2nd offer on Mamiya 7 - ???

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Matus Kalisky, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Matus Kalisky

Matus Kalisky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope this kind of topic is allowed here - I have no experience yet on this type of questions, so I apologize before hand if it is not.

So - There are an auction for Mamiya7 with 80mm lens on ebay - seller with 0 feedback from Thailand. Went only to some 490 (euro equivalent, 11 different bidders tried their luck). I was not the highest bidder, even though one should be probably safe with PayPal (as a buyer) so yes - I was bidding too.

Now - just some 8 hours later I got the camera offered from the seller (via ebay) for the heigh of my bid which was ca 450. I have sent him a question as why is that, but I would like to ask what do you think? Is that a fraud? Should I give it a try? Sounds too good to be true ...

Strange is - the ebay offer came via Italian branch ...

The auction ID: 320548237207

2. Denis P.

Denis P. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The general rule, as everywhere, is that if it sounds too good to be true, then it isn't :smile:

3. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Find another one to bid on and buy!

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Similar scams have been written up here and the LF Forum. They are very common. Use great caution. I would avoid it all together, but it is your choice. For that matter I avoid purchase from anyone with less than 100 sales and 100% positive feedback.

My thinking is based on 836 feedback 100% positive.
    Just my opinion.

John Powers

5. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It could be true as the highest bidder may have defaulted and in which case the next lowest bidder is contacted to see if they want it at their price?

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, theoretically it could. But the seller has ZERO feedback and ZERO other items for sale and ZERO buy history. Other than that and the fact that most 2nd offers are bogus, the ad sure looks like a legit seller.

7. dbonamo

dbonamo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Interesting that all the bids are set to private. I know ebay no longer shows who is bidding but this seller took it a step further and set it to private, you cannot tell how many different people actually bid.

Another thing that happens alot, and has happen to me, is the buyer well shill bid and sometimes he outbids the highest person so he/she ends up being the winner so he does a 2nd chance offer very shortly to the next highest bidder.

"the ebay offer came via Italian branch ..."

not sure what you mean here, but if someone is Italy making a 2nd chance offer to you for someone in Thailand, that throws alot of red flags.....

Do not always count on Paypal or eBay buyer protection when it comes to international sales even though they claim your safe...

Also user has only been registered since April 2010 and this is there first eBay experience as a seller or buyer under the ID.

If I was you I would pass on it...

8. dbonamo

dbonamo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Also could be the seller was shill bidding and ended up being the winner of his own auction also.

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    SCAM! Run--don't walk--away from this one. It's an old trap. Don't fall for it. Wait for another from a legit seller with credible feedback from buying/selling hi-end photo gear.

10. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I stand corrected run rather than walk away then!!!! Avoid like the plague!

11. MFstooges

MFstooges Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There was news of 2nd chance scam where the scammer hijack an ebay account of a legit seller and send 2nd chance offer. The buyer wasn't really paying attention to the red flag: seller advise payment by wire TT.

These days I don't really care for 100% positive feedback since so many rude and dumb buyer more than happy to give negs over nothing.
    My advise is to check the return policy (I didn't see details on the ad) and if item is cheap I'll rely on paypal protection. But for international trade you'll also have to calculate your cost to ship back in case you have to return.

Nathan

12. Matus Kalisky

Matus Kalisky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see I see, I get the picture :smile:

Thank you - you have confirmed my mixed impressions. I will keep my fingers away.