35mm B&W Kodak High Speed Infrared Film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Richard Austin, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Richard Austin

Richard Austin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    Does anyone know where I can purchase this recently discontinued film?
    Thanks!

2. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

Try Silverprint or 7dayshop. But you had better be sitting down when you do this as there has been reports on APUG of some retailers with any Kodak I/R stock left (7dayshop) charging up to £20 per cassette which is a rip-off. However, I think you will find that this film is now extremely hard to find anywhere. We love the film and mourn its demise and I dread the day when our stock in the freezer is finally used up. Best of luck with your quest and if you should find some please pass it on.

Cheers,

Neil.

3. Richard Austin

Richard Austin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Neil, I will check that out.
    I've seen the 4 rolls being offered on eBay for $136 US!!

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's $34 a roll and it's about the same as 7Dayshop which has now reduced its price from £17.99 to £17.49 per roll so about $35! I wonder if the seller has seen the 7dayshop price and decided that this must be the market value.

Passenger to steward when told the price of a seat on the lifeboat: "That seems a very expensive price for a seat on the lifeboat"

Steward to passenger: "Well, please yourself but it is the last lifeboat left on the ship."

Not that original I'll admit and you could probably supply a better analogy but it conveys my feelings

pentaxuser

5. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a source in eastern Canada.About $25.00 a hit.I'm putting in an order.Shipping across the pond shouldn't be a problem.

6. Richard Austin

Richard Austin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Mike, I'm in Quebec, can you give me the name of your supplier? I'd really like to order some of this film as well. Thanks :smile:

7. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, now I know what I have in store for me for any future Type 55 purchases...

8. Martin Reed

Martin Reed Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry we ran out at Silverprint a while back. Very annoying, the stop/go approach from Kodak made it uncertain how much was in the supply chain, so we were unable to stockpile much. We got into a routine of ordering batches of 200 rolls, & it suddenly stopped coming, well before the announced close-off date.

9. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Martin,
    Thanks for the update. Our plan is to use up what we have then switch to another I/R film which I have recently seen examples from and they looked good. So I will be back to you to obtain the necessary much denser red filters in due course!

All the best,
    Neil.

10. Richard Austin

Richard Austin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are three other 35/120mm infrared films available that I know of:
    Ilford's SFX (it extends to 740nm, unlike Kodak's HIE which went to 900nm which will give better 'effects'), Efke PL 820 and Rollei 400.
    Bigcameraworkshops.co carries these items in Canada in case anyone is interested.
    I'm testing out the SFX now on my Hasselblad.

11. Schafphoto

Schafphoto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm seeing a lot of bricks and single rolls of HIE up on EBAY now. the prices are at a premuim, but we all knew that was going to happen...

Try Efke IR 820 if you want a cheaper IR effect, ASA 1 and a 072 cutoff filter, and a tripod. i have samples at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schafphoto/

12. Richard Austin

Richard Austin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, really great shots on your web site using the Efke film. Very impressive!
    Have you tried Ilford's SFX yet? Wondering what you think. I'm shooting a roll now, but haven't developed it yet.

13. dfoo

dfoo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Man, that is some great photography Schafphoto! Very jealous!! One question though... the pictures that had dogs & cats... if you need such long exposures how did you get them to stand still?!

14. DaveOttawa

DaveOttawa Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Agreed, the Efke has similar tonality to HIE, shame about the speed (lack of). SFX200 just doesn't have the look of HIE to me (this is all using the ilford supplied SFX filter).

15. Schafphoto

Schafphoto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    not all the photos on my FLICKR site are EFKE 820c. some are older HIE Kodak Infrared, and matbe even a Konica 750 IR or two...I used the ilford SFX filter on the EFKE with good results, just VERY SLOW!!! 2 seconds at f8 in bright sun...

16. Darkroom317

Darkroom317 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Got really lucky. My local camera shop had three rolls left. They just gave it to me because it was expired.
    I bought a roll earlier from them and paid around $10.00 for it.

17. sidearm613

sidearm613 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Richard

I have used both Efke IR820 and SFX (metered EI 6, R72 filter, tripod), and while I am still very much in my infrared learning stages, I can say with a fair amount of conviction that IR820 is much more similar to HIE than SFX is. IR820 is truly an infrared film, it is SUPER grainy, and it has a lot more of that "infrared effect." SFX is more of a "near infrared film", so if you stick an R72 filter in front of that lens, be prepared for a longish exposure because SFX is very insensitive if you filter out up to 720nm, and the film only goes up to 740nm. Efke also make the "Aura" version of their film (sorry hasselbladians, 35mm only), which has no AH backing, so it gets even more of that HIE halation effect.

Having said that, if you remove the filter and shoot the films as standard ISO 200 or 100 films, the SFX becomes the clear winner, as it is much smoother, nicer, less grainy, and more contrasy. IR820 is a very ugly 100 speed film, but a super cool film in IR. Buy a couple rolls of both, as both are super cool films that should be in your freezer if you like IR