2x Teleconverter for Nikon MF

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Mike Kennedy, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been thinking of adding one to my arsenal.I realize the downside of doubling my lenses but a lighter kit is my goal.Suggestions please.
    Remember:tongue:rice IS an object.

Thanks

2. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess a 1.4x would also work.

JMK

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Get the x1.4 converter. Nikon never made a good x2.0 in my opinion.

4. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Nikon TC-14A 1.4X, that I use with great results.

5. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

And bear in mind that any tele will reduce your light reaching the film by lengthening your focal length. So, unless you have TTL metering you will need a light meter or have t guesstimate your exposure adjustments.

6. Phormula

Phormula Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought a mint used Tamron AF 2X one (the one with 7 elements) for something like 25 Euros in a camera shop. It does not make wonders, but it does the job when needed.

7. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Vivitar 2x "macro-focusing" teleconverter and the Kiron 2x teleconverter, are both high quality 7 element designs and very good. Under $40.00

Kiron Kid

8. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had gotten a Vivitar Matched Converter for my XG-M's a few years ago. All in all I am happy with the performance of Vivtar products I have used.

9. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    We really need to know what lens(es) you are planning on using with the teleconverter.

The TC-14 (1.4x) is considered standard (with only 1 stop loss in speed) if you are looking to extend a 300 to 420 and has worked well with the 300's I've owned.

The TC 200 (2x with two stop loss) works well enough with the mid range teles. I've used it with a 300 but its pretty obviously not as sharp and contrasty as the equivelent prime focal length lenses.

I wouldn't put a third party converter behind a Nikon lens or a Nikon converter behind a third party lens. The converters are engineered to work best with lenses by the same manufacturer.

In some cases, like the Vivitars of the 1980s, the converters are specifically matched to specific lenses or specific lines of lenses.

You should be able to find the Nikon TCs under $125 each on the auction site and sometime KEH-BGN. There are no moving parts in them to get out of adjustment except for the AI meter linkage - which is easily fixed.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2009
  10. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Now, not all converters from Nikon are bad. My TC-301 works very well within its limitations on my longer glass as does my TC-14b. After a long while of hearing how Awful the shorter lens TC-201 is I got one, and when I tested it on *medium* length lenses I was very surprised at the quality of the images. With the 105mm 2.5 Ais it was astonishingly good, especially from (lens set) 5.6 on. Maybe not as perfect as say a 180mm ED but very very good and usable. Made me consider that maybe Nikon optimized this TC for that particular lens, and considering how many 105's they make, I may be right. The same converter on the 180 ED Ais was nearly as good, and certainly very useful in certain situations, making a decent compact long lens. Try it!. I'm still looking for the right deal on a TC-14A.