35 foot camera...6 foot high negatives. WOW

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Colin Corneau, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Whoa a local guy!!!! I need to pay a visit!!

3. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Dave R.

Dave R. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Now that's Large Format!

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wonder if the camera can be hand held?

Jeff

6. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wonder where he gets the film? Also wonder how it's processed. All very interesting, but not very practical for most of us.

7. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    there's a 2 pager in "chicago social" magazine...he lives just over the river from me...

oh AND he needs 8 million bucks to do his project. Channel 11 is thinking of sponsoring him so they can do a documentary of the project.

8. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    With respect, that link didn't add very much and the guy's a foul mouthed jerk, to boot.

This is an incredible amount of work and dedication, but you'd never know it by the blogger's flippant attitude. Forgive me if I missed an "inside joke" here but...jeez. "Just going to be huge prints of Americans"...I'm Canadian and I think that's disrespectful.

10. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The blogger's a rude little oik, true, but it's the video downpage where the "American Portrait Project" is explained in depth. Try that and ignore the text, OK?

11. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes--there ARE videos for the project--I read that in the article but it didn't give a website for the project. They DID mention kickstarter, so maybe the links are there? There are supposedly more than one video.

Hey--that blog dude did have the negative sizes...if he's right that thing is, technically, a 645!

12. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Kickstarter: Vanishing Cultures, by Dennis Manarchy

Here's the reward levels which include prints:
    Gold Reward: 18" x 24" Giclee Fine-Art Print
    Platinum: 30"x40” Giclee Fine-Art Print
    Diamond: 4-foot by 5-foot "Autumn's Eye" (Left and Right) Giclee Fine-Art Print
    Big Camera: Giclee Museum Quality Fine Art Print of "Christina In Distress"
    Super Big Camera: 16-foot print from the big camera on weatherproof canvas
    Super-Sized Negative: 6-foot by 4.5-foot Project Negative
    (emphasis added)

At no time does he mention that he's ever going to produce a real print enlargement from the project.

13. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think this page of the somewhat pretentiously called "The Foundation for the Preservation of American Culture", as seems to have been setup specifically for this project, is the most interesting one:

http://thefpac.org/videos.html

Note also the actual travel camera does NOT have a functional groundglass back, instead, the ground glass and negative stage are inside the bellows, where the photographer will be, and the fake ground glass on the back seems to be used as live electronic plasma display showing what is going on inside the bellows...:

[video=vimeo;27359714]http://vimeo.com/27359714[/video]

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    no wonder he needs 8 million bucks--hydraulics to open and close it--actuators for remote focusing, big plasma screens.

To tell the truth, that design is that problem, but how else can you create "sensation" among the public? If the guy just built a camera obscura out of a shipping container that can be schlepped around on a truck, well, THAT wouldn't be worth taking your eyes off your twitterboxes for, now would it?

Good luck to him, hey, ANYthing that brings regular photography, and what it is capable of doing, to the attention of the masses is ok in my book.

16. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well, like Manarchy said, it'll be like the circus coming into town.

Here's a thought: at a 35ft length, for a headshot with everything in focus, six feet high, what aperture is that for that DOF? Something just doesn't quite add up for that. I've poked around on the macro calculators, and it's just that somehow this isn't making sense to actually need a 35ft camera.

Lens Magnification and Depth of Field Calculator
    Focal length: 480mm
    Focusing distance: 2m
    Extension: 1575mm (about 5ft)
    f/stop: 90
    --------
    Magnification: 3.9:1
    And you'd have 200mm of DOF.

The prototype camera in his studio is much shorter than 35ft, and that's what he's using to make the current negatives. So, the actual camera is well under 10ft, and the rest is dark space.

17. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the *PLATFORM* is 35ft from end to end. The camera proper is not going to defy the laws of optics. But it is all about the hype and the show.

18. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Engagement

To me the crucial part of this huge camera project is the fact Dennis Manarchy, anything but anarchy, spends two days with his subject to make the exposure - To me subject engagement is the most crucial aspect of photography - Added to engagement is a technique so deeply ingrained it works automatically, like strands in a rope, one strengthening the other

I digress - All APUGists, apart from the despicable camera collectors, can learn from the engagement aspect of this project

I wish to sponsor this project at whatever level I can, as an age pensioner only $25 or so, but if lots of us put into this project we might help it to fruition

John
    new call sign to be Grumpy Old Man

19. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    8 million dollars, is kind of funny, at least he is getting a lot of FREE PRESS :smile:

i don't really think speding a few days with his sitters is engaging anymore than spending 20mins.
    good portrait photographers don't NEED to spend 2 or 3 days to engage with their subjects ...

john chiara has been doing something similar for a whlle now ...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum187/54649-ultra-ultra-large-beautiful-john-chiara.html

although he doesn't do 6' negatives ( are they rephotographed a smaller format ? or ??? to get the prints )
    chiara's are ilfochromes ... and analog!

20. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Oooops - There must be something wrong with me then, my best work with people, especially naked ones, happens after a few years of knowing and photographing them - That is how my best pics come except for the rare "gift" images

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there is a huge difference between 2 days and 2 years.
    in 2 days the subject hasn't taken down the facade
    that he or she would take down after 2 years.
    2 days is pretty much the same as an hour or two ...
    photographing nudes requires the subject to trust the photographer
    a deadpan portrait doesn't require the same trust ...

8million dollars, a walk in bellows, lcd/plasma screen, giant ink jet prints
    it sounds to me that it is more about 20seconds of fame and a gallery show ...

i can see if he was annie L and needed a helicopter and 45person entourage ...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2012
  22. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    PS - The precursor

Does anyone remember in which books the "Railroad Camera" was mentioned? - I mean this one, the image of which I have stolen from Photo.net, but no apologies as it looks like it was previously stolen to go on Photo.net

0040PD-10140584.jpg

Regarding the post above, even my professional environmental and arts documentation, in state and federal gov't collections in Australia, was better the longer I spent on the project and the more I knew the landscapes and people involved - Also, I do not photograph "art nudes" - My new work is strong naked portraits of strong beautiful women and the best images are coming from women in their 40s and 50s, with 10x8' negs celebrating their textural history - (The exhibition of these is booked for Fremantle, Western Australia in March 2014)

Also, I thought the figure requested on the Manarchy website is US$50,000, which seems very reasonable for the project - I have no way of understanding $8 million dollars, those sort of figures become meaningless to me - There is a big precedent for this kind of funding in the work of Christo, but he has had that aspect of his work wrapped up for a long time

New callsign to be
    Grumpy Old Man

23. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought about through Railroad Camera. The idea behind it was that the photo had to be a contact print for the PAris fair.

24. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like something you might have your picture take with at Disney World. The guys over at DPUG are working on something similar...
    6850263779_1f842114ee.jpg

25. mollypix

mollypix Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    fiml supply

Anybody any idea where I can get film in this size and who makes it?

26. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome to the forum! Are you thinking about building one of these?

I'm guessing that you'd either talk to Simon R Galley (of Ilford) on the board here, or else contact Keith Canham at Canham Cameras for a Kodak special order.

The Kodak special order is a minumum $15,000.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2012