3-volt Lithium Battery Okay in Minolta XG-M?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by FilmOnly, Mar 2, 2010.

1. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After regretting selling my Minolta XG-M, I am considering buying another. I have some new 3v lithium batteries on hand. I see the XG-M owner's manual mentions two 1.5- or 1.55-volt batteries. Are the 3-volt lithiums also accepatable, or will they somehow present problems? Personally, I never understood how there could be a difference, but some say there is. I know that zuiko.com says to use only 1.5v silver oxides in the OM series. Anyway, this is a Minolta, not an Olympus...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2010
  2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used 3V lithiums in several brands of cameras with no noticeable change in operation.

3. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    if it fits it will work. Camera doesn't know that they are not separate batteries, it only wants 3 volts.

4. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi filmonly.i'm thinking of buying an XGM myself.may i know why u regretted selling yours?is it an excellent camera?

5. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, the 3V lithium batteries will work, and what's more, they will last longer! In one of the later Minolta manuals it even suggests to use the 3V lithium.

Jed

6. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Many of the older cameras don't mention lithium batteries because they simply didn't exist then. They will work fine, most newer cameras list the 2 1.5 vdc or a 3 vdc lithium.

7. FilmOnly

FilmOnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I actually had two Minolta XG-Ms, and ended up selling both (to fund another purchase). I regret this because the XG-M is an excellent (and underrated), dirt-cheap camera. MC and MD lenses are equally nice. Many will say the X-570 is better because it shows the selected shutter speed in the finder...however, this speed is identified with a blinking light, and for me, a blinking light is a distraction. I have never needed to have the selected shutter speed in the finder, as I simply look at the speed dial. It has never been an issue for me (I use a Sekonic light meter 99% of the time anyway).

The XG-M seems to have better build (less plastic) than the X-700 or X-570. I highly recommend the XG-M. It is my favorite Minolta camera. If I had not bought an F3 yesterday, I would have purchased an XG-M. I like the accessories that go along with the F3, and the availability of parts, etc. for it. It is a much more expensive camera, though.

At some point, I may add an XG-M.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
  8. Focus No. 9

Focus No. 9 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i'm glad this came up. i bought a camera and it was dead..i read the instructions online and the cam took two 1.5v batts. So opened up the batt cave and a 3v was in it. Now i have to find out if the 3v is cheaper than two 1.5's. :tongue: (not sure what :tongue: means but it looks cool)

9. bdilgard

bdilgard Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My XG-M was the only SLR I owned since buying it new while in college until I joined APUG. For some reason joining APUG caused me to start forming G.A.S. so it is not alone anymore. Its been used and abused and dunked in beer (ok that required a CLA afterwards) but keeps on working fine. Thanks for the battery tip, had not thought of that.

10. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some camera makers specifically EXCLUDE lithium batteries, even if the original requirements state silver oxide or alkaline manganese...Bronica is one example. They state "The performance of lithiums vary greatly, as there are several types. They can be engineered for high amp draw, and lower shelf life; or low amp draw, but longer shelf life. They have the potential for the highest energy density per volume of any low cost cell, but the trade off has been made, in "consumer" applications, for long shelf life. This allows these cells to be terrific for hearing aids, and pacemakers....but poor for an intermittent high amp draw requirement like a Bronica", and then specifically state "forget it" for both the SQ and GS-1 models, while the ETRS is "OK" for lithium.

11. altair

altair Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    FilmOnly: Thanks so much for the info..now I can't wait for my XGM to arrive in the mail :tongue:

bdilgard: Joining APUG has been known to have that effect on people :D

12. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Odd! Mamiya recommended against lithium for years in their 645's but now claim they are fine just overkill as reg batteries work just as good.

13. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just had a look in the Hove book "Complete Bronica Systems" and it quotes the use of a 6v silver oxide Px28 or lithium Px28L equivalent for the GS-1 as well as the ETRSi, so maybe the thinking has changed over time? I've only got SQ models though, so can't comment from experience of the others.

14. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Olympus recommended for the OM-4 to not use lithium either. OM-4 is powered with two 1.5 volt silver oxide SR44, V76, 357 cells...but use of a 3 volt 1/3N lithium cell is not recommended

15. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My ETRSi original manual mentioned nothing about lithiums. I would trust Tamron (who bought Bronica after I purchased my two ETRSi bodies) http://www.tamron.com/bronica/batteries.asp more than I would trust a Hove books publication about the same product!

16. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I suspect the reason why Olympus recommended not using the lithiums was due to them being exactly 3 volts, whereas two V76PX's provide 3.1 volts. If they also say that the alkaline LR44 batteries aren't recommended, then, I'd stick with the silver-oxides.

With all my Nikon bodies that take two V76PX's, I've found that they're all reliable with a CR 1/3N in place of said batteries. Even my very early F2 Photomic was fine with one installed in it. As was another even earlier F2 Photomic that I had as a loaner camera for a while. The only camera that I still use the V76PX's in for meter usage is my FT2, of course. That, and the MF-16 databack on my FM2n requires them. The other bodies that don't use the CR 1/3N are my Nikomat FTn's (one of which still uses the original style PX13 mercury - the other has been updated to use the Exell S625PX), and my F Photomic FTn, which, like the updated Nikomat FTn, uses the S625PX batteries.

So, with respect to the XG-M, if Minolta says it's ok to use the LR44 batteries in it, go ahead and pop a CR 1/3N in there.

-J