30mm Arsat / ARAX lens?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mikeklensch, Nov 21, 2006.

1. mikeklensch

mikeklensch Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Greetings all,

I was wondering if any here have any experience using the 30mm Arsat / ARAX lens, and if there are any opinions about quality... especially wide open. I'm considering getting one for my Mamiya 645, and I intend to use it for aurora/night photography, and as a result, would want to shoot with it wide open. But I wonder how bad the aberrations are... especially coma which will show distictly in the stars.

Thanks for any feedback.

Mike

2. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of these lenses that I shoot on my Arax MLU 88CM. It is a Multi-Coated Fisheye Lens and it performs surprisingly well - for the price. I have not tested it for coma.

3. Summicron

Summicron Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike -- I have used both the multi-coated and the coated versions of the 30mm Arsat, and, surprisingly, the normally coated lens was sharper than the multi-coated one. I assumed it was a matter of sample variations, which can be pretty wide with the Russian (or Ukrainian) equipment. Both, though, were very, very good lenses.

4. mikeklensch

mikeklensch Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you both for the replies and your experiences. I think I'll probably take the plunge and look to get one. Now the only question is from which vendor... there is "DVD Technik", "ARAX" and "Kiev". With the variability in quality, I just hope I get lucky and get a good one.

Cheers,
    Mike

5. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had good luck buying from both "Kiev" (Mike in Georgia) and ARAX in Kiev.