220 Roll Film Tanks

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Clay2, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been souping my own film since the 1960's, but just 35mm, 127, 120. Now have a medium format camera that takes 220 film.

Are there larger tanks and reels for the twice as long film? Thanks,

/Clay

2. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not processed 220 for some years, but I had a (Paterson or Johnson, probably?) tank with an adjustable reel which was big enough to take either a 220 film or a 36 exp 35mm.

3. K-G

K-G Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used to develop my TXP-320 rolls in Paterson tanks with good result. Today you will have t use C-41 or E6 films and chemistry as all B&W films in 220 size are gone. There may be some leftover TXP-320 rolls in 220 size but they are probably to old and to expensive. Sad , but that's the way it is.

Karl-Gustaf

4. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Paterson and Jobo 2xxx spirals will take a 220 length.

5. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Karl,

Its Kodak Portra 400 B&W, got a five-roll pack that expired June 2004. Sent the first roll out and its still quite good.

/Clay

6. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess I will either send it to Dwane's, or tape 2 Kodak roll-film aprons together and use my colour print tank to hold it. I have my own

wet colour darkroom and used the tank for 11x16 Cibrachrome prints. Geez, Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Cibachrome, and now 220 B&W all

gone! Getting old, ha! Enough to make me coat my own glass plates!

Best regards,

/Clay

7. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning, Clay,

Kinderman made a 220 tank and reel--the usual high-quality stuff. I recall that one was advertised for sale here on APUG fairly recently.

Konical

8. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear Clay,

The problem is nobody makes 220 film anymore.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology limited

9. Steve Goldstein

Steve Goldstein Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H shows 220 Portra color in stock, I just checked. You really have to want it, it sells for a premium over the cost of two 120 rolls. There's no 220 black-and-white still being manufactured anywhere as far as I know. I wish there were, it would relieve the tyranny of the 10-exposure (for 6x7) roll.

If you can find one, Nikor made a tank for 220. I believe the tank is the same one used for 4x5, wider than the standard one for 120/35mm, and they made special stainless reels for 220 that fit the larger-diameter tank. I think I still have a couple of those reels. I should probably sell them while it might still be possible.

You could also send it to Praus Productions in Rochester, NY. That's where I send my E6. He just did some 220 Provia for me a couple of weeks ago, I still have a bunch of past-date rolls in the freezer. He also does C41 and B&W processing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could someone make 220 B&W?

Jeff

11. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure you can still get a 220 Hewes from Freestyle (and I'm sure other places); it fits in a regular stainless tank.

12. Steve Goldstein

Steve Goldstein Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In theory, certainly.

Would the market support it? Sadly, I think the absence of 220 product offerings pretty much answers that one.

It surprises me that Kodak still produces color Portra in 220. There must still be enough film-based wedding photography to support it. I'm actually thinking of laying in a supply even though it commands a premium over two rolls of 120. Changing rolls every 10 shots can be a drag, and being able to carry twice as many exposures in the same volume and similar weight is quite attractive.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  13. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Jobo 1501 reels, and 2502 (and the rare no longer made 2501) will take 220 film.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ambar

Ambar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Would the normal plastic Paterson reels take 220? I use it with both 36 exposure 35mm and crack it up to use the 120 format. I distinctly remember it "fills" all the way with 135/36 but leaves quite a bit of room when using 120......
    If so I might give those 220 Portra a crack at it.
    PS: To the photography gods out there.. WOULD LOVE TO HAVE B&W 220!

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The normal Paterson reels do take 220.

Remember that the 220 Portra requires a C41 process, not the standard black and white process.

17. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a stainless reel for 220, it fits in the same tank as the 120 reel, no problem.

18. Ambar

Ambar Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Matt! I'm aware of the C41.. I just need an simple silly excuse to drive me over the edge and get me into C41.
    Carrying 20 shots (6x7) at a time in my camera does sound VERY appealing.

19. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of the fat stainless tanks and reels for 220, got them just as kodak discontinued that size Tri-x, naturally. These are a larger diameter than regular tanks.

20. Clay2

Clay2 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the heads up Matt! I did not know that the bugger was chromogenic.
    That tears it, it's going to Dwane's. I will stay with Tri-X and Ilford H.P+.
    The good news is I still have a bulk roll of the old Tri-X emulsion in the freezer.
    Kodak has stopped making Microdal-X, but I can brew the original Microdal myself.
    Digital anyone? Ha!

/Clay

21. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The search term you are looking for is "70mm" :smile: I get about 60 frames of 6x7 per roll.

22. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    220 Reels

I have quite a few of the larger 4-1/4" diameter 220 reels.
    Stay away from the smaller 3-3/8" diameter reels, those thinner spiral wires are notorious for trouble.
    For color work I'd definitely stay away from the smaller reels.
    I've developed over a thousand 220 B&W films in acrylic tanks with these reels.

I also have a 6x12 Horseman roll film back (4x5 size) that can take 220 film...

PM me you're interest in a nugget or two, I'm cutting back on my shooting...

Reinhold

Attached Files:

23. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have some of the larger size 220 stainless steel reels and tanks as well. The space between the spirals is the same as a 120 reel. I could never get the 3 inch 220 reels to work. Always got untracked. I wish they made b&w 220 still but that is a dead horse.

Dennis

24. Reinhold

Reinhold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few years ago I started a project for splicing 1-1/2 strips of 120 film and attaching it to salvaged 120 film wrappers.
    I would get two 220 rolls from three 120 rolls.
    A 102" long x 3" wide splicing table, infrared night vision goggles, some tape, and a cut down 120 wrapper was all It would take.
    I still have the drawings on where to make the splices...

About that time my life's activities changed so the project went onto indefinite hold.

But I'm still grouched about Ilford cutting off my cherished film format.
    It's ok Simon, I've (sort of) gotten over it.
    But if you would market bulk rolls of slit 120 film, some of us would still like to roll our own...

Reinhold

25. OzJohn

OzJohn Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Unless I'm missing something wouldn't this give you 1.5 times the exposures of 120 not twice the number as with 220?

BTW although it is possible to develop 220 film in Paterson reels they don't appear to have been designed with that in mind. Unless the lead and tail ends are trimmed, it is impossible to fit a 220 film entirely within the spiral groove - there will be a few inches that need to be left curled around the outside of the reel. OzJohn

26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The System 4 tanks list 220 as one of the sizes compatible with the reels.

And I regularly load two 120 films on a single reel without problems.