2x3 film availability

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by davet, Jul 12, 2005.

1. davet

davet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi folks,

Are there any color films available in 2x3? There are times when the baby Technika would be usefully smaller/quicker (with the RF) than the Shen Hao, but not if I include the Super Rollex RFH, which weighs a ton, not to mention the GG/RFH shuffle (if you're using the GG). I know about J&C for B/W, but I can't find anything in color, and I'm not really set up to cut down a larger sheet.

2. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hmmm, not a good sign...

I just thought of this question today, searched, didn't find anything, and came here to post a question, only to find Davet's question already posted.

I haven't tried yet, but I wonder if 120/220 film can be cut down. If it's truly 61.5 mm wide, this is 2.42" and I don't know (yet) if it fits. I can find out when I get home.

Oh, wait, I see this question was just posted. I thought it was 2004, but that was Davet's join date.

OK, I feel better there aren't alot of answers yet.

3. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't think so, it's pretty narrower from what I recall. Plus, it's definitely thinner: a party for planity problems.

4. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Best would be to cut 5x7 into 4 pieces. Check the measurements out before you buy the film but I think that works. Considering how little colour is sold in 5x7 I wouldn't be too hopefull for 2x3.

Is the Tech 2x3? Or 6.5x9?

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Good question, and I suppose it all depends on the back. But 6.5x9cm is the "standard metric" size, used on old folders like the VAG.

I have a funny little "ARCAP" Combination Double Film Holder here, the packaging claims it "will hold two films of any of the following sizes: 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, 2 1/2 x 3 1/2, 6.5 x 9 cm, and 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 plates".

I suppose it works - haven't got round to trying it on a camera yet.

6. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not seen any color film in the 2x3 size. I use an Adapt-A-Roll for in my Busch Pressman C and have been happy with it. It doesn't weigh all that much and doesn't add a lot of bulk, certainly no more than carrying several 2x3 sheet film holders would anyway. Having said that, if you do find color 2x3 sheet film please let me know :smile:
    Nathan

7. davet

davet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good question, I've only ever used the Super Rollex with it (when I got it, even BW was hard to find in 2x3/6x9) I've a manual somewhere, maybe it'll resurface one day ... anyway, I've only 2 real beefs (beeves?) with the SR back: it makes the kit heavy enough that you might as well carry a larger format, and the GG/RFH thing is distinctly clunky.

8. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 2 Graflex rollfim holders (6X9) for my 2X3 Mini Speed and 2 to fit my 4X5 cameras. I haven't seen 2X3 color film is a long, long, looooong time! :smile:

9. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    "beeves" - I like that. That's better than beefuses...I'll stop using that term.

220 Agfa sample I grabbed (no reason it would be any different) was WAY too wide to fit 2-1/4x3-1/4 holder, eyeball 3-4 mm too wide. I suppose two cuts aren't much worse than 1 if you have a sharp tool.

I bought some recently outdated 4x5 Ektachrome 64 on eBay to play with (cause I can't afford to play with the fresh stuff), and considered it to cut down too. I have 2 rolls of Agfa 160 in 220 left; I finally learned to stop trying to plug light leaks in 120 cameras. It was fun while it lasted in a Moskva V with the 6x6 mask further masked down to 645...got about 27 exposures hand counting turns, just too many leaks.

Next question is whether a lab can handle 2x3 color without clogging the machine...is this where a so-called 'dip & dunk' lab is desirable? I don't know exactly what's meant by that.

I found no color in the list of various brands at J&C, which was where I thought it might turn up, if anywhere.

10. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    How would you develop it? (Nobody else would) Sounds like a royal pain in the butt to me. Rollfilm is such an elegant solution. Better enjoy it while it's still here. I bought a bunch of Type J single sheet holders for the Mamiya one time. Shot half a dozen. Figured out they don't fit into anything for development (Jobo 2500 series) and they're in the freezer to this day. I need to put those holders on feebay.

11. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I have a mental block about developing color..I don't see myself every trying that, so I'll have to rethink doing that! I think it was more about doing it becasue it was possible, without considering the consequences...

12. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I can't even understand what I said in my last reply.

I think I will avoid cutting down color film to 2x3 unless the local folks are so eager to do it for me I can't refuse...you never know. Thanks for the reality check.

13. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

What size Jim? The normal 4x5 reels for the 2500 tank handle 6.5x9. It's the smallest size they close to. Now 2x3 is a problem.

If it's 2x3 you're a bit out of luck. Jobo used to make a 2x3 reel 2518. But from what I understand they would just take the 2509N and hand work it so it could handle 2x3.

14. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you want shoot with your SFH your only option, other than cutting film down, may be shooting color separations. It is quite possible to do with static subjects but it would require registration equipment and very precise development control.

Those roll film holders seem to be the best option for someone that is not going to do his own developing,

15. jimgalli

jimgalli Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It was 2X3.

16. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I think thr rb 67 can shoot 2 x 3 sheet film and holders were made for it and a back etc. I have never seen one but would be interested

17. davet

davet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So it would seem. Maybe I'll get a couple of SFHs anyway for BW (mostly what I shoot) and leave the color in the SR. I don't think they make a Rapid Rollex for the baby Tech, and even if they did it would 1) be magnificently carved out of spare battleship bits and weigh as much, and 2) cost a fortune. Color separation, BTW, is right out of it. The Super Rollex is clunky enough.

18. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    My local lab uses some sort of Jobo tube processor for push processing C41 & thought between that and an adjustable reel they should be able to do 2x3 color cut down from large sheets or 120 film.

And, yes, it probably is too much work for most reasonable rational people. That said, I think I'll give it a try. It takes me forEVER to finish a 36 exposure 35mm roll. 24 is I guess a 'blessing' in that respect.
    8 shots of 6x9 on a roll of 120 helps too, but I think in my own warped way one sheet at a time is something that will help me. 16 at 6 x 4.5 is nice but gets into that problem (for me) of rushing the roll to finish it. Someone said one good shot per roll is OK, but I think I'd like one good shot per sheet film holder :O)...a good goal to 'shoot' for.

Anyway, I have some Agfa Portra 160 220 rolls left from another masochistic project of trying to blindfold all the light leaks in a Moskva and hand count exposures...fun, but not too productive...

19. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Isn't that equivalent? I mean: it's not exactly "2x3", it's something like 2 and 1/2 times 3 and 1/4 (I don't recall it exactly right now). Shouldn't it be the same in centimeters?

20. Murray@uptowngallery

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I read that nominal '2x3', assuming 2-1/4 x 3-1/4, which sounds pretty precise, is actually 56x82 mm. 2.25*25.4=57.2mm, and I think I measured somewhere between 57 and 58 mm between vertical rails in a filmholder. 56 sounded like a believable fit. I can't measure the other dimension because the other end of the FH doesn't open, but I can take 82 mm for granted now.

I also see why the 120 film didn't fit. Before I tried, it all seemed nominal and equivalent to me.