so sharp you better wear eye protection.