240 f9 g-claron.

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mark, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mark

mark Member

will it really cover 8x10? The specs say no; threads here say yes. Which is it?

How do these handle color?

2. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It depends on how much loss of quality you'll accept and still say it covers. It won't meet Schneider's MTF requirement at 8x10, which is why they say it won't cover. Their requirements are very high, though. The people I know who actually use it, including me, think it covers about 80* at f45, which gives it coverage to spare. So if you're taking regular pictures, you'll be fine. If your shooting test charts, you'll have a drop off of quality at the extreme edges. I also use a 210 g-claron on my 8x10. For what I do, it covers 8x10. The G-claron is basically a modern dagor.

The only way for you to really answer your question is to get a lens and test it. They really aren't all that expensive. If you pay shipping, I could lend you one in a barrel if you promise to treat it well and send it back promptly.

3. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about color because I only shoot black and white, but the 240 G-Clarons do cover 8x10 nicely. Stopped down to about f/32-45 there is room for a fair amount of movements. It's a nice lens.

Richard Wasserman

4. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mark,

As far as I know, all the G Clarons are only single coated lenses. So consider this for their color reproduction. But others can comment better about how they reproduce color.

Rich

5. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Other than increasing flare somewhat, why would a single coating change the color reproduction of the lens?

6. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter,

I can not say for sure, but others have tended to suggest that single coated lenses often do not produce as good color as multicoated lenses. Here is a case for someone like Kerry to step in and make some comment. They should probably be better shielded from possible flare as you mention.

Rich

7. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

It'll cover and cover well. Very sharp corner to corner with plenty of movements available, even more if you stop it down.

I have a 240 g-claron which I use on an 8x10 Deardorff and it is so.

8. Troy Ammons

Troy Ammons Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Coverage is fine. So is the color.
    Mine is as sharp at F9 as F22.

Its a very sharp lens. I have 2 G-Claron lenses and if they made a 90mm lens I would have 3.

9. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Put me down for another user of the 240 f9. Plenty of coverage, small, light, wonderful lens. Don't shoot much e6 in 8x10, but if you're worried about color, you could do much worse than one of these. Just do it! tim

10. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I've shot 8x10 color with my 240 G-Claron and it works great! I don't have any scans of that particular shot, though if you're interested, pm me here and I can see about scanning it and posting a link to it here.

11. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Similar to the experience of others, my 240 G-Claron covers my 8x10 just fine. But, there might be 8x10s larger than mine. :wink:

12. mark

mark Member

Thanks guys. I pushed the buy it now button last night and am just waiting for the guy to contact me. Hope I did not pay too much. Was $350US too high or is that somewhat average.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Was it already mounted in a shutter with an accurate aperture scale? If so then that sounds like a good price. If it was in barrel then that sounds a bit too high in comparison to the price recently paid for brand new 240 Germinars here on Apug.

14. mark

mark Member

In a shutter with aperature scale.

15. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey can anyone post a scan of the aperature scale for a 240 G-claron in a copal#1?

Mine doesnt have a scale =[

16. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    No, but you can buy one from SK Grimes relatively cheaply.

17. Troy Ammons

Troy Ammons Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here are some reduced shots and crops drumscaned at 2000 dpi.
    G-Claron 240mm at around F22 I think.

Also this was with a 8x10 Cambo SC which is not the squarest or stiffest camera in the world. Actually its pretty medeochre IMO.

Kodak E100S and Efke 25. Howtek 4500.

The Efke crop is an underexposed test shot.

With the fountain shot the upper corner trees were tilted out of focus. i should have just stopped down and shot, so the upper corners are not indicative of lens sharpness. Check the lower corners on that one.

All are unsharpened.

http://www.pbase.com/tammons/8x10_film

18. cdholden

cdholden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does 210 G Claron share the same focus scale as 240 G Claron?

If it's the same as a 210 G-Claron (also f9), I could snap a photo for you. There's no flat planed scale to scan on mine for the top. I only have scales mounted on the sides of my shutter.
    Chris

19. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

Mark,

Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy that G-Claron as much as I like mine. It is a great lens for 8x10.

20. Frank F

Frank F Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    WHat scale is on your shutter? 210?

There is precisely a 1/3 stop "spacing" between the 210, 240, 270, and 305mm FL. The way to use this information .....

If your shutter was calibrated for a 210 lens and you want to use a 240, then F11 as indicated is really F11 + 1/3. F11+ 1/3 = F11 +2/3 and FF11 + 2/3 = F16. Does this help you?

Frank

21. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I papaid $400 for mine and thought I got a good deal.

22. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Frank You are a gold mine.....Thanks, I have been needing the same info and have waited to pick up an extra Copal #1, but wanted to use the 240 on the same shutter the 210 was on. Now to make a quick reference and change the lens cells.

Cool!!

23. cloudswimmer

cloudswimmer Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I paid 425.00 for mine in mint condition from Midwest photo for what its worth