24mm Joy!

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by bliorg, Sep 1, 2010.

1. bliorg

bliorg Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi, all -

A new-to-me Nikkormat and 24/2.8 arrived late last week. Spent some time messing with the 24 to fix the loose focus ring, but ultimately decided I'd better test it first to see if it was worth the effort.

Now, I've wanted a 24 since I was new to photography, reading John Shaw books. And the I got the Nikkormat only because the 24 was so accessible. So, I bought into a new system.

Boy, am I glad I did.

Took the camera out this morning through a few favorite haunts in Birdsboro, PA. Light was a bit harsh, but I went anyway. These are all between f/5.6 and f/16.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The camera's a beaut. Meter seems about right, maybe over exposing a half stop or so, but I'm using a 1.4V battery, so that might be the issue. Easy enough to fix. The ergonomics are so nice that I'm actually pondering selling my M42 gear. This camera is that nice to use.

The 24/2.8 is probably the sharpest 35mm lens I've ever owned, surpassing my beloved Canon 28mm EF. Just brutally sharp. I love it. The perspective is intuitive, and absolutely fun. Requires a little attention to keep shadows out of the frame, but I'm loving it.

The film was Rite Aid 200, developed and scanned at CVS. Last couple times I went to CVS, the scans were horrible. I commented to that effect to the 20 yr-old tech today, and he gave me the best scanning I've ever gotten from a lab. For $5 total. I'm a happy camper.

One sad note, though: The 200+ foot tall water tower in Birdsboro, that's been a favorite subject for years and has stood over the town for an extremely long time, has apparently been demo'ed. It's gone. I'm truly bummed about it, too. But considering how much fun I had with the Nikkormat and the 24, I think I'll survive. :cool:

Thanks for looking.
    Scott

2. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a pair of Nikkormat FTN's from a local Craigslister, and I know what you mean about the feel and operation of the camera. I use F2 when shooting 35mm, but I really like these. When I was in school in the early 70's, a lot of my friends preferred the Nikkormat over the F for the ergonomics you mention, even though the ground glass framing is more accurate on the F. And the 24 is a sweet lens. I picked one up with the 2 Nikkormats, and have another I've had for years.

BTW - your message suggests that you posted images, but I don't see any. ??
    Anyone else have trouble seeing them?
    This isn't the first time I've had this problem since the new site upgrade.
    And, yes, I'm logged in.

3. bliorg

bliorg Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi, George-

The images are inline within the post. Show up fine on my computer - maybe they need a while to load? Dunno.

Scott

4. stillsilver

stillsilver Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First the 24, then a 20. GAS will strike again.

Mike

5. WetMogwai

WetMogwai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those old Nikon lenses are great. I just got a Nikkormat because it came with a 50mm f/1.4, a Vivitar 200mm prime, a 2x tele extender, and a reversal ring for the 50 all for far less than half of what keh.com sells the 50 for. I can't get the battery cover open, so it is all manual. I threw some cheap color film in it. I've never been so impressed by color negative film before. I realized that it was the lenses for my Canon EOS system, not the film or the process that always made me not like color negatives.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 24 and a 17 which I use all the time. I love wide angle lenses.

Jeff

7. photoncatcher

photoncatcher Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yeah Jeff, I'm atotal wide angle slut. If I ever win the lottery, or a rich unknown relative dies and leaves me his, or her fortune, My heart is set on the 37mm for my rb67.

8. paulfish4570

paulfish4570 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  9. (AL)

(AL) Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ah yes, another soul lost to the 'wide side'! I discovered long ago that a 24mm and a 90mm were my favorite primes. Congrats on getting the Nikkormat along with the 24mm Nikkor. The Nikkormats are in a class of their own.

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You too! I have a RB67 also, I would love to have a 37mm for it. Right now all I got is the 50mm.(I also have the 90 and the 180)

Jeff

11. bliorg

bliorg Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for your comments, everyone! I appreciate them.

I've long wanted a 24, but 28 was the widest I could afford (EOS). Now, with the older manual setup, it was easily within reach. I only wish I'd gone Nikon from the start.

Renaissance Fair is this weekend - going to bring this kit with. Can't wait!
    Scott

12. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 24mm and the 20mm are some of my favorite lens.

13. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can't get the battery cover open,...

Robert - sorry if you know this, but the battery cover unscrews clockwise, unlike everything else in the universe, and has an arrow to help. It took me awhile to realize this.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Joe Brugger

Joe Brugger Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    24/2.8 AI is a lovely lens, easy to handle. now, borrow a 20/3.5 Ais and see what that can do for you. :wink:

16. andrewkirkby

andrewkirkby Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think 24mm may just be the perfect wide angle lens for 35mm cameras.

20/21mm is too wide for a lot of applications and leads to boring compositions unless one can get up really close. 28mm is a bit too "normal" but 24mm just fits the right amount of things in without harshly distorting perspective.

I am yet to use my Nikon 24mm Ai-S (2.8) but it will definitely get a workout in Nepal later this year.

17. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I agree, absolutely. My (Canon) TS-E 24mm f3.5L (MF) has been my unfailing favourite since 1996. Prior to that, I used 20mm.

18. bliorg

bliorg Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, I used a 28 as a normal lens on EOS for years. The 24 is just what I wanted for a new perspective, without being too extreme.

I also picked up (and today received) a 55/2.8 Micro for $30 to use as a "normal" normal lens. Between the two, I think I'm covered for a while!

19. photoncatcher

photoncatcher Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Jeff. The 50mm is a sweet lens. Back in the 70s when I bought my first rb, there was no way in hell I could afford any other lens than the 127mm that came with it. Not on an Airmans pay. Luckily these days this equipment goes for pennies on the dollar. I only paid $100 for my 50mm. It rarely comes off the body. I also have the 180, and 250mm.

20. bliorg

bliorg Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yeah - what's up with that, anyway??? :confused:

21. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Half turn in the direction of the arrow and let it drop.

22. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    24mm is the widest lens that avoids edge distortions, especially if used untilted. Just remember to get in real close.

23. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My usual kit includes 24, 50 and 135mm lenses, but I frequently use only the 24. I have the Canon nFD 24mm f/1.4 and the Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 24mm f/2.8, plus the 35mm for Mamiya 645. I have wide zooms, but don't use them much anymore. I recently picked up a Canon nFD 17mm, though I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

24. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Currently have both a 20mm f/3.5 Nikkor-UD that I got last fall and a 24mm f/2.8 late model factory AI'd Nikkor that came with my F2AS. Both lenses are great. Another nice lens is the 35mm f/2 Nikkor-O.

Anyway, welcome to the world of Nikkormat/Nikomat cameras. Nice shots, btw.

-J

25. WetMogwai

WetMogwai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I noticed that later. That was probably the entire problem. Of course, once I got it open I found that it took a battery that I didn't have. I thought it was probably the same as the FG. Of course it was a holiday weekend, so I still had no meter. At least I'm on my way to solving the problem now.

26. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you don't mind compensating by about 2/3 of a stop you can get away with using an o-ring around an S76 or #357 battery in a Nikkormat FT or FTn that hasn't been recalibrated yet. I've done that before.

I'd planned to retrofit a Nikkormat FT2/FT3 battery box into my black FTn, but gave up on the camera when I realized that it needed more work than I wanted to put into it. So, I have my old black FT2, which is essentially the same camera, just with a hot shoe and with the later style battery box preinstalled.

-J